MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Looking through that link, this is part of a relatively large new Mitchell & Ness MLS collection called "Since 96." It's odd that they would include Seattle and Portland considering neither of those teams were around in 1996. In fact, 1996 was part of the roughly 10-year dead zone in which Portland was without pro soccer. 

I'm assuming this is just testament to the fact that the Timbers and Sounders are probably among the higher-selling MLS brands. 

UPDATE: It looks like a lot of the Timbers/Sounders/Whitecaps apparel on Mitchell & Ness' site is instead labeled as "25th Anniversary" rather than "Since 96." 

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Looks like we also have our first view of the full NYCFC kit. 

[image]

Don’t love the white-bottom sock sleeves, but white shorts and blue socks really make this kit. 

[image]

That’s much better than I thought it would look. 

Really hoping they go with this as primary and not the mono sky blue. Hate that look.

28 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Looking through that link, this is part of a relatively large new Mitchell & Ness MLS collection called "Since 96." It's odd that they would include Seattle and Portland considering neither of those teams were around in 1996. In fact, 1996 was part of the roughly 10-year dead zone in which Portland was without pro soccer. 

I'm assuming this is just testament to the fact that the Timbers and Sounders are probably among the higher-selling MLS brands. 

I think somewhere they said the collection was called "Since '96" but the theme was '90s throwbacks generally. The USL Sounders restarted in 1994, the WSL Timbers folded in 1991, so I think that counts...

28 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I miss it too... interesting in their press release, they have the Vancouver 86ers. ... and the logo they used was not the one that I was familiar with (which is the one below):

86ers_logo.png

That logo was used from 1986 to 1992, when they wore yellow and blue. They used the logo in the collection from 1993 to 2000.

Anyways, I feel like Portland, Dallas, and LA are the big winners here. Dallas and LA get near perfect recreations of their '96 looks, and Portland gets an option with USL-era stripes AND the beautiful NASL-era script (though this jersey never existed, and I can't find any photos of them wearing the script after 1981?)

ff_3896026-242145352faf0d1c73ee_full.jpg&w=340ff_3896028-c5a84211f0ea320a579b_full.jpg&w=340ff_3896039-5680a5bd171b1c63c97f_full.jpg&w=340

On the other hand, I'm not too happy with how they handled DC or Seattle.

DC deserves a perfect '96 recreation, without red sleeves or the "WASHINGTON DC UNITED" logo. Also I really don't like the inaccurate contrasting white front and purple back for Seattle, and I wish they could've used a more accurate indigo / royal blue instead of pure, UW purple. Makes me wonder if they're just trying to tie it in to the new purple away jersey.

ff_3896025-00b03980f9926ddd4d77_full.jpg&w=340ff_3896032-da09bff0863238889a8f_full.jpg&w=340

And of course, the biggest letdown is the lack of MetroStars gear. Sorry, New York.

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

On the other hand, I'm not too happy with how they handled DC or Seattle.

DC deserves a perfect '96 recreation, without red sleeves or the "WASHINGTON DC UNITED" logo.

ff_3896025-00b03980f9926ddd4d77_full.jpg&w=340

Smart move by Mitchell & Ness to not reuse the original D.C. United logo since that logo has been compared to a Nazi Eagle.

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

EyPGdhnW8AYR76h?format=jpg&name=large

It's like a cleaner version of their inaugural kits. 

5 hours ago, sozopol said:

Really hoping they go with this as primary and not the mono sky blue. Hate that look.

This. I don't know why they stopped wearing the navy shorts. I really think the mono look put the previous set back which is a shame because I thought that was their best shirt to date.

XM4KeeA.png

Really bizarre how some of those throwback shirts are very accurate and some...are not. Not even consistent across which brand originally produced said designs, either. Also $100 for a "sublimated t-shirt" that you know isn't even a proper jersey, probably more like the worst, most unpleasant kind of polyester. But this is the kitsch that I think MLS may as well lean more into and I wish recent jerseys looked more like that. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/5/2021 at 10:54 PM, Gothamite said:

Don’t love the white-bottom sock sleeves, but white shorts and blue socks really make this kit. 

EyPGdhnW8AYR76h?format=jpg&name=large

That kit's ruined by Etihad being navy while the rest of the shirt is purely light blue and white. They should've matched the numbers and sponsor - preferably both white but both navy would also work.

ExJworW.png

I really do like the new NYCFC kit, and am thrilled that it has white shorts, but I still can’t help but feel like navy accents work better for them. For me, the 2017/18 primary kit was pretty much perfect, especially when paired with the white shorts:

spacer.png

I loved the navy accents and the hint of orange, and even though the white shorts were my preference, the kit still looked great with the navy shorts as well:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

Speaking of NYCFC, it looks like the man u kit will basically the red version, sublimated stripes and all

Speaking of Man U, and the EPL, looking at Arsenal's new home kit, why wasn't that the design used for San Jose? Does Arsenal have the "no one wears this but us first" rule? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I really do like the new NYCFC kit, and am thrilled that it has white shorts, but I still can’t help but feel like navy accents work better for them. For me, the 2017/18 primary kit was pretty much perfect, especially when paired with the white shorts:

spacer.png

I loved the navy accents and the hint of orange, and even though the white shorts were my preference, the kit still looked great with the navy shorts as well:

spacer.png

yeah, this. 

two shades of blue is better than a blue and white shirt.  And everything is better than mono-blue. 

Philadelphia is wearing this kit today against Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rican side) in the CONCACAF Champions League:

When they revealed the kit, they showed it with the Artesano sub-brand of Bimbo.

spacer.png

Perhaps the Bimbo brand is better known in Central America? Or maybe there is a regulation that prohibits changing sponsors in the tournament? I’m speculating but I would still expect to see Artesano in MLS play.

Archived