MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

2 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

MLS is quite likely a MLM itself... I don’t think they will ever ditch Herbalife over ethical concerns

Shh! Don't say it out loud! If Garber hears you, our clubs won't get that expansion fee money from teams #31 and #32!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say it! I hate halved kits! Making one sleeve the darker green would look better on the front but much worse from the back. It's nice as a commemoration, but I really wish Portland's first MLS kit design was much simpler and minimalist, because what a product of its time that is. (Basically I wish they started with the retro/gold look I guess.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

It might just be a trick of the eye, but I can also see that dark green as a dark blue or a black.

I know it could just be lighting like @upperV03 is saying, but I wonder if the strange, darker shade back was meant to make an all-green Sounders-Timbers game work better than in the past:

H4P6AKSJWZEQ5I7CKQ4JHDWHEI.jpg

Perhaps more important now that the Sounders are rumored to have a navy blue away jersey (which might clash with forest green, unlike our previous black.)

31 minutes ago, Digby said:

Well, the solution there is that MLS needs to get Seattle to get their kit act together. 

I liked it when it was home/away/clash.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, vtgco said:

I know it could just be lighting like @upperV03 is saying, but I wonder if the strange, darker shade back was meant to make an all-green Sounders-Timbers game work better than in the past:

H4P6AKSJWZEQ5I7CKQ4JHDWHEI.jpg

Perhaps more important now that the Sounders are rumored to have a navy blue away jersey (which might clash with forest green, unlike our previous black.)

Or , . . . you know . . . have a third kit available?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, Digby said:

Last year's show of same template, teamwear-level patterns, and even the same obnoxious collar was a pretty bad show for Adidas I thought. Even the worst excesses of Nike's weird NBA cut and the Reebok Edge allowed for more customization. I'd say all the stakeholders have had their successes and their failures in recent years. (Still curious what prompted teams like New England, Colorado and Portland to all ditch their seemingly successful runs of off-brand away kits around the same time last cycle.)

The Revs, Rapids and Timbers (among others?) ditching their unique change kits for bland white/black makes me think this was pushed by Adidas or MLS and clubs had little choice. The fact that Colorado is getting a green secondary and the Timbers seem to be getting something unique next year only furthers my belief that these unique kit wearing clubs were pushed to simplify.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

So I think Cincy with pin stripes *could* look tight, we shall see whether or not that works out.

I don't hate Portland's, the homage is nice and it's honestly not too bad. It's not as good as their last two home kits, but it's not bad.

Minny with blue away again *could* be awesome. Time will tell but on broad principle already a smart choice.

spacer.png

Here are some good still images of the new kit, which has both green and white shorts options:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After seeing the full thing, I have to say that I like it, but think it’s a downgrade from both of their previous primaries. I think it’ll still be near the top of the league, but doesn’t quite reach the heights of their last two primary kits. The only thing I really don’t like is that the back is the darker green color. It should either be the lighter green or they should’ve made the shorts and socks the darker green shade. All in all, though, it’s another solid and classy effort. If nothing else, the fact that this kit is already so controversial (at least among the Timbers’ fanbase) just shows how lofty the expectations for their kits have become.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Here are some good still images of the new kit, which has both green and white shorts options:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After seeing the full thing, I have to say that I like it, but think it’s a downgrade from both of their previous primaries. I think it’ll still be near the top of the league, but doesn’t quite reach the heights of their last two primary kits. The only thing I really don’t like is that the back is the darker green color. It should either be the lighter green or they should’ve made the shorts and socks the darker green shade. All in all, though, it’s another solid and classy effort.

Honestly that dark green reads more like a deep blue-green than a true green. It makes for a pretty jarring contrast.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think it looks great, except for the white shorts. Kind of looks like a guy standing in his boxer shorts.

I’m glad to see a white shorts option available again, but I don’t think they work as well as they did with the hooped shirt. I don’t think they look bad at all, though

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That Timbers kit is two tweaks from being fantastic, but instead just looks … tacky and bad.

The back being a solid shade of the lighter green would be fine; the darker green either needs to be a shade or two lighter or a shade or two darker — it neither looks like a tonal design to me, nor does it have enough contrast to read as a true halved kit, IMO. It’s an awkward shade.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived