MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

It’s a bit disappointing that every stripes/hoops team in MLS eventually sees those elements severely diminished, and every X-and-black color scheme eventually moves to mostly-black. (Enjoy your green while you can, Austin!)

The first two ATL home kits were very distinctive in the league, something like this could just as easily belong to NYRB or DC United.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it gets tough for kit designers to come up with fresh interpretations for teams like Atlanta, much like we've seen before with Barcelona or AC Milan and Inter Milan. Which is why I wish they'd just ... stop ... trying. 

Blah blah blah, but jersey sales! blah blah blah. Looks cease to be iconic when you keep screwing it up in the name of innovation. /soapbox

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Footy Headlines just posted this mockup of what they say is Atlanta’s new primary:

spacer.png
Not a fan of this at all if it truly is representative of the real thing. 

it's so crappy it's unbelievable

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

1 hour ago, les3couleurs said:

Coming from the former Impact radio announcer and his fellow podcasters.

spacer.png

Black and grey (silver) with blue accent will be the colors of the Club de Foot de Montréal. Snowflakes on the logo as well as the jerseys.

I mean, from that exceedingly tiny snippet, I think that's cause for optimism. 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Digby said:

It’s a bit disappointing that every stripes/hoops team in MLS eventually sees those elements severely diminished, and every X-and-black color scheme eventually moves to mostly-black. (Enjoy your green while you can, Austin!)

The first two ATL home kits were very distinctive in the league, something like this could just as easily belong to NYRB or DC United.

San Jose in 2015: Blue and black

San Jose in 2021: Black and blue

Columbus in 2015: Yellow and black

Columbus in 2021: Black and yellow

Houston in 2015: Orange and white

Houston in 2021: Black and orange

Atlanta in 2017: Red and black

Atlanta in 2021: Black and red

Montreal in 2015: Blue and white

Montreal in 2020 (since 2021 is TBD still): Black and blue

That's 5 teams that made the move to black since 2015, two of them adding it entirely (instead of just switching the balance around). That's not even taking into account the teams that have black away kits despite not having black in their color scheme (Seattle, Kansas City, NYRB). Then finally there's DC, who have been wearing black since the beginning, LAFC, and Miami, who can't seem to decide whether they're a pink team or black team. All in all that's a lot of black in the league. It's why I'm so disappointed Austin went with stripes instead of using their beautiful shade of green for the whole shirt.

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, les3couleurs said:

spacer.png

Black and grey (silver) with blue accent will be the colors of the Club de Foot de Montréal. Snowflakes on the logo as well as the jerseys.

Looks to become the league's eighth roundel (ninth if you count that weird oval Chicago uses). I'm now more curious about that image of a t-shirt with a fleur de lis crest from earlier in the thread. It would seem odd -- or at least, out of the norm -- for them to use the fleur de lis as anything other than a secondary while a snowflake is the primary visual in the club crest. 

7 hours ago, les3couleurs said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I whipped this up pretty fast while watching a toddler, so don't mind the awkward spacing of the text, but I think it might look something like this? It's...ok, clearly inspired by the new Als branding and going for that Burton Kramer aesthetic.

4 hours ago, alexandre said:

spacer.png

This doesn't say "Professional Soccer Club". Rather, it screams "Patch on a knit cap that you bought in the gift shop of the lodge at the ski resort one weekend... only to never wear it again except for shoveling the driveway... after which you tossed it to the back corner of the top shelf in the mudroom... where it sat, forgotten, for a minimum of three years... before ultimately being stuffed into a bag bound for Goodwill."  

1 minute ago, Brian in Boston said:

This doesn't say "Professional Soccer Club". Rather, it screams "Patch on a knit cap that you bought in the gift shop of the lodge at the ski resort one weekend... only to never wear it again except for shoveling the driveway... after which you tossed it to the back corner of the top shelf in the mudroom... where it sat, forgotten, for a minimum of three years... before ultimately being stuffed into a bag bound for Goodwill."  

Definitely. You can tell the success of the Alouettes rebrand was weighing on them and they wanted something that would fit in that golden era of logo design. The Expo 67, Métro and old CBC logo were clear influences here.

29 minutes ago, alexandre said:

Definitely. You can tell the success of the Alouettes rebrand was weighing on them and they wanted something that would fit in that golden era of logo design. The Expo 67, Métro and old CBC logo were clear influences here.

Totally! It has a bit of all of them. CBC is/was a masterpiece. I bought a tee of it. Métro has aged really well. Never been a big fan of the Expo 67 one. Might be the age of it, I just never got it.

Based on the mockup, I must say the CBC/Métro vibe works a lot for me. I'm on board

I like that they chose the name with a Québécois/French Canadian phrasing. It's different, it's ours. I think they floated that it would be Montreal FC to say if the French public would accept it. While it wasn't totally panned, there were complaints. Mine was just that it's like everyone else. This is just different enough without it really being any different.

Archived