MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

I only just noticed how close in details this year's Galaxy away kit is to its 1997 inspiration. Even the details I thought were weird, lazy choices, like the white parts, are historically accurate. Especially interesting as the original was a Nike design... makes me wish 2020/21 went even further into retro inspirations if manufacturer differences aren't really a problem. 

295658.jpg.jpg 

It's funny how so many companies rotate through the same basic templates as well, in terms of collars and basic design. This shirt would look good no matter if it was remade by Puma, Joma, Umbro or Macron. It's when the new kit maker tries to add their own take on a design that it gets a little annoying. 

Arsenal 2021-22 Teamgeist Jersey Leaked - Footy HeadlinesArsenal 2021-22 Teamgeist Jersey Leaked - Footy Headlines

At least throw a collar on that if you're "paying homage" to that shirt. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Camden Crazy said:

How sad is it that the only way we could get more pink was with a sponsor lol

It's progress though, and Columbus not having a yellow jersey still irks me. I know the owners signed off on it but dangit, someone should tell there's a reason they sing, "We all cheer for a yellow soccer team". 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Adidas fauxback to 2006 range for teams they didn’t even have at the time is just awful. And that was the era/World Cup that got me caring about sports design! But too uncanny. And the culture nostalgia cycle isn’t even on the mid 00s right now, why?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I worry about most MLS teams next year, because adidas has been known to mail in their work for anyone not a national teams those years. I think the Teamgiest apparel is part of that. They can't even be worn in the leagues, at least for the English teams, they're just to get extra cash in the bank. They'll probably wear them as pregame shirts one time, and that's it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 2:10 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I worry about most MLS teams next year, because adidas has been known to mail in their work for anyone not a national teams those years. I think the Teamgiest apparel is part of that. They can't even be worn in the leagues, at least for the English teams, they're just to get extra cash in the bank. They'll probably wear them as pregame shirts one time, and that's it. 

wait, and i know i'm late but why? What uniform reg are they breaking?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

11 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

wait, and i know i'm late but why? What uniform reg are they breaking?

The EPL limits how many uniforms can be worn, which is why the Teamgeist jerseys wouldn't normally be allowed to be worn, even for one game.  MLS doesn't have third jerseys, except for Atlanta this year, so they are happy to allow the Prime Blue uniforms for a game or two each year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Waffles said:

An interesting point about this: A St. Louis-based company will be sponsoring the Charlotte expansion franchise rather than the one in its own city. 

It's not surprising: Centene is investing around a $1 billion in a new Charlotte campus, so there's more motivation to build their brand in that market. 

United Healthcare has stayed with the Revolution for 10 years, despite not being offered on the Mass state exchange for many of those years, and despite a team coming to Minnesota in that time. But the Minnesota team is owned by the guy who had to resign from UHC due to a fraud investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

Revs have made the new brand official. Nothing new to close readers of this board, I don't think, but let us pay our final respects to MLS 1996. 

I still don't love the final product here, but I think the Revs have done a lot right with this process -- sticking with the name, choosing pretty unique shape and design relative to rest of the league. 

Goodbye, Crayola flag. You were the bes- well, you definitely had personality. 25 years for something so clearly of its time is an accomplishment in its own way. May you live forever in throwback merchandise to a simpler time.

I’m still cautious about how they will apply the Strike-R. They really need to just use the wordless logo on the kits

07Giants.pngnyy.png

As a 26 year Revs STH, I wasn't happy about the rebrand when it first leaked. I'm not a huge fan of the crayon flag, but it grew on me and I'm going to miss it.

That said, I think the sash/slash was completely unnecessary and the quadrangular bunting brought little to the conversation. The "R' and the font behind it are great.

I just threw this together to remove the slash and make the bunting hexagonal (hello, six states of NE) and I think it looks way cleaner:
spacer.png

patriotssignature.png

Leave it to the New England Revolution braintrust to (A) follow an historic on-field achievement - setting a new record for most points in an MLS season - by almost immediately announcing the replacement of the logo under which said feat was accomplished, and (B) prominently featuring a "red strikethrough" of the initial invoking their team name in the new badge, despite a strikethrough traditionally signifying a mistake, or information that's meant to be deleted.

22 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Leave it to the New England Revolution braintrust to (A) follow an historic on-field achievement - setting a new record for most points in an MLS season - by almost immediately announcing the replacement of the logo under which said feat was accomplished, and (B) prominently featuring a "red strikethrough" of the initial invoking their team name in the new badge, despite a strikethrough traditionally signifying a mistake, or information that's meant to be deleted.

.Seeing as how quickly the Crew logo was swapped in to everything this year, I'm starting to think it's the league pushing this instead of the team.  In Columbus's case, the new logo was already being set up in the new stadium, so I'm not sure why the Revs needed to push this forward so quickly if the league isn't behind it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Still not a fan of how it looks. I still love the flag and how absolutely unique it is. But some aspects of the overall package I like. The new tree emblem and crossed cannons both utilizing 96 helps remind that it was a founding team. 
That video is throwing a lot a shade “Proudly not another F.C.” 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

46 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

.Seeing as how quickly the Crew logo was swapped in to everything this year, I'm starting to think it's the league pushing this instead of the team.  In Columbus's case, the new logo was already being set up in the new stadium, so I'm not sure why the Revs needed to push this forward so quickly if the league isn't behind it. 

Given the timeframe of rebrands, I think this time was when the rebrand would happen regardless of any team performance. My sense with the Crew is that they pushed theirs to midseason because it would've been weird to celebrate a title and then immediately change everything... but that move backfired, along with almost everything else.

The strikethrough is a bit weird, but a navy kit with a red sash would be nice. 

It's the "R" monogram that kills it for me. Always monogram with your location, not nickname!!!

13 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Still not a fan of how it looks. I still love the flag and how absolutely unique it is. But some aspects of the overall package I like. The new tree emblem and crossed cannons both utilizing 96 helps remind that it was a founding team. 
That video is throwing a lot a shade “Proudly not another F.C.” 

I laughed out loud when I saw the "proudly not another FC" bit. That was one of many reasons I think this is a really successful rebrand, agreeing with you there (and also not liking the crest). At least something's keeping the spirit of 96 alive.

Archived