MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good writeup on Boston.com with a few interviews.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-revolution/2021/11/04/new-england-revolution-new-logo-rebrand/?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Atwitter

My favourite quote comes from VP Cathal Conlon.

And as Conlon noted, the logo was indicative of a club stuck in time.

“It sort of became a symbol of the progress we weren’t making as a club,” said Conlon. “Every other original club had done something, had changed their brand, had tweaked something or done something different and we hadn’t. That intransigence almost became a symbol that we were not invested, that we don’t care. ‘God, they can’t even change the logo.'”

I'm glad they finally caught wind of what people on these boards have been saying for yeeeeeears.

Honestly not a fan. I get the flag being "outdated" since they're the only club that hasn't changed their logo, But there was something so nice & unique about it. I liked the way the had the Soccer ball made up the stars on the flag, and the "crayon" lines were so simple. Maybe update it sure, but with this whole new logo, I don't know what I'm looking at.  

More reason to hope Revs finally win it all this year. So the Champ Merch can have the current logo on it.  

The way the sash runs still bothers me. It makes the logo look. more like a no parking sign.

A sash should be a backdrop. But, I would like to see the Revs in a navy blue kit with a red sash, or better yet , a white kit with red sash like Peru and River Plate

I saw, I came, I left.

21 hours ago, Beantown77 said:

I think these are all winners.
spacer.png

Well, I'd grant you that they're all more aesthetically pleasing than the actual primary mark. 

That said...

* I find the pentagonal containment shape of the "Defend the Fort" secondary very appealing. I love that it serves as a nod to the idea of the Revolutionary War era fortifications of New England and the Revolution's longstanding supporters section. Alas, there are six New England states, which is why I understand the pushback some might have against using it.  "Better a hexagon," they might say. To which I'd reply, "Sure, if you want to be accused of aping Wolverhampton Wanderers or the Houston Dynamo." In any event, the pentagon's bold simplicity strikes me as being a plus.

* The mark comprised of the crossed cannons and cannonballs has potential. I'd opt to lose the pair of cannonballs on the left and righthand sides of the logo, replacing them - respectively - with an N and an E for New England.  Then, 96 could be placed in the single cannonball at the bottom of the logo. Affix that device in a containment shape - perhaps, the pentagon -  and you'd be on to something.

* The six-pointed star mark is interesting. Its points would represent the six New England states. Further, six-pointed stars were not uncommon on Revolutionary War era flags. Early versions of the Stars and Stripes featured them, as did General George Washington's Commander-in-Chief standard. I also like the fact that the pentagon fits neatly within the star's core.  That said, I'd lose the small circles inside each of the star's individual points, as well as the arrow/chevron devices between them; they strike me as needlessly cluttering the mark.

* I've always been torn over giving too much weight to the Flag of New England as a part of New England Revolution branding. While I recognize its importance as a regional symbol, I've always feared that its presence in team iconography would lead to Red being given too much prominence in the club's color scheme (I prefer Navy Blue as the clear primary hue, with Red and White as the secondaries) and Green eventually officially creeping into it. That said, I could see myself warming to the triangular mark containing the pine tree as a secondary logo (used as a jock tag mark, or just below the collar on the back of the jersey). 

* While I like the upper righthand logo's nod to today's Freedom Trail and the cobblestone streets of colonial Boston, I see its utility within team branding as fairly limited. It strikes me as something that would better serve the Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau.  

* There's nothing at all special about the lower lefthand logo. It's simplicity borders on the generic. It strikes me as being the least creative, least visually engaging mark amongst the secondaries. Meh.

One thing I do find myself thinking as I look at these marks and the primary: Why in the world did this rebrand require seven logos? A primary mark and six secondary marks? Really?" 

This strikes me as something I've come to refer to as "Brand Bloat". There seems to be an increasing  tendency to cram as many ideas and components into an identity package as possible. It's as though branding professionals and their clients can't seem to bring themselves to part with anything even remotely considered during the creative process. If one logo is good, than two would be better... and seven would be ideal.

Look, I've come to expect this from minor pro baseball. Why just introduce one mascot when we can have five? If you like our new home and road uniforms, you're going to go nuts over our home alternate, road alternate, weekend uni, weekend alt, weekend road alt, turn-back-the-clock uni, what-might-have-been alt, another-thing-that-might-have-been alt, something-we-never-really-considered-seriously-but-hey-let's-pretend-it-might-have-been-alt!!!

That said, this is a major pro sports franchise we're talking about here. Is there any other MLS club that's unveiled seven logos as part of a rebrand? Show a bit of restraint.

Honestly... it's all overkill. Less is more.      

19 hours ago, tigers said:

Palm Trees?

You post a lot of nonsense, but this has to be at the top.  Where do you see palm trees in any of this?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

5 hours ago, bleuet said:

Like the shape, unusual.

Colors are fine. yes the R is tricky, but works, everyone's talking about it.

Montreal, please take note.

I think Montreal’s problem is kinda the opposite: nice logo, but everything else about their rebrand was a slap in the face to their supporters. And they’re not exactly a team who can afford to lose support these days.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

One thing I do find myself thinking as I look at these marks and the primary: Why in the world did this rebrand require seven logos? A primary mark and six secondary marks? Really?" 

I agree that it's weird to introduce so many at once... But it seems that MLS teams don't really use their secondary logos very much, so I imagine that these extra marks will probably only be used as jocktag or back-of-the-neck logos. Teams change those out all the time, so having 6 options feels more understandable when I look at it in that context. We'll see how they use them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, that cannon logo is pretty sweet—feels a bit validating to my Revs concept :P Though I agree with some of @Brian in Boston's ideas for it... A couple very quick/sloppy edits:

zYxmGvc.png

(The cannonball itself didn't have enough breathing room to also fit inside the containers, IMO)

Not really feeling the two in the right column; the fundamental ideas are really nice, but the compositions are a bit confusing to me, I suppose.

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

That said, this is a major pro sports franchise we're talking about here. Is there any other MLS club that's unveiled seven logos as part of a rebrand? Show a bit of restraint.

Honestly... it's all overkill. Less is more.      

Yes, seven logos is overkill. Even more than one for a soccer club is usually overkill. All the Revs secondary logos look like something a supporters group could have come up with.

I saw, I came, I left.

I’d like to see a brand that leans into New England without leaning on the colonial/militaristic stuff. That one red Revs kit with green and white trim was nice. give me pine trees, old boats, lighthouses. Maybe adopt the lobster that the Celtics kicked out from Portland Maine.

9 hours ago, Digby said:

I’d like to see a brand that leans into New England without leaning on the colonial/militaristic stuff.

That went out the window the minute the Krafts elected to dub their MLS club the Revolution and establish branding synergy with their other professional sports holding, a pro football franchise named the Patriots. Though the logo the Revolution has sported for the club's first 26 seasons of existence has been a modern and stylized depiction of an American flag with no overt colonial or militaristic overtones to be found therein, its pretty obvious what the Krafts were trying to achieve branding-wise.    

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

That went out the window the minute the Krafts elected to dub their MLS club the Revolution and establish branding synergy with their other professional sports holding, a pro football franchise named the Patriots. Though the logo the Revolution has sported for the club's first 26 seasons of existence has been a modern and stylized depiction of an American flag with no overt colonial or militaristic overtones to be found therein, its pretty obvious what the Krafts were trying to achieve branding-wise.    

I'm well aware. But the Revs/Patriots association has been a blessing and a curse at best, there's a lot of historically untapped potential with other New England-y imagery, and a lot of the Revs renaissance/keeping the ship afloat through the dark years was with the supporters groups who made the use of the New England flag -- which does also date to the colonial era but also gives the soccer club a more creative, distinct and localized brand.

They sort of get at that a bit more with that sheet of alternate logos here, but not so much with the main one.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:56 AM, -kj said:

You post a lot of nonsense, but this has to be at the top.  Where do you see palm trees in any of this?

You don't see it?

If i show it to you, it can't be unseen.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:24 PM, Popmart said:

Good writeup on Boston.com with a few interviews.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-revolution/2021/11/04/new-england-revolution-new-logo-rebrand/?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Atwitter

My favourite quote comes from VP Cathal Conlon.

I'm glad they finally caught wind of what people on these boards have been saying for yeeeeeears.

Looking at the below graphic from this article, I just wish they would've had the restraint in the design process to stop right before overloading the logo with buntings and the strikethrough.

spacer.png

Archived