MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

That neckline thing confirms Austin are now leading the MLS twee table. Of course.

No problems with the jersey except that I really hoped this template was over with. Hopefully this will be Austin’s one-and-done.

50 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

What do you like about Austin?

Oh, I guess everything.

Cool! Let's use it!

mLDQtgJ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Hahahahahahaha!!!! Where's "Alright, alright, alright"?!?!?!?!? I guess it's better than say "I'm Ready" in spanish, oh wait, that's on the home shirt. I don't even like this team and I'd think I could come up with better than a plain white shirt from last year's recycle bin. 

55 minutes ago, henburg said:

That Austin shirt is pretty par for the course for last year's away jerseys, but it still looks nice. That vibrant green is an awesome color.

It's "savory queso". 

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Welp, this is disappointing:

spacer.png 

It’s a shame that it’s white, but HOPEFULLY they use green shorts and socks to break up the whole white looks across the league.

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

That neckline thing confirms Austin are now leading the MLS twee table. Of course.

No problems with the jersey except that I really hoped this template was over with. Hopefully this will be Austin’s one-and-done.

Thankfully it is. From their press release, “The 2021 secondary jersey will cycle-out of Austin FC’s jersey set at the conclusion of the 2021 season, and a newly-designed secondary jersey will be introduced for the 2022 and 2023 seasons.”

As for the template, this is what they had to say: “The 2021 secondary jersey will serve as a complement to the record-setting 2021-2022 primary jersey, while being consistent with MLS Clubs who feature a similar adidas EQT design across both the 2020 and 2021 seasons.” 

Chicago is also getting two new kits this year, and I’d bet one of them is on this template as well to be consistent with the rest of the league. 

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

By a mile at that. Taco! Food truck! Trumpet AND a guitar! And a vinyl record! It's so embarrassing. 

It's harmless enough given that it's hidden away in the neckline, but still -- actual thought by actual designers/team executives was put into representing Portlandia-level cliches about Austin into the uniform design. By hourly rate, there's at least tens of thousands of dollars in those little icons, not to mention production costs.

Details can make design, but they can also break it. I didn't mind the green/black Austin primary shirt, but the white away one is really bad.

My primary complaint with Austin FC's change kit is the same as my gripe with the club's overall identity. Namely, that I believe their badge would look better if the FC were rendered in White. I find it jarring that 75% of the club's name is White on the badge, while the 25% represented by the FC is Green... pardon, Verde.     

94jdoeAm.png?1

46 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

It’s a shame that it’s white, but HOPEFULLY they use green shorts and socks to break up the whole white looks across the league.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one if I were you. I’d be willing to bet the full kit has white shorts and socks like so:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Welp, this is disappointing:

spacer.png 

Bruh--who be coming up with these descriptions, yo??? That is some stuff straight outta www.dointoomuch.com right there...

I think the icon thing is nice. Not genius, kind of dorky, but nice enough. They’re doing an interesting job of trying to connect with their city, even if it looks like a Shake Shack — which does set up some nice essays about civic identity and capitalism in the modern age, sure. But what model are they supposed to follow? I’ll take this over the plain white shirts that Cincy and Chicago have given us lately, and it also beats Montreal deluding themselves into thinking a name change means global relevance, and it also beats following the model of the other two Texas teams that have 40 years combined of severely underwhelming. Bring on FC Taco Truck.

10 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Bruh--who be coming up with these descriptions, yo??? That is some stuff straight outta www.dointoomuch.com right there...

The fact a team with no games played are calling this the "Legends jersey" while using the blandest design possible is maximum Precourt speak. 

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think the icon thing is nice. Not genius, but nice enough. They’re doing an interesting job of trying to connect with their city, even if it looks like a Shake Shack — which does set up some nice essays about civic identity and capitalism in the modern age, sure. But what model are they supposed to follow? I’ll take this over the plain white shirts that Cincy and Chicago have given us lately, and it also beats Montreal deluding themselves into thinking a name change means global relevance, and it also beats following the model of the other two Texas teams that have 40 years combined of severely underwhelming. Bring on FC Taco Truck.

But why does it need any of that stuff? Isn't being a soccer team enough?

Seattle's collar (at least one of them) says FIGHT AND WIN, which is a chant you hear every game.

Can't Austin FC give it a season to develop some history before making its uniform a clip art Christmas tree?

6 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Can't Austin FC give it a season to develop some history before making its uniform a clip art Christmas tree?

sure and I bet they’ll do the usual chant stuff on the next one or the one after that. In the meantime they need an away kit for year one, they gave us one that’s not off the teamwear rack like other recent new brands, I’ll take it.

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't know, man. I might be wrong, but those icons just smack of someone not from Austin choosing icons to represent everything he's heard about Austin. They're stereotypes for Hipster America. 

Historic Sixth Street Mural - Austin, TX - Gino Barasa Photo | 6th Street  Austin, Texas

Utilizing something from this would make more sense. 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The fact a team with no games played are calling this the "Legends jersey" while using the blandest design possible is maximum Precourt speak. 

Ugh, can I get a trigger warning before you go throwing the P-word around?  He is not welcome in my headspace.

Just now, DPHF said:

Ugh, can I get a trigger warning before you go throwing the P-word around?  He is not welcome in my headspace.

Sorry I should have put trust fund investor-operator down instead. LOL!!!! It's better than what most of us call him. 

• Est1980 changed the title to Inter Miami Finally Sponsored
  • officeglenn changed the title to MLS Kits 2021