Just Another NBA Series--(13/32)-- Light The Beam!

Indigo

With the Season about to start, I figured now would be a good time to finally finish restart my long awaited 32-team NBA project.  Going in order isn't going to be possible for me, so I'm going to post these as I gain ideas for them. 

Starting with...the Detroit Pistons.

I always liked the 2002 recolor of the 90's teal horse logo for Detroit. It actually has some character to it, other than the plain red/blue basketball that we've seen different variations of. THis time around, I'm removing the navy, going full red/blue/silver.

y7S7SG2.png

Now for the Uniforms.

Association/Icon: I brought the recolored horse-head wordmark to the front of the jerseys (just like the 90's Grant Hill-era), I swapped the stripe colors back to normal, and the number gets the logo treatment with the outline. "DP" goes on the shorts leg, while the horse-ball goes on the waistband.

Statement: I brought back the fan-beloved red alternate. It's a simple recolor, really, but the fans adored it, so back in the rotation it goes.

City: For as much flak as the pistons get for their "Motor City" alternates (especially on these boards), It is an actual nickname for the city. Silver, mostly used for trim on the main jerseys, becomes the base. The stripes bring back the teal, gold, and red of the Grant Hill-era, while black and gold go on the wordmark & numbers. The waistband, shorts trim, and neckline are half teal/half red, corresponding with the nearest stripe.

qosyDqr.png3b2HA9M.png

JNCpW93.png

LRT7G3r.png

And the new courts:

Main: Nothing spectacular, just placing the recolored logo on the current court.

City: Old 90's logo returns to center court, with "Motor City" in the mid-range area.

zg5D9RG.png

JsVhPo2.png

• Like 5

Next up are the Portland Trail Blazers.

Only major change here is that Portland returns to a lowercase font. the Logo is stacked similar to the original 1971 logo.

MgV4WMT.png

Association/Icon: Over their entire half-century of existence, Portland  has never had the full name "Trail Blazers" on a uniform. That all changes today. Silver trim is removed from the neck, shoulders, and sash.

Statement: for some reason, Portland likes to experiment with their red jersey. The haven't had a true, inverted alternate jersey since 2012. While theirs nothing wrong with experimenting,  the Blazers are one of those teams that can get by with a simple recolor.

City: Speaking of experimentation.... The Blazers unveiled a silver-and-black monochromatic earned jersey. (they said it's because Dame, being from Oakland, was a Raiders fan).  It wasn't bad, but it got me thinking, what if they had a jersey made up of nothing but grey tones?  Call it the "gray-dient"(the name is corny, I know).

3fi17nH.png

lZxjDQV.png

Sr0aym2.png

jPjmkpZ.png

Main Court: Much like their current court, the apron is two-toned, but I used the jersey sash as the dividing line instead of the logo stripes.

City Court: Everything goes greyscale like the jerseys, with the famed "Rip City" at center court.

HNacRuR.png

5hFCPol.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

For our third installment we have the Charlotte Hornets.

Association/Icon: The Hornets get a C+ in my book for their update last offseason. The signature jersey-only pinstipes return, but at the expense of the color purple being relegated to trim. This time around, purple is featured more prominently, especially on the Icon jersey. The multi-colored pinstripes return, because not only are they synonymous with the Hornets, but it helps distinguish them from other pinstriped teams. The pants get a Florida Gators football-style stripe down the sides. The "Crown C" returns on the left leg.

Statement: "Charlotte" moves from the white jersey to the purple alternate.

City: The Hornets are 1/4 with their City uniforms, the only good one being last season's mint & gold. This version replaces the marketing ploy of "Buzz City" with Charlotte's actual nickname, "Queen City".  Green and white, the colors of Charlotte's city flag, become the base of this jersey. Checkered flags grace the sides of the uniform, not only a nod to Charlotte's rich racing history, but also to the Bobcats old alternates. Pinstripes become single-striped like the original 90's Hornets.

raBfy85.png

YpYIOk1.png

KIQGTAW.png

qTw3D3X.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (Hornets added)

Pretty good stuff here, only miss in my opinion is removing "Charlotte" from the two primary jerseys. Don't really care which one you put it on, but I hate it when teams only put their mascot name on their jerseys. I think the teal jersey's shorts are missing some white, maybe make the logo white for a pop on the front of the shorts. The city alt is fine, feels a lot more like a "City of Charlotte" jersey than a Hornets jersey, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Super glad to see Queen City over Buzz City.

I like the other jerseys you've got here too, all very solid looks for these teams.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Now for the Western Conference Champs, the Phoenix Suns.

The Suns love to use both black and purple, so i decided to bring back the old bright purple and substitute black for the current dark purple. Since the Valley unis were such a hit, the entire set of uniforms is based around gradients, as you'll see with the uniforms.

m5x2rjW.png

Association/Icon: The Suns half-baked attempt to pay homage to the Barkley era wasn't perfect, but it definitely was my main inspiration for this set. Firstly, the Steve Nash 2000's wordmark returns, as this one just screams "Suns" compared to the new one. The number is placed inside of the sunburst, as a nod to the Barkley set and the 2014 set. The wordmark, sunburst, back number and side panels all get a vertical light purple to orange gradient, outlined in dark purple(the inverse on the Icon). Collar and shoulder stripes remain from the current set. The side panels are a vertical gradient with rays at the bottom the mimic the sunburst.

Statement: The gradient is ditched for solid light purple with a dark purple outline. The collar and shoulder trim follow suit.

City: Arizona is know for it's deserts, and so I thought it seemed fitting to make "The Valley" actually look like the valleys. A sandy color becomes the base, with the collar, shoulder trim and side panels getting an orange/white/dark purple striping pattern. "The Valley" is displayed on the front, with old-timey western font to boot. The phoenix-ball secondary moves to the shorts, while a recolored Arizona flag takes it's place on the waistband.

N7SjYwd.png

peTwy9k.png

yTrmr4B.pngNJf0jIB.png

Main Court: the gradient present throughout the identity is placed around the apron. 

Kp4fd2n.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:18 PM, QCS said:

Pretty good stuff here, only miss in my opinion is removing "Charlotte" from the two primary jerseys. Don't really care which one you put it on, but I hate it when teams only put their mascot name on their jerseys. I think the teal jersey's shorts are missing some white, maybe make the logo white for a pop on the front of the shorts. The city alt is fine, feels a lot more like a "City of Charlotte" jersey than a Hornets jersey, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Super glad to see Queen City over Buzz City.

I like the other jerseys you've got here too, all very solid looks for these teams.

I'll definitely go back and work on the Hornets road/"Icon".  As for the City jersey, it's supposed to be a 'City of Charlotte" jersey. if Nike is going to force City jerseys on us, might as well make them actually tie-in to the city the team is playing for/in.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

For our third installment we have the Charlotte Hornets.

Association/Icon: The Hornets get a C+ in my book for their update last offseason. The signature jersey-only pinstipes return, but at the expense of the color purple being relegated to trim. This time around, purple is featured more prominently, especially on the Icon jersey. The multi-colored pinstripes return, because not only are they synonymous with the Hornets, but it helps distinguish them from other pinstriped teams. The pants get a Florida Gators football-style stripe down the sides. The "Crown C" returns on the left leg.

Statement: "Charlotte" moves from the white jersey to the purple alternate.

City: The Hornets are 1/4 with their City uniforms, the only good one being last season's mint & gold. This version replaces the marketing ploy of "Buzz City" with Charlotte's actual nickname, "Queen City".  Green and white, the colors of Charlotte's city flag, become the base of this jersey. Checkered flags grace the sides of the uniform, not only a nod to Charlotte's rich racing history, but also to the Bobcats old alternates. Pinstripes become single-striped like the original 90's Hornets.

raBfy85.png

YpYIOk1.png

KIQGTAW.png

qTw3D3X.png

Adding more purple is a good move

• Like 1

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (Suns added)
  • 1 month later...

It's been a few months since I last posted on this thread, so I'll give you two teams for your troubles. 

First we have the reigning NBA Champions Milwaukee Bucks.The Bucks have paired a wide range of colors with their signature green, but I've tried to combine the best elements from their history.  The current Buck logo and wordmark remain, but are placed onto a red triangle similar to the logos of the 2000s.  

spacer.png

Association/Icon: The legendary Irish Rainbow  returns, but the trim containing it is green/red/green (white/red/white on Icon) as a tribute to the Kareem-era jerseys. Similar to those jerseys,  the wordmark is red outlined in green (white for Icon). The Icon now reads the team name instead of the city name.

Statement: "Milwaukee" replaces the team name, while green and red have swapped.

City: The Irish rainbow stays, but is now in shades of cream to represent the famous cream bricks of buildings in Milwaukee, where the city earned the nickname "Cream City". That nickname returns to the forefront in the same beer-like font from the 2019-20 City edition, this time, however, the number font matches. The red trim is replaced with purple from the late 90's/Ray Allen set.

lKvecac.png

URXGvwM.png

1m6KS3M.pngY80yfjx.png

I decided to drop some new courts for the Bucks after seeing various shades of green on St. Patty's. 

Main: The Irish Rainbow sidepanels are placed on the sidelines, while the baseline has a color block of red to separate it.

City: Just like the jerseys, the City court is just a purple & cream-ified version of the main court, but I brought back the legendary Mecca court diamonds, only in (you guessed it) shades of cream.

ozviaYw.png

fyc8Rsk.png

• Like 5

Next we have the team those Bucks beat in the playoffs, the Brooklyn Nets.

I tried to give the Nets' branding some life, so I replaced black with the 2000's/Kidd navy blue. The tie-dye-era wordmark goes on the shield, while the team name arches above the shield instead of below.

kEVG1DB.png

Association/Icon: The 90's wordmarkgoes on the front, given only a navy(white on Icon) outline. The iconic net side panels from the Jason Kidd Finals run return.

Statement: The base for the jersey becomes gray, similar to the current and 2000's alternates.

City: The classic ABA/Dr. J uniform becomes the new city edition, but the new number font stays, and the wordmark reads BKYLN, similar to the current alternates.

jJV6y9n.pnghBRN5GS.png9q0naMG.pngtSrM4ac.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand (MIL & BKN added)
  • 2 weeks later...

I get where you were going with the Bucks, but I think most modern fans associate red with the lean years before Giannis arrived rather than Kareem and Oscar. 

I think this past year firmly established the Bucks as a green & cream team with gold or black trim.

• 2 months later...

Dusting off the cobwebs for this thread with the Utah Jazz!

The Jazz have had many-a colors and schemes (with a new one reportedly on the way), but their most iconic moments have come in purple. Combine that with the navy they currently wear, and you get a combination of Jazz history, as reflected with the logo (90's mountains, 80's/2010's wordmark).

dUQtF2k.png

Association/Icon: It's retro night in Utah, as these two jerseys are faithful recreations of the 1981-96 jerseys (except for the new indigo). The mountains from the iconic 97=04 uniforms return here, recolored in the triple stripe seen elsewhere on the jersey.

Statement: All white is eliminated from the uniform, sort of like the 79-81 road uniform.

City: The Red Rock city is inverted, using white as the base and cooler shades of purple instead of warm colors.

JwYD0lE.pngUqkF7ta.pngXsnxpEZ.pngZFUYVFl.png

Main Court: continuing with the 80's theme, the two stripes on the baseline are a callback to the 1980's  Delta Center (funnily enough, they still play there today under a new name).

0egvo2X.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Now for the Western Conference Champs, the Phoenix Suns.

The Suns love to use both black and purple, so i decided to bring back the old bright purple and substitute black for the current dark purple. Since the Valley unis were such a hit, the entire set of uniforms is based around gradients, as you'll see with the uniforms.

m5x2rjW.png

Association/Icon: The Suns half-baked attempt to pay homage to the Barkley era wasn't perfect, but it definitely was my main inspiration for this set. Firstly, the Steve Nash 2000's wordmark returns, as this one just screams "Suns" compared to the new one. The number is placed inside of the sunburst, as a nod to the Barkley set and the 2014 set. The wordmark, sunburst, back number and side panels all get a vertical light purple to orange gradient, outlined in dark purple(the inverse on the Icon). Collar and shoulder stripes remain from the current set. The side panels are a vertical gradient with rays at the bottom the mimic the sunburst.

Statement: The gradient is ditched for solid light purple with a dark purple outline. The collar and shoulder trim follow suit.

City: Arizona is know for it's deserts, and so I thought it seemed fitting to make "The Valley" actually look like the valleys. A sandy color becomes the base, with the collar, shoulder trim and side panels getting an orange/white/dark purple striping pattern. "The Valley" is displayed on the front, with old-timey western font to boot. The phoenix-ball secondary moves to the shorts, while a recolored Arizona flag takes it's place on the waistband.

N7SjYwd.png

peTwy9k.png

yTrmr4B.pngNJf0jIB.png

This is how gradients should be done. 

• Like 1

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand--(7/30)--Utah Returns to Purple
  • 1 month later...

Returning to this thread with a team that I've held under wraps for a while, here are the Denver Nuggets!

The Nuggets have gone through an interesting visual history, but their most recognizable looks are the 80's rainbow and the powder blue/navy/gold combo. Other than an throwaway alternate, these two ideas have never overlapped until now.  

RNoMAyQ.png

Association/Icon: This mid-2000/2010s alternate becomes the basis for the main jerseys, only in white and powder.

Statement: The aforementioned alternate is brought back in its entirety. 

City: The Colorado flag is evoked in this uniform, with the mountain rainbow becoming the white stripe on the flag. The pants stripe comes from the 2003-2017 uniforms.

K0Wnyeu.png

FFbMC1P.png

iFmgibP.png

h7QMtJ9.png

Main Court: The rainbow pattern is applied to the keys, while the apron is powder, similar to the 2000s court.

NupZmFO.png

• Like 10

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another Casual NBA Rebrand--(8/30)--Denver Rediscovers Powder's Power
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Dusting off the cobwebs for this thread with the Utah Jazz!

The Jazz have had many-a colors and schemes (with a new one reportedly on the way), but their most iconic moments have come in purple. Combine that with the navy they currently wear, and you get a combination of Jazz history, as reflected with the logo (90's mountains, 80's/2010's wordmark).

dUQtF2k.png

Association/Icon: It's retro night in Utah, as these two jerseys are faithful recreations of the 1981-96 jerseys (except for the new indigo). The mountains from the iconic 97=04 uniforms return here, recolored in the triple stripe seen elsewhere on the jersey.

Statement: All white is eliminated from the uniform, sort of like the 79-81 road uniform.

City: The Red Rock city is inverted, using white as the base and cooler shades of purple instead of warm colors.

JwYD0lE.pngUqkF7ta.pngXsnxpEZ.pngZFUYVFl.png

Main Court: continuing with the 80's theme, the two stripes on the baseline are a callback to the 1980's  Delta Center (funnily enough, they still play there today under a new name).

0egvo2X.png

I'm a Utah Jazz fan. I would love this concept if it removed the mountain outline. I've always thought of the Jazz as a team whose colors should be purple, yellow and green. I also think these uniforms are miles better than what the team actually unveiled on June 17, 2022. @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers Is there any way you would be willing to create a modified version of these without the mountain outline, and with the tri-colored purple, yellow and green ball the team used from 2010-2022? The way the tri-colored ball in the logo should be colored is as follows:
White uniform: purple on far left panel, yellow on left middle panel, green in right middle panel, purple on far right panel.
Purple uniform: white on far left panel, yellow on left middle panel, green in right middle panel, white on far right panel.
The J-note with tri-color ball on the shorts should match the J-note with tri-color ball on the jerseys.

• 3 months later...

It's been *checks notes* 4 months since I last posted on this thread, and i'm not going to pretend like I've been impossibly busy. I do, however, have 3 new teams to kick off the new season, starting with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Cleveland has gone through a variety of differnt branding ideas in 50+ years, but they've always returned to wine and (some shade of) gold. This season they've swapped out athletic gold for metallic gold, combining that with a very bland jersey set. The  1980's/1990's mashup of their current wordmark stays, but the sword from the LeBron 2010's era returns.

4aJm7Pf.jpeg

Association/Icon: Wine/gold/wine (gold/wine/gold on the Icon jersey) trim is added to match the wordmark and give some character to the jerseys, while the Jazz's former pants stripe follows Donovan Mitchell to his new team.

Statement: The iconic (or infamous, depending on who you ask) black jerseys worn in the 2016 Finals return, only this time sleeveless and with the new "C' and color scheme.

City: A simple recolor of the Association jersey, but in the color scheme of the late 90's.

6RG2Xk7.pngsXuKKRV.png

fK8hXzx.png

QWqAC9C.png

• Like 3

Boston Celtics

One of the most iconic and legendary brands in all of sports is the Boston Celtics. That being said, still having a white man as their logo seems a bit dated, so everyhting black becomes dark green, while everything not green becomes gold.

Iug4O1D.png

Association/Icon: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (although "CELTICS" is back on the Icon instead of "BOSTON")

Statement: A green-on-green alt seems more appropriate for the C's than a black one, taking cues from Boston's 2021 Earned edition

City: The City jersey is a tribute to the late great Bill Russell, with the late 50's-60's wordmark on the front, gold striping, and eleven #6 shamrocks representin the 11 championships won during Russell's career.

--switching to @edjb93's template. lmk which one you guys like better.--

AhgMDYd.png

MXqAWTJ.png

btVzwsm.png

tLfmqZD.png

y82pENc.png

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Boston Celtics

One of the most iconic and legendary brands in all of sports is the Boston Celtics. That being said, still having a white man as their logo seems a bit dated, so everyhting black becomes dark green, while everything not green becomes gold.

Iug4O1D.png

Association/Icon: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (although "CELTICS" is back on the Icon instead of "BOSTON")

Statement: A green-on-green alt seems more appropriate for the C's than a black one, taking cues from Boston's 2021 Earned edition

City: The City jersey is a tribute to the late great Bill Russell, with the late 50's-60's wordmark on the front, gold striping, and eleven #6 shamrocks representin the 11 championships won during Russell's career.

--switching to @edjb93's template. lmk which one you guys like better.--

AhgMDYd.png

MXqAWTJ.png

btVzwsm.png

tLfmqZD.png

y82pENc.png

Not a fan of the green on green, but that City Edition is on point

• Like 2

ZUH86xc.png

Atlanta Hawks

Altlanta has made some good branding moves recently. They brought back a modernized version of the Pac-man logo a few years back, and then proceeded to return to red/yellow/black in 2020. I wanted to keep moving them in that direction, as it's the most recognizable period of thier history.

oiJdGBy.png

Association/Icon: The entire set is based off of the 1982-92 Dominique Wilkins set, although modernized a bit. The stripes are now angled rectangles, as to not look as garish or take up as much space. The 2007-15 font returns, as it fits the sharper, modern vibe of these uniforms.

Statement: Atlanta is known for their black jerseys, so it's only right to include one here.

City: A peach-themed alternate for the The Peach State. What more is there to say?

ecFqgCM.png

ZhgEk8c.png

10uTJdO.png

3jwySKa.png

tmQ0FS8.png

• Like 6

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another NBA Series--(11/32)--Cavs, Celtics & Hawks

Toronto Raptors

Toronto officially re-added purple back to thier color scheme in 2021, but the only place we saw it was thier 2021 Earned edition. It's about time the Raptors returned to the color scheme that propelled them to a top tier look early on.

aGyY8Re.png

Association/Icon: The side panel is cut in the middle to simply (but not subtly) highlight the Raptors chevron, present in almost every iteration of Raps unis, and a staple of their identity as The North.

Statement: The half purple/half black base is a nod to the early 2000s set that Vince Carter made popluar, with the side panel going red/white as a nod to the Canadian flag.

City: Yes, it's corny, and yes, they've done this already (very frequently, too), but what better way to reflect the city of Toronto than with the black and gold of Drake's OVO brand? The pinstripes of the original Barney's return, and the throwback "Toronto" font featured on all of the OVO uniforms returns as well.

4hUqq39.png

HnwWdT5.png

YL3Em2B.png

O1Bv55v.png

Yrn2wmm.pngp0TVLhA.png

• Like 4