MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

MLS 2021: What’s New in Kits and Logos

April 8, 2021 - 02:37 AM

With the 2021 MLS season set to kick off on Friday, April 16, let’s take a look at the new kits that fans will see on the pitch this year … ATLANTA UNITED To celebrate their fifth season in MLS, Atlanta United has unveiled a new primary jersey, which they

Read More...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Philly in bright baby blue vs Saprissa in maroon is a really nice-looking matchup.

Saprissa vs. Philadelphia Union - Football Match Report - April 8, 2021 -  ESPN

Wearing BIMBO as well. I wonder if they are doing a full switch or if it's just for CCL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Haven't heard about this for San Jose before!

The club’s secondary kit was actually their primary kit last year, predominantly black with a blue block and stripe on the chest. The 2020 secondary kit, which was mostly white, with yellow and blue stripes, has been retired.

I wonder if this is true. Will they wear royal against navy teams then?

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Wearing BIMBO as well. I wonder if they are doing a full switch or if it's just for CCL. 

With a company like BIMBO, which has so many brands, many of them regional, I wonder whether they have the flexibility to switch out the sponsor logo based on regional specifications. The BIMBO brand probably resonates more in Mexico and Latin America than Artisano. 

I thought the white shorts might detract from the kit — no white in the shirt, the other usual light blue teams have white shorts — but no! It’s great. Really good color balance and that shade of blue is really lovely (or maybe it’s the trim colors enhancing it).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Philadelphia Union's aways had BIMBO as the sponsor last night. Not sure if that's a Concacaf rule for sponsors or they made the change last minute across the board. 

They probably just opted to feature a brand actually present in Latin American countries while playing in the CCL.

I wouldn’t worry about the Bimbo switch becoming permanent, as all of the retail versions of the Philly secondary come with the Artesano logo and they exclusively wore the kit with the Artesano logo during preseason. I don’t see anything in the CCL rules that prohibit a team from having different home/away sponsors, so the switch likely was because of the Bimbo brand being more recognizable in Latin America.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Looks like the new LAFC secondary kit has white shorts:

The full kit will have a similar look to this Man United kit combo from last year:

spacer.png

I don’t necessarily think “linen” shorts would’ve looked good, but I think it’s a mistake going with white because it’ll end up looking like a mistake or like the shirt/socks are dingy and dirty compared to the bright white of the shorts. Black shorts would’ve been the only good option IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The full kit will have a similar look to this Man United kit combo from last year:

spacer.png

I don’t necessarily think “linen” shorts would’ve looked good, but I think it’s a mistake going with white because it’ll end up looking like a mistake or like the shirt/socks are dingy and dirty compared to the bright white of the shorts. Black shorts would’ve been the only good option IMO.

Yeah, this monochrome stuff needs to end. LAFC can go BWB and LBL and that would be the better look for the away kit. Instead they';; never wear either combo I just suggested. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

Going with white shorts here is completely nonsensical. Who is the idiot making these decisions?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 minute ago, GriffinM6 said:

Going with white shorts here is completely nonsensical. Who is the idiot making these decisions?

Ultimately it's the clubs, but adidas provides the options. Also, the EPL likes to push kit clashing on every piece of gear, which is why United wore that setup multiple times. They wore black when allowed though.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Interestingly, FIFA 21 has the new Philly secondary kit with yellow shorts:

spacer.png

I’ve speculated before that the white shorts that they’ve been wearing with the kit may have been a last minute switch since they’re MiTeam versions of the Condivo 20 shorts rather than the authentic versions, and this just furthers my belief that the white shorts were indeed a last minute switch. Will be interesting to see if the Union end up wearing a different shorts color at some point this year, or if the white shorts will end up being the only option.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

I, too, think black shorts would have been a good option, but I can understand why they went with the white shorts. This is meant as a clash/away when compared to their all-black primary and provides a good contrast. Also had they picked black, it would have been weird to see them with two different sets of black shorts. One with their normal gold and one with linen. 

I don’t hate it. Kinda like it. It could partially be because I absolutely detested their last away kit and couldn’t wait for LAFC to be rid of it. So that any new away/clash kit in comparison would be more favorable to me. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

12 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I, too, think black shorts would have been a good option, but I can understand why they went with the white shorts. This is meant as a clash/away when compared to their all-black primary and provides a good contrast. Also had they picked black, it would have been weird to see them with two different sets of black shorts. One with their normal gold and one with linen. 

I don’t hate it. Kinda like it. It could partially be because I absolutely detested their last away kit and couldn’t wait for LAFC to be rid of it. So that any new away/clash kit in comparison would be more favorable to me. 

What would’ve been wrong with that? Several teams have had two pairs of the same color shorts over the years, and a few will again this year. For example, the Timbers have had numerous occasions of having more than one pair of white shorts for their different kits (they actually had three different pairs of white shorts in 2012/13), and in 2018-2020 had two different pairs of the same shade of green shorts as well. The Timbers will again have two different pairs of white shorts this year, Dallas will have two different pairs of the same shade of blue shorts this year, Vancouver will technically have two different pairs of navy shorts, Toronto will have two different pairs of red shorts, etc.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

What would’ve been wrong with that? Several teams have had two pairs of the same color shorts over the years, and a few will again this year. For example, the Timbers have had numerous occasions of having more than one pair of white shorts for their different kits (they actually had three different pairs of white shorts in 2012/13), and in 2018-2020 had two different pairs of the same shade of green shorts as well. The Timbers will again have two different pairs of white shorts this year, Dallas will have two different pairs of the same shade of blue shorts this year, Vancouver will technically have two different pairs of navy shorts, Toronto will have two different pairs of red shorts, etc.

The US National team currently has three different types of blue shorts, counting the Gold Cup/Olympics uniforms and the home and away kits. I think most teams are fine with two different colored shorts for the home kit, but only one set of shorts for the away uniform in MLS. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The US National team currently has three different types of blue shorts, counting the Gold Cup/Olympics uniforms and the home and away kits. I think most teams are fine with two different colored shorts for the home kit, but only one set of shorts for the away uniform in MLS. 

I’d say there are quite a few teams in MLS that have had, or currently have, more than one set of shorts for their away/secondary kit. The Timbers had two shorts options for all of their Rose City red secondaries except for the inaugural version, and had two shorts option for their 2018/19 white secondary kit. Philadelphia, New England, and Dallas all had white and navy shorts options for their last secondary kits, while San Jose, Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal all have two shorts options for their current secondaries and at least Colorado has shown off two shorts options for their new secondary kit. More past examples that come to mind include Dallas’ old white and royal hooped kits and the star gaze gradient kit and Atlanta’s inaugural grey and red secondary kit. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived