MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of any French-speaking world teams that use the "CF" construction. That reads Spanish to me. Maybe they're trying as hard as possible to be a literal mirror of Toronto. Maybe it stands for cluster:censored:. Who knows.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 hours ago, GFB said:

This is cool... I’m down with this French national team vibe (assuming those are representing hoops)

It's just the adidas three stripes. I think Portland had something similar. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah Montreal even with the logo rebrand should stick with the black-and-blue stripes. In any form that might take, but that's like *their* look. Be a shame to drop that, but then again black-and-blue seems pretty hard to screw up as a combo so I'm game for almost anything. I like CF.

But FC is also not uncommon in Ligue 1/Ligue 2. Bordeaux, Metz, Nantes, Chambly, Niort, Paris FC, Pau, Sochaux, Toulouse, and Valenciennes all use FC. Granted, I think MTL could have been a unique opportunity to add "Olympique" to the mix and have it actually be fitting, and I also think Stade de Montreal just sounds sick. That said, they also know they have english fans, and MLS is always about this parity, even with the names and branding. 

I don't really care super strongly about the "FC" anymore, cause French teams use that convention too, I mostly care about what the crest looks like when it comes out. If it's just the Fleur de Lis, with the initials below it, then that could well be the best crest in the league no question.

spacer.png

The team wants a bilingual name and Impact fits this bill. Olympique in french, Olympic in english? Also problems with Olympique are Marseille Olympique trademark + the spelling, 

Heck, would've been OM Olympique de Marseille, Olympique de Montréal.

I dont understand ditching Impact name, not perfect, but still, that team went to semi finals againts Torontoes not that long ago..

Bad move IMHO but hey, with the year they had, I mean, I dont follow em anymore, I'm fed up.

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

The team wants a bilingual name and Impact fits this bill. Olympique in french, Olympic in english? Also problems with Olympique are Marseille Olympique trademark + the spelling, 

Heck, would've been OM Olympique de Marseille, Olympique de Montréal.

I dont understand ditching Impact name, not perfect, but still, that team went to semi finals againts Torontoes not that long ago..

Bad move IMHO but hey, with the year they had, I mean, I dont follow em anymore, I'm fed up.

And Lyon. And don't forget that Lille is technically Olympique Sport Club. Credit where due.

spacer.png

I can’t wait for MLS teams to actually have 2nd and 3rd kits that are somewhat creative and don’t stick to their brand colors. I’d love to see DC United with a blue/black/bronze kit that mimics the Capitals and Wizards of the late 90s. 

Establish a traditional primary shirt color/look and then have some fun. 

5 minutes ago, BC985 said:

I can’t wait for MLS teams to actually have 2nd and 3rd kits that are somewhat creative and don’t stick to their brand colors. I’d love to see DC United with a blue/black/bronze kit that mimics the Capitals and Wizards of the late 90s. 

This is why I miss the 3rd kits... the Sounders always did something wild but usually quite good. Even though I am obligated to dislike the Timbers I always liked their fauxback thirds (which have since become predominantly their change kits). 

spacer.png

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

11 hours ago, BC985 said:

They were doing that like four years ago! Not a ton, of course, but more teams than are now.

It is interesting that MLS went back to templated, color-swap white aways, no thirds whatsoever, at the same time the NBA went to a surplus of jerseys, using weird non-brand colors a la global soccer clash kits. Maybe that speaks to the needed differences between a league in growth mode with unestablished brands vs. a long-time, cash-cow league. Or maybe it's just that these decisions are arbitrarily made by creative directors trying to justify their high salaries.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

They were doing that like four years ago! Not a ton, of course, but more teams than are now.

It is interesting that MLS went back to templated, color-swap white aways, no thirds whatsoever, at the same time the NBA went to a surplus of jerseys, using weird non-brand colors a la global soccer clash kits. Maybe that speaks to the needed differences between a league in growth mode with unestablished brands vs. a long-time, cash-cow league. Or maybe it's just that these decisions are arbitrarily made by creative directors trying to justify their high salaries.

Thank Adidas and Nike. MLS I'm guessing is really low on Adidas' list. 

14 hours ago, 2eight said:

Looks like we'll have some 3rd jerseys this year based on this from FootyHeadlines

Atlanta United 2021 Third Kit Info Leaked

Interested seeing this. 

Outside of when the Athletic article debuted. There has been almost no chatter in the normal Seattle circles of a 3rd kit debuting. 

Will be interested to see this develop.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

FH is also speculating that LAFC might end up with a pink away or third based on this range. Maybe there was a mix-up at HQ with Miami this whole time.

adidas-to-release-pink-lafc-2021-third-kit-2.jpgadidas-to-release-pink-lafc-2021-third-kit-3.jpg

Depends on the look but I'm not against like a hypothetical sunset-pink kit for LA. Doesn't look like the same shade of pink as Miami, and if they aren't going to use pink as a primary color for a kit (which is also a huge whiff that they didn't/haven't), well then why not?

That being said, I'd vastly prefer a white-and-orange accent throwback to the LA Aztecs as a third kit. Wish we'd use the red of the scheme more in the away kit, but MLS's dumb rules about white-alternate kits. Hope that's going to go away with the re-introduction of third kits. You know one thing they could do, though? MLS should make kits cheaper, then more people would buy them. I can get a Liverpool kit with the print on the back and league patches, shipped from the UK, for cheaper than an MLS kit that would ship domestic. That's nuts. If they want to really sell kits more, they need to drop the price, and I don't mean by selling that "replica" garbage. The Adidas replica kits are terrible quality. No they need to find a way to drop the price for the primary, authentic kits.

spacer.png

Archived