MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

4 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

There was talk on reddit that all of this was orchestrated by Whitney Haslam, daughter of the owner, who felt like with them moving into a new stadium that they should have a new start with branding and a like for the team. 

It’s amazing that after the disaster the Haslam family went through with their first Browns uniform redesign, they are literally stepping into the same mess with their soccer club a few years later. How do you make such an egregious error twice?

7 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

It’s amazing that after the disaster the Haslam family went through with their first Browns uniform redesign, they are literally stepping into the same mess with their soccer club a few years later. How do you make such an egregious error twice?

Never facing real consequences of actions.

For everything about this that's bad, honestly, the worst thing is how they chose to do the "opening" of the "C" in that logo — why are the end lines of the "C" working against each other (for lack of a better term)? Am I off for thinking it would look a million times better if the end lines of the "C" were parallel and both angled toward the upper right? It's like the logo is pinching itself.

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Reading more on this, the team is employing the logic that, over the years, its fanbase has simply referred to it as "the Crew" and the Columbus part of it has been lost in the process. So this is all some attempt to remind the world that there's such a place as Columbus. Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2021/05/10/crew-rebrand-elevate-the-city.html

I would buy this if it were an attempt to rebrand a regional economic development agency. But I don't think the world at large was overlooking the fact that the Crew were, in fact, in Columbus. 

So many contradictions here. "We're no longer calling the team the Crew because people were just referring to them as the Crew and leaving out the Columbus part. Having said that, we encourage people to call them Crew sometimes, but also Columbus SC sometimes." 

At least Montreal ditched the Impact name altogether, and didn't try to have their cake & eat it too.

The whole emphasizing the city as the brand doesn't make sense either. It's not like Columbus, Ohio is some glorious urban center that has a brand of it's own, the way places like LA or Nashville do. Arsenal plays in one of the world's most famous cities, and yet has never made any effort of working London into their branding. This doesn't seem to hurt them.

It's so bad. So many things to pick apart. As a fan of The Crew, I thought it slightly insulting when they tried to tell us that we were supposed to call them "Crew SC" instead of "The Crew."  But it's okay for me to call them The Crew again, now that they've changed the name to just Columbus SC?  Huh??

It seems like they forced a new look for the club based around the new stadium, when it really should've been the other way around. And the kicker is that they didn't even do that well. I have really enjoyed the new angular checkered sorta print they've been using everywhere, but I think it looked better with the previous look. I saw it as a mashup of the checkerboard and diagonal stripes from the roundel logo. 

18 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

For everything about this that's bad, honestly, the worst thing is how they chose to do the "opening" of the "C" in that logo — why are the end lines of the "C" working against each other (for lack of a better term)? Am I off for thinking it would look a million times better if the end lines of the "C" were parallel and both angled toward the upper right? It's like the logo is pinching itself.

Looks more like a G than a C.

The brand reeks of stupid people thinking they're smart.

Can you imagine if Hank and Hal Steinbrenner decided the interlocking NY didn't celebrate the Yankees brand enough?

There's a certain grace to leaving well enough alone. Especially the season after winning a title.

20 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

9 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Looks more like a G than a C.

Exactly. That's because they fell in love with the novelty of having a crest that mirrored the state's unique swallowtail-shaped flag, only to shoehorn in a letter that doesn't fit the shape. That little notch is nothing more than confusing filler.  

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

The triangle in the bottom right of the main crest is there only to try and fill out the Ohio flag shape, but the angles at top of the C leave empty space in both the top corners anyway. 

Then they want to present us with a version free of the outline? I mean, look at that logo to the right of the main crest above. It's nothing. Only sort of a C, and definitely no longer flag shaped. 

I would have rather see them flatten the bottom of the 'C' and have two triangles. 

Yeah, this is a mess. They will now look like one of those state fair judges.

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but is this being implemented immediately? The news release from the team didn't say one way or the other. 

They already placed the logo on the new stadium. Seems like they're taking the "no turning back" path. 

8 minutes ago, insert name said:

They already placed the logo on the new stadium. Seems like they're taking the "no turning back" path. 

I guess I'm surprised they haven't placed the crest on a jersey yet. 

The branding is showing up in a few places, like the team mobile app. Yet it's not anchoring the club home page yet, nor has it appeared on the row of logos at the top of all team pages. 

29 minutes ago, DPHF said:

The triangle in the bottom right of the main crest is there only to try and fill out the Ohio flag shape. But the angles at top of the C leave empty space in both the top corners anyway. 

Then they want to present us with a version free of the outline? I mean, look at that logo to the right of the main crest above. It's nothing. Only sort of a C, and definitely no longer flag shaped. 

No no no, not the triangle — the negative space in the “C” itself. Why does THAT have to be a trapezoid and not a parallelogram?

The whole point of the Save The Crew movement was respecting the roots of the club and keeping The CREW in Columbus this ownership group helped save the crew, is building a new stadium, new training ground and delivered an MLS championship

50 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

No no no, not the triangle — the negative space in the “C” itself. Why does THAT have to be a trapezoid and not a parallelogram?

Yes, I got that. I wasn't referring to your thoughts on the C, that's why I didn't quote that. I was just referring to the logos in that tweet. 

I agree with you that the C is a mess. The pinched opening stinks, for sure. 

Even further, the negative space in the center of the C has started to look to me like a poor attempt at an Indiana state outline. Almost like if the Colts took that new C logo from the inside of their collars and spent a couple decades following trends to over-minimalize and angularize it, they might end up with a similar looking C to this one. 

• Est1980 changed the title to Inter Miami Finally Sponsored
  • officeglenn changed the title to MLS Kits 2021