MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/01/colorado-rapids-2021-away-kit.html

So Colorado's new away kit (I really dig their home strip btw) is allegedly going to be a throwback to the OG Rapids colors. Sort of like the Liverpool shade of teal plus more bright proper "green", at least that's what the shades look like to me.

Sounds interesting, potentially dope, potentially horrifically garish. Guess we shall see.

That said, and to be fair, I actually really liked Colorado's last away kit, the one that's getting replaced. As far as light colored kits go in this league, and apart from Cincy's current away strip, it was definitely one of the best of its ilk in the league. Cincy's, Colorado's, and Dallas's current away, light kits I think are the best of those kind in the league, just to shout out that.

Though it's cool that Adidas and the league are seemingly beginning to move beyond the light/dark kits dynamic in favor of more interesting stuff. Which can only be a good thing, I just hope that they don't drop the light strip idea entirely because some of the ones that have come out have actually been pretty cool imo.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2021 at 9:08 PM, WarriorFight said:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/01/colorado-rapids-2021-away-kit.html

So Colorado's new away kit (I really dig their home strip btw) is allegedly going to be a throwback to the OG Rapids colors. Sort of like the Liverpool shade of teal plus more bright proper "green", at least that's what the shades look like to me.

Sounds interesting, potentially dope, potentially horrifically garish. Guess we shall see.

That said, and to be fair, I actually really liked Colorado's last away kit, the one that's getting replaced. As far as light colored kits go in this league, and apart from Cincy's current away strip, it was definitely one of the best of its ilk in the league. Cincy's, Colorado's, and Dallas's current away, light kits I think are the best of those kind in the league, just to shout out that.

Though it's cool that Adidas and the league are seemingly beginning to move beyond the light/dark kits dynamic in favor of more interesting stuff. Which can only be a good thing, I just hope that they don't drop the light strip idea entirely because some of the ones that have come out have actually been pretty cool imo.

It should at least be a change from the boring white kits we have been seeing. Although, I don't think anything will ever beat the few years they went with a yellow clash kit. 

Montreal Impact vs Colorado Rapids | Roster Notes | July 7, 2018 | Colorado  Rapids

Honestly, I wish they would return to the burgundy w/ white sleeves as the primary and a yellow clash full time. It may be too similar to Arsenal (who is owned by the same family/group), but it gave them a distinct identity. I was always fond of this particular kit:

Colorado Rapids 2016 Season Review - Last Word on Sports

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

26 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

It should at least be a change from the boring white kits we have been seeing. Although, I don't think anything will ever beat the few years they went with a yellow clash kit. 

Montreal Impact vs Colorado Rapids | Roster Notes | July 7, 2018 | Colorado  Rapids

Honestly, I wish they would return to the burgundy w/ white sleeves as the primary and a yellow clash full time. It may be too similar to Arsenal (who is owned by the same family/group), but it gave them a distinct identity. I was always fond of this particular kit:

This exact point but to me having the same owner makes it ok to being similar to arsenal and I think burgundy is different enough to be their own. 

35 minutes ago, TacoCat83 said:

Honestly this is some of the best looking training gear. Love the use of multi-colors with that mesh fabric.

I'm happy they don't have the generic "Official adidas product" running down the sleeves like 2 years ago instead of their actual team names. I'm also pretty pissed that Columbus may be all black for one kit and all white for the other. That's tremendously disappointing. If they were doing a throwback design with gold in it, I could go along with that. 

STC - The Kit

A white version of this with vertical yellow stripes and a black outline on the stripes would be a nice look. 

Columbus Crew uniforms through the years - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus,  OH

I'd actually prefer something more in line with this kit, just move the badge and logos to where they normally sit now. I also think this is the green Colorado should be trying to go with instead of that mint color I saw earlier. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Oh I think the exact opposite with the home kit with white sleeves. I really dislike that look, and I'd vastly prefer they go more fully into the claret and blue style with blue sleeves. just IMO it is a vastly better look with the claret/burgundy color than white.

Completely agree with the away kit, though I do actually like their white away kit. The flag-colors kits were always fire.

spacer.png

On 1/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I also think this is the green Colorado should be trying to go with instead of that mint color I saw earlier. 

I don't think the Rapids can go with the classic green. It's pretty dark and wouldn't allow either kit to provide sufficient contrast against some of the other dark shirts in the league. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  Much better color combination.

I may be biased but an all burgundy shirt with sky blue shorts and hooped socks is the best look in MLS. There is no need for them to wear anything else, if they want to occasionally make the sleeves sky blue or white I can live with that but it should be only once every few cycles. The yellow kit was also so nice, I'm glad to see the rapids returning to a non-white change kit. We have a better change kit tradition than most MLS clubs (sky blue in early 10's, CO royal blue, Yellow, and now mint green.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

It’s pretty remarkable that the CO flag away kits were such a natural fit for the Rapids AND ALSO yet another parallel with Arsenal that they have. Kinda (pleasantly) surprised that name never got changed. A throwback to the green is nice, too, but I wish that would’ve been done for the MLS 25 year.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

38 minutes ago, Digby said:

It’s pretty remarkable that the CO flag away kits were such a natural fit for the Rapids AND ALSO yet another parallel with Arsenal that they have. Kinda (pleasantly) surprised that name never got changed. A throwback to the green is nice, too, but I wish that would’ve been done for the MLS 25 year.

Do they still have that Arsenal connection? I remember being intrigued by that when I first heard about it 10 years ago, but it seems tangential at best. 

Archived