MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

Just now, DiePerske said:

Navy v light blue is a good matchup imo. Strong enough to tell a difference

Especially since Chicago has red with that navy and the Union has yellow with the light blue. That gives it even further of a contrast.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Navy v light blue is a good matchup imo. Strong enough to tell a difference

Agreed; either of those vs a middle/royal blue would be a problem, or my personal peeve, light blue vs white.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

j20ef11jhdgvpqml4wyf.png

Surprised this is allowed, even with the contrasting lower halves.

Another example of a matchup where the contrast will probably be passable but far from ideal.  If Colorado went with the burgundy socks, Minnesota easily could’ve gone with their light blue kit. Colorado/SKC have had similar matchups in the last couple years:

spacer.png
spacer.png

Frankly my ideal situation would be for Minnesota to wear their light blue tops with the grey shorts and socks from their primary kit. It doesn’t seem like they have dedicated clash shorts or socks for their new secondaries, but the grey shorts/socks would work fine as a one-time mashup. The home team shouldn’t have to change, and like in European leagues and competitions MLS should make the visitors come up with a kit combo that provides the best contrast. In this case, with Colorado sticking with their standard burgundy/blue/blue combo, that would mean Colorado going with a light blue/grey/grey combo. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, nlane33 said:

Nothing set in stone, but lots of chatter on twitter indicating that Columbus Crew will be dropping "Crew" from their name in a rumored rebrand. 

F*** these generic euro wannabe names.

https://twitter.co m/davisjsn/status/1391113573569646593?s=19

It's hard to imagine somebody explaining to the execs that they need to distance themselves from one of the longest-tenured MLS identities, not to mention one that the fans rallied around like crazy and begged to keep in the city. This would be a flat out terrible move from any angle you approach it.

Personally, I don't even think of "the Crew" nickname as too American or goofy. It was always the weird clip-art crest that gave the identity any amateur undertones before, and that's been long abandoned.

spacer.png

To be honest, I’m looking forward to this change (if it truly is happening). The fanbase as it currently stands is a bit pretentious and it’s hard to root for the team as a result. With the new stadium opening and a new identity that embraces the city first and foremost, I might become a fan, and I assume this change is geared toward more casual viewers like me. I know it’s unique to the league, but I’m hoping for more palatable color scheme, as well.

9 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

To be honest, I’m looking forward to this change (if it truly is happening). The fanbase as it currently stands is a bit pretentious and it’s hard to root for the team as a result. With the new stadium opening and a new identity that embraces the city first and foremost, I might become a fan, and I assume this change is geared toward more casual viewers like me. I know it’s unique to the league, but I’m hoping for more palatable color scheme, as well.

I don't think Crew fans are any more pretentious than any other fans. We are a bit more suspicious of any changes happening, with everyone left in the dark because of that mess with Precourt. It's also important to note that the web site they keep showing links to was created in 2017 by MLS, so this could be a case of just making sure that if someone decides to change the name later they aren't fighting for the web page like Washington 32's have been. Columbus has been black and gold from the start and I don't see why that should change. Yes there are a bunch of teams in Pittsburgh that wear the same colors but none of them play soccer in the MLS. I'd rather they just go back to Columbus Crew, no SC. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

As a Crew fan, I respectfully disagree. I think abandoning the "Crew" name would alienate more supporters than what it's worth, especially if there were color changes involved. It would be a major slap in the face to those who help keep the Crew in Columbus. I don't think any increase in casual fans would negate the loss of hardcore supporters.

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think Crew fans are any more pretentious than any other fans. We are a bit more suspicious of any changes happening, with everyone left in the dark because of that mess with Precourt. It's also important to note that the web site they keep showing links to was created in 2017 by MLS, so this could be a case of just making sure that if someone decides to change the name later they aren't fighting for the web page like Washington 32's have been. Columbus has been black and gold from the start and I don't see why that should change. Yes there are a bunch of teams in Pittsburgh that wear the same colors but none of them play soccer in the MLS. I'd rather they just go back to Columbus Crew, no SC. 

I should specify that my feelings aren’t necessarily representative of everyone who is a fan of the team, but more so the result of people I know who carry significant weight in the Nordecke and essentially act as gatekeepers of the team, truly believing that you were either a fan from the beginning or you can’t be a fan at all. Also, their response to Precourt wanting to move the team also rubbed me the wrong way. People coming out of the woodwork, acting as if they cared about the team. But if that were true, the Crew wouldn’t be among the league’s worst in attendance. I mean, I can’t blame Precourt, either. The city had no intention of building them a new downtown stadium based on those figures. As for the colors, just personally not my cup of tea. I assume they’ll stay for the reason you mentioned, but I always thought an orange and black color scheme would be better given the construction theme they were originally going for.

33 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Twitter-Blasted-New-Kits-Watch-Players-R

yeah this team really has a great history of embracing the city and rejecting its own color scheme.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Just now, Digby said:

Twitter-Blasted-New-Kits-Watch-Players-R

yeah this team really has a great history of embracing the city and rejecting its own color scheme.

Yeah, those "For Columbus" kits were horrible. 

3 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I should specify that my feelings aren’t necessarily representative of everyone who is a fan of the team, but more so the result of people I know who carry significant weight in the Nordecke and essentially act as gatekeepers of the team, truly believing that you were either a fan from the beginning or you can’t be a fan at all. Also, their response to Precourt wanting to move the team also rubbed me the wrong way. People coming out of the woodwork, acting as if they cared about the team. But if that were true, the Crew wouldn’t be among the league’s worst in attendance. I mean, I can’t blame Precourt, either. The city had no intention of building them a new downtown stadium based on those figures. As for the colors, just personally not my cup of tea. I assume they’ll stay for the reason you mentioned, but I always thought an orange and black color scheme would be better given the construction theme they were originally going for.

I think if they did change colors, it's likelier they'd avoid Bengals colors mainly because some of the owners own the Browns. Precourt absolutely deserves some blame because he intentionally cut Spanish language advertising and did the bare minimum to provide a functioning stadium. He even went and cut down gate access during the playoffs to give the appearance of less fans than were actually there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

See, I was a fan of those. Unpopular opinion, I know. 

I mean, I though your original take was bad, but daaaaaamn.

Just more tossing out history in order to supposedly build history.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm having a tough time distinguishing between Minnesota and Colorado on my iPad. Minnesota doesn't have a set that will contrast well with Colorado, and you hate to see the home team forced into its alt because of the road team, but the Rapids probably should have been in green tonight.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm having a tough time distinguishing between Minnesota and Colorado on my iPad.

It's not great on my TV, either.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If real, it's worth noting the shape of the crest is the Ohio burgee (flag).

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

YPrecourt absolutely deserves some blame because he intentionally cut Spanish language advertising and did the bare minimum to provide a functioning stadium. He even went and cut down gate access during the playoffs to give the appearance of less fans than were actually there. 

Ultimately, he was the owner of the team. All of that is his prerogative, whether fans like it or not. 

Archived