MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

On 11/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, Digby said:

I’d like to see a brand that leans into New England without leaning on the colonial/militaristic stuff. That one red Revs kit with green and white trim was nice. give me pine trees, old boats, lighthouses. Maybe adopt the lobster that the Celtics kicked out from Portland Maine.

That’s all New England has besides racism and people from Boston treating “outsiders” like garbage.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, Digby said:

I’d like to see a brand that leans into New England without leaning on the colonial/militaristic stuff. That one red Revs kit with green and white trim was nice. give me pine trees, old boats, lighthouses. Maybe adopt the lobster that the Celtics kicked out from Portland Maine.

Except the red/white one with the green trim was based on the Continental Flag of New England:

spacer.pngspacer.png

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/revolutionary-flags-fell-stars-stripes/
http://www.vexman.net/flags/NEFlag.html

patriotssignature.png

Yeah, as I said I liked that one -- even if the flag dates to that era, I guess my point is that it gets away from the guns, cannons, tricorner hats thing. It's more unique and more localized, not something that feels "generic America team" that the Patriots or teams in Philly/DC/New York could also utilize if they wanted. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Surprised I haven’t seen this posted yet. Looks like Charlotte’s inaugural kit has leaked. I like it a lot. Glad to see them going with an actual identity instead of a single color. MLS needs more stripes, sashes, contrasting sleeves, halved designs, checkers, etc. I think this design would look best with white shorts and colored socks.

I like it! I think it's a little basic, but I'm glad it's not just a solid-colored black kit. I'll echo what was said about white shorts and colored socks, so long as those socks are blue. Good first start CLTFC!

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Surprised I haven’t seen this posted yet. Looks like Charlotte’s inaugural kit has leaked. I like it a lot. Glad to see them going with an actual identity instead of a single color. MLS needs more stripes, sashes, contrasting sleeves, halved designs, checkers, etc. I think this design would look best with white shorts and colored socks.

As far as an inaugural kit goes, this isn't bad! Classy and simple, highlighting the good parts of the color scheme. At least it is not black, which is way overused in MLS. 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

13 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The league needs to move away from monochrome period. Hopefully this is the start of that.  This is the shirt San Jose should have gotten this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Is Ally a subsidiary of Bank of America or are we going to have competitors on the shirt front vs stadium name? 

No, they're different. Ally's become a big-time partner of CLTFC and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually take over bank sponsorship duties for the Panthers.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 11/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, Digby said:

Is Ally a subsidiary of Bank of America or are we going to have competitors on the shirt front vs stadium name? 

Ally Financial is the old GMAC bank that GM owned prior to their bankruptcy. The bank was one of the divestures. I dont  believe they are related to BoA at all. 

I'm late on this but just read the Athletic on the Revs rebrand. A couple interesting tidbits:

Over the course of the study, another basic tenant emerged: many of the same participants who felt the logo needed to be redone were also insistent that the name of the club remain the same. It came as a surprise to some at the club, many of whom were ready to move on from the original identity — name, logo, colors — as a whole.

Thought this was a wild detail. Who knows how serious they are but it's interesting now that the Revolution, having been a pretty obvious sibling team to the Patriots from day one, would've been willing to jettison that if not for fans telling them not to.

Also this:

The club itself preferred the logo as a standalone crest, but the league requires clubs to incorporate their names into their crests, so the Revs threw their name and founding year around the logo in a roundel. 

I'm curious how much we'll actually see that full roundel version of the crest -- maybe only the most official of applciations. Seems likely we'll get the R logo only on the jerseys, which I think everyone agrees would look better. Wonder how the Timbers got away with dropping the name itself.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Also this:

I'm curious how much we'll actually see that full roundel version of the crest -- maybe only the most official of applciations. Seems likely we'll get the R logo only on the jerseys, which I think everyone agrees would look better. Wonder how the Timbers got away with dropping the name itself.

That's fascinating. I've been railing for years about how so many MLS brands could be improved by removing the unnecessary type from them. This Revs rebrand is a great example of it.  And yes, great question on the Timbers: if this is actually the rule, why were the Timbers exempt from it? 

On 11/22/2021 at 12:49 PM, gosioux76 said:

That's fascinating. I've been railing for years about how so many MLS brands could be improved by removing the unnecessary type from them. This Revs rebrand is a great example of it.  And yes, great question on the Timbers: if this is actually the rule, why were the Timbers exempt from it? 

I guess I could see a situation where, once the Timbers dropped their name, the league office said "ugh don't like that" and then implemented the rule later. But come to think of it, the new new Chicago Fire logo doesn't have the name...far as I know they've only presented the C logo by itself, with a wordmark separately. So this might be another case of nobody in MLS being a fully reliable narrator.

On 2021-11-22 at 5:49 PM, gosioux76 said:

DC United could be another team that could have no type on their crest and it could work, perhaps if they change the background of the 3 stars and two stripes on their crest to white, though that might run into legal trouble. Is that why no MLS team actually incorporates an unrecoloured flag into their emblem?

7 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

DC United could be another team that could have no type on their crest and it could work, perhaps if they change the background of the 3 stars and two stripes on their crest to white, though that might run into legal trouble. Is that why no MLS team actually incorporates an unrecoloured flag into their emblem?

It's not a legal thing, at least I don't think it is. If you're going to use a flag as an element I don't think you should recolor it to fit your color scheme. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived