MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

MLS has a certain amount of control of how often a club can wear each of its kits.  There is a minimum number of times change kits may be worn on the road, and a maximum number of times they may be worn at home. 

Clubs can petition for an exemption to those numbers, and the league does sometimes grant them. But it’s on a club-by-club basis. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS Cup Winner To Get Silver Champions Patch, Star On Jersey

December 12, 2020 - 01:48 AM

In celebration of Major League Soccer’s 25th season, the winner of Saturday’s MLS Cup match between Columbus Crew SC and the Seattle Sounders will get to wear a silver champions patch on their sleeve next year.  The defending league champion used to have the honor of wearing a specially-made “scudetto”

Read More...

Nooooooo. I don’t like the silver. Don’t care that the trophy is silver. A gold patch should signify the current champion.

This sounds like it’s trying to appease LAG. I still think the defending champ should get a gold star (Sounders would have two if they win), old championships are silver and LA can have a bigger gold star for 5.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 12/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Digby said:

Well, here's some news. A gutless and terrible call.

Question: Did management listen to their Supporters' Groups or fans when they made this decision?

If the fans say change it, then it's ok I guess. A generic name like CityFC is boring sure but, whatever. If the fans didn't want the change, then management in this scenario made a terrible call. If the fanbase is indifferent, then management is ballsy to say the least but until they unveil a new look & kit, well just have to find out how they pull it off...

As I said on the MLS 2020 thread, they abandoned their own star system from 2016 only to bring back the scudetto that now barely even tells you which team is the defending champ? MLS needs to make up their mind and stick to it for as long as five years at least.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, FroBroStudio said:

As I said on the MLS 2020 thread, they abandoned their own star system from 2016 only to bring back the scudetto that now barely even tells you which team is the defending champ? MLS needs to make up their mind and stick to it for as long as five years at least.

Ah, but what is MLS if not constant confusing tinkering?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 12/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, TenaciousG said:

Nooooooo. I don’t like the silver. Don’t care that the trophy is silver. A gold patch should signify the current champion.

This sounds like it’s trying to appease LAG. I still think the defending champ should get a gold star (Sounders would have two if they win), old championships are silver and LA can have a bigger gold star for 5.

I'm a Galaxy fan and I had the opposite reaction to this news, haha. With the Galaxy not looking like they'll be contenders again any time soon, my fear is that casual fans and people who are new to following MLS will see the Galaxy as having only won a single championship due to their lone gold star. (I can already envision LAFC fans making this mistake in the near future 😩.) Maybe I'm just being insecure but I've noticed a pattern of newer fans not seeming to respect the history of the MLS 1.0 and 2.0 periods. These new rules about MLS Cup stars would only serve to aesthetically downplay the accomplishments of those eras should DC or any of the other "old" clubs also reach five championships in the next few season, IMO.

7 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

I'm a Galaxy fan and I had the opposite reaction to this news, haha. With the Galaxy not looking like they'll be contenders again any time soon, my fear is that casual fans and people who are new to following MLS will see the Galaxy as having only won a single championship due to their lone gold star. (I can already envision LAFC fans making this mistake in the near future 😩.) Maybe I'm just being insecure but I've noticed a pattern of newer fans not seeming to respect the history of the MLS 1.0 and 2.0 periods. These new rules about MLS Cup stars would only serve to aesthetically downplay the accomplishments of those eras should DC or any of the other "old" clubs also reach five championships in the next few season, IMO.

Interesting. I don’t get why the Galaxy can’t just have 5 stars, it would look pretty good with the crest. More than 5 would get crowded and probably warrant a change.

I also think all stars should contain the year of the title. Maybe at 5 you get a big star with a year on each point instead.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

12 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

5 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Interesting. I don’t get why the Galaxy can’t just have 5 stars, it would look pretty good with the crest. More than 5 would get crowded and probably warrant a change.

I also think all stars should contain the year of the title. Maybe at 5 you get a big star with a year on each point instead.

Galaxy changed the rules/decided not to follow them ha.

Galaxy have a gold star on top and two silver ones on the left and right for a total of five stars.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Based off of everything that Merritt Paulson has said on Twitter (which I’ve previously posted on here), I decided to make a couple predictions for the Timbers’ new primary, one with a polo collar like the 2014/15 third and one with a standard v-neck collar:

spacer.png
spacer.png

These could be totally off base, but many fans, myself included, have interpreted Paulson’s hints to mean that the new primaries will be rather simple and possibly quite similar to the enormously popular 2014/15 thirds. There will almost certainly be some small details on the real thing that aren’t present on these prediction mockups, but at the very least I feel pretty good about the new kit having a solid gold collar and cuffs after the 2017/18 primaries had a green collar and cuffs and the outgoing 2019/20 primaries have the white collar and cuffs with gold trim.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

spacer.png

With RSL getting a new secondary this year, I'm once again hoping for a return of the yellow over plain white. I think this was arguably their most iconic kit to date, but I can't say I have faith it will return.

@upperV03 Don't think adidas will offer polo collars for 2021, so safe to say they're not getting one. If you asked me, without knowing more than you do, I'd say the collar and cuffs are going to be green with a gold edging - it's one of adidas' "premium" styles for 2021. 

@kylonian I would be very surprised to ever see a yellow kit from RSL again. 

I realized that when Austin unveiled their inaugural primary kit, they never showed off the shorts and socks to go with the striped shirt. Brian Straus (Sports Illustrated) posted an article about the kit back when it was unveiled, and Austin FC senior VP of marketing James Ruth is quoted as saying that the kit will have black shorts and socks. Personally I was hoping the socks would be green, but none the less here’s a mockup of what the shirt could look like with black shorts and socks:

spacer.png

I’m hoping the shorts and socks have green Adidas stripes even though the Adidas stripes on the shirt are white. White stripes on the shorts and socks would just be a bit too plain IMO and wouldn’t tie as well into the green-heavy shirt.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

@upperV03 Don't think adidas will offer polo collars for 2021, so safe to say they're not getting one. If you asked me, without knowing more than you do, I'd say the collar and cuffs are going to be green with a gold edging - it's one of adidas' "premium" styles for 2021. 

The polo collar is definitely a bit of wishful thinking on my part. You have more intel on Adidas’ stylings for 2021 than I do, so you’re probably right that polo collars won’t be offered. That said, I’m not completely ruling it out, as I think if the Timbers requested a polo collar they could get one (just like Vancouver with their outgoing primaries). I have a strong suspicion that the collar and cuffs will be primarily gold, so maybe gold with a green edging or even gold with a white edging? 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, docbrass said:

I have a feeling that the 2021 new kits will be based on this Condivo 21 template. Condivo 20 was the template for the MLS 25th anniversary kits with the shoulder 3 stripes.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/11/in-detail-adidas-condivo-20-vs-condivo.html

I think you are right. Its an upgrade, but that's not saying much. God, the Condivo 20 was so bad, with the separated shoulders and the huge collar.

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

A designer from adidas was saying that polo collars are very unpopular comfort wise for players and that was a reason they aren't being used in kits as much.

We had Puma teamwear kits with a collar a few years back. I ended up flipping it under my collar because it would flap around and get in my face. It was pretty cheap stuff.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

I think you are right. Its an upgrade, but that's not saying much. God, the Condivo 20 was so bad, with the separated shoulders and the huge collar.

This. Condivo 20 may be the worst template of this last decade; from any manufacturer. Absolute trash. I was all-in on buying a new Sounders kit prior to this year, but that template, plus the awful MLS shoulder stripes turned me off. Hoping for a decent change kit in 2021.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

Archived