MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually a great looking crest, but they could have just rolled out a rebrand like this with Montreal Impact remaining as the name. It would actually make a lot of sense from the perspective of Montreal's harsh winters.

spacer.png

They play soccer in the spring, summer and fall. I don't understand the snowflake.

It looks okay if there were another Olympics being hosted in Montreal (though I think Salt Lake City did that?). But as a single-sport logo, seems kinda dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Survival79 said:

RQWKCWz.png

There's way too many roundels in the MLS right now, but I kinda like the retro 70's-esque feel this crest is going for. Upgrade for sure, at least crest-wise. I think CF Montreal is a fine name, nothing special or exciting though. 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

47 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They play soccer in the spring, summer and fall. I don't understand the snowflake.

Montréal management has clearly been tipped off to the fact that MLS is moving to a Fall-Winter-Spring schedule.

🤣

No... it's just a franchise logo as woefully out of place adorning a Spring-Summer-Fall pro soccer club in MLS as the Toronto Blizzard name was adorning a Spring-Summer-Fall pro soccer club in the NASL. "Canada's the 'Great White North', eh?" 🙄 

I can understand trying to carve out a unique identity for the team amongst other MLS clubs by leaning into the late-1960s through mid-1970s design aesthetic, but the snowflake as the central component strikes me as asinine.        

44 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I don't hate it, what if they got rid of the blue roundel? Just text and the "M" snowflake logo?

I really like this logo, but not for their soccer team. I've never heard any snow-related reference to the soccer team at all, so the snowflake feels very out of place. And unless you're speaking French, "Club Foot" is a medical condition, right? At least make it Club de Football.

Still better than the Revolution though.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

27 minutes ago, slapshot said:

I really like this logo, but not for their soccer team. I've never heard any snow-related reference to the soccer team at all, so the snowflake feels very out of place. And unless you're speaking French, "Club Foot" is a medical condition, right? At least make it Club de Football.

Still better than the Revolution though.

It’s suddenly become very clear to me why teams in French-speaking countries generally use the “FC” construction even if it doesn’t strictly make linguistic sense for them. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, henburg said:

It's actually a great looking crest, but they could have just rolled out a rebrand like this with Montreal Impact remaining as the name. It would actually make a lot of sense from the perspective of Montreal's harsh winters.

Good luck being taken seriously outside the US with a name like Impact, man. That's what this is really about.

Impact doesn't correspond to some historical thing relevant to the city, or a geographic feature, or something of note about the region. It's why I don't dislike the name "Revolution," I just think the branding can be improved there. It's why Sounders, Timbers, Earthquakes, Fire, Union, Rapids, Dynamo, and Whitecaps all are great names. Because it reflects some aspect of the region or the place the club is.

I get that Impact is the same in both languages, but it was a decision made in 1992 when soccer in the US and Canada in its current iteration was young. :censored: there wasn't even a stable pro-level league in 1992. Expos makes sense, Canadiens (and Habs) makes sense, Alouettes makes sense. 

People arguing about the name change like MTL is Manchester United and their name is 120 years old. Guys it was 1992, I was alive in 1992. 

spacer.png

Its not bad. There is a little something off about it though. It doesn't look like a soccer logo for some reason. It looks like an Olympic logo, or a NHL shoulder logo or something. Ihate that it is ANOTHER roundel. But at least it is not another "xxxx FC".

FWIW, I didn't notice the "M" at first.

3 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Club de foot? I'm a French Quebecer and this sounds like :censored: even in French. It only makes sense for a handful of euro wannabe hipsters that want to think they're too cool to watch "soccer". A majority of people who gives a crap about this club in Quebec calls it "l'Impact", what will they use now? "Hey have you watched the club de foot game last night?".

I assume they will go by C.F. Montreal. Maybe CF for short? Maybe Impact will still be an unofficial nickname?

Those are just my guesses. What do you think as a native?

7 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

I assume they will go by C.F. Montreal. Maybe CF for short? Maybe Impact will still be an unofficial nickname?

Those are just my guesses. What do you think as a native?

Even then. In Europe when the team is the only major sport in town it works. Say Liverpool, Barcelona, Dortmund and people usually know what you're talking about. I don't think they can even dream about this. "Got tickets for Montreal game, wanna come?" "Montreal what?" should be the answer or people will be thinking about the Habs or something. Using CF also doesn't work, no one calls their club CF or FC only, it's too generic. CF Montreal as a whole also sounds weird. Any form using "foot" like club de foot is off the table, we don't even refer to soccer as foot, we're not France French, 99% of people will probably think about the Alouettes. Impact might stick since the other options don't make sense...

According to Footy Headlines, LAFC will have a “linen” kit as their away. It’ll be similar to the Man United kit from a few years ago in terms of color 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/01/leaked-lafc-2021-away-kit-to-be-linen.html?m=1

which means it is possible the LAFC is getting that pink/salmon 3rd or that color is being reserved for warmup gear and other items.

Archived