MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

6 hours ago, _RH_ said:

I mean if you want it to look like their flag and have a "C", why don't you rotate the flag?

j69TMj4.png

I wouldn't have as much of an issue with this. It's still unnecessary, but it's way more natural than the way they tried to squeeze the c in with a vertical alignment.

spacer.png

Visit my website atย SSmith Designs (google.com)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been 2 days since this stuff leaked and I have yet to see ANY fan here actually support anything about this rebrand. We have former players coming out against it, we had at least one player tell our local sports radio that the team is unhappy about it, and my 75 year old grandma is even pissed about it. I didn't think it would be possible for the Haslams to turn this fanbase against them after all they've done but here we are. Ridiculous.ย 

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, SpenserRM said:

It's been 2 days since this stuff leaked and I have yet to see ANY fan here actually support anything about this rebrand. We have former players coming out against it, we had at least one player tell our local sports radio that the team is unhappy about it, and my 75 year old grandma is even pissed about it. I didn't think it would be possible for the Haslams to turn this fanbase against them after all they've done but here we are. Ridiculous.ย 

Does no remember Johnny Manziel? If he's still taking business cues from street urchins we may need to lock him in one of his truck stop bathrooms for a while.ย 

km3S7lo.jpg

ย 

Zqy6osx.png

ย 

38 minutes ago, SpenserRM said:

ย 

It's remarkable, isn't it?ย Normally I think backlash against a new look is kind of over the top and people will usually settle down, but in this case I think all the heat the team is getting is fully justified. If all they had done was change the logo to that thing it'd be awful just from a fundamental design standpoint, but on top of that they made the unnecessary step of changing the name, which is a total slap in the face to the fans who just killed themselves to save the team. It's almost impressive how quickly the owners, who've done everything else right so far, could light all their goodwill on fire.ย There's a story in the Athletic about them bringing members of the supporters group into see it and they expected the fans to be thrilled and were puzzled when instead it wasย met with anger and confusion. It's hard to be thatย incredibly tonedeaf.ย 

ย 

I think I know the guys who worked on it and they're usually good, which means some bad decision makers wrestled too much creative control. These are the same owners who thought this was a good idea:

ย 

BrownsNew.0.0.jpg

ย 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Even if it's not on their shirt, I have a funny feeling the new crest will be EVERYWHERE in their new stadium when it opens in July. That's about the only reason I can figure out for the timing of the announcement after the season has started.

The state outline logo and the Crew wordmark have already been used this season, so a soft reveal had already been taking place.ย 

May 8, 2021; Columbus, Ohio, USA; The Columbus Crew SC celebrate after defeating the D.C. United at Historic Crew Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Philadelphia Union v Columbus Crew SC : News Photo

Philadelphia Union v Columbus Crew SC : News Photo

I don't know why they couldn't have at least included this shield design in the grouping as well. I also wonder if the new stadium will carry these over, or if they will have new championship shields using the new shape instead. I'd like to see them carry over these for championships, but other than the 96 inside this outline, that shield hasn't been in use since 2013.ย 

km3S7lo.jpg

ย 

Zqy6osx.png

ย 

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The new Columbus C could pretty easily be a Cleveland C if it needed to be, right?

ย 

tenor-19.gif

ย 

The state of Ohio now has 5 different pro teams whose primary logo is a C, not to mention the dozen or so other teams in North America who use the letter.

18 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I'm pretty sure that I saw similar logo on Cartoon Network.

ย 

I start to hate MLS for trying to be too much European. Be yourself for f#$k sake!

Itโ€™s also funny that for all the euro-branding they do around the team names, they forget that a lot of European clubs get by withย awful, non-modernย crests. I mean look at Watford, for example.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

42 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Itโ€™s also funny that for all the euro-branding they do around the team names, they forget that a lot of European clubs get by withย awful, non-modernย crests. I mean look at Watford, for example.

Remember when Leeds wanted to update their crest?ย 

Brand New: New Crest for Leeds United F.C.

This is almost at that level of hubris by the Crew front office.ย 

5 Final Watford FC Logo Options Revealed - Footy Headlines

Watford even considered changing their badge, some of which are much better, but decided to listen to their fan base instead.ย 

km3S7lo.jpg

ย 

Zqy6osx.png

ย 

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Remember when Leeds wanted to update their crest?ย 

Brand New: New Crest for Leeds United F.C.

This is almost at that level of hubris by the Crew front office.ย 

5 Final Watford FC Logo Options Revealed - Footy Headlines

Watford even considered changing their badge, some of which are much better, but decided to listen to their fan base instead.ย 

ย 

That's the big distinction here. MLS teams want so badly to emulate Europe in every way but the ones that matter. The Super League fiasco aside, the Watford example here is how it should be done. And I agree, some of those examples are fantastic. But to the fans, they likely represented a different club than their own.ย 

ย 

I wonder whether a better approach for the Crew wouldn't have been to instead take a page out of higher education, where universities often have institutional branding that's different from the athletics branding.ย 

ย 

In this case, Columbus Soccer Club could be the business brand, Crew is the athletics brand. Could be a terrible idea, but it could also be an option for moments like this where ownership wants to modernize or move in a new direction, but the fanbase is resistant to change.ย 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

I wonder whether a better approach for the Crew wouldn't have been to instead take a page out of higher education, where universities often have institutional branding that's different from the athletics branding.ย 

ย 

In this case, Columbus Soccer Club could be the business brand, Crew is the athletics brand. Could be a terrible idea, but it could also be an option for moments like this where ownership wants to modernize or move in a new direction, but the fanbase is resistant to change.ย 

ย 

That would have been wonderful. The rich kids who don't care about soccer would have been able to create special club for themselves without bothering everyone else.

More teams should do this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

ย 

That's the big distinction here. MLS teams want so badly to emulate Europe in every way but the ones that matter. The Super League fiasco aside, the Watford example here is how it should be done. And I agree, some of those examples are fantastic. But to the fans, they likely represented a different club than their own.ย 

ย 

ย 

Since rumor is that the people that are making their next home kit were also involved in this, and based in the UK, that's probably why we got this mess of a logo that really doesn't say much by itself. And if they're basing that kit off the new stadium design, like this year's grey kit was, I don't know what to expect. I'd like it to be something closer to the STC kit, but it'll probably be black with specks of yellow here and there.ย 

km3S7lo.jpg

ย 

Zqy6osx.png

ย 

Ehhh, I always thought the Watford process was flawed. I mean, yes, listen to your fan base, but they needed (and still need)ย a change badly enough that they could have said to fans, "We're changing the crest. Here are your options" and left keeping the old crest off the table.ย 

ย 

Anyway ...

• "Columbus SC" = dumb
  • Removing "Crew" from official name = dumb
  • Hoping fans still call them the Crew anyway = dumb
  • New crest = dumb

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Archived