MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

On 12/1/2020 at 2:11 PM, Digby said:

I tend to think that it doesn't matter what other cool French names are. "Impact" sounds kinda dorky but it's one of the few words that works in French and English, which is clever and smart for a team that is quite clear about trying to appeal to both communities in Montreal. More importantly it's established, at nearly 30 years in now, and I don't think there's any good reason to toss that aside unless your name is racist.

I always hated it because it had nothing to do with the city. Revolution fits, Dynamo fits, Sounders fits, Timbers fits, all of which because they correspond to geography, history, or something relevant. Impact was never my favorite.

I would prefer Olympique, or Club de Foot, or Stade de Montreal to just "FC" but I'm not opposed to dropping the name. America's current attempt at soccer is young, and I think almost anything would be better than "Impact".

spacer.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

I always hated it because it had nothing to do with the city. Revolution fits, Dynamo fits, Sounders fits, Timbers fits, all of which because they correspond to geography, history, or something relevant. Impact was never my favorite.

I would prefer Olympique, or Club de Foot, or Stade de Montreal to just "FC" but I'm not opposed to dropping the name. America's current attempt at soccer is young, and I think almost anything would be better than "Impact".

Maybe it doesn't correspond to a geographic reference or a historical event, but it's absolutely relevant given Montreal's unique linguistic culture in North America, being deliberately chosen as a shared French/English word. Granted "Football Club" works there, as well, at least given the way it's typically used in team names. Too bad they didn't think of that 30 years ago, and now to do it they have to join half the league, on a trend that began in MLS with their hated archrival no less.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 12/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, dannykraft said:

A designer from adidas was saying that polo collars are very unpopular comfort wise for players and that was a reason they aren't being used in kits as much.

I can see that being true for the players, but also tend to believe that these design trends are just cyclical. Whole bunch of Nike and Puma teams rolled out polo-collar kits for Euro 2020, for example.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

17 minutes ago, Digby said:

I can see that being true for the players, but also tend to believe that these design trends are just cyclical. Whole bunch of Nike and Puma teams rolled out polo-collar kits for Euro 2020, for example.

adidas also had a faux collar look with their uniforms a few years back. The Nike jerseys have a collar that's a lot tighter around the neck than the older ones. I had the USA home shirt a few years back and wore it without the top button done because of the fit.

Nike Shirts | Usa Soccer Jersey Size L Nike Dri Fit | Poshmark

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Maybe it doesn't correspond to a geographic reference or a historical event, but it's absolutely relevant given Montreal's unique linguistic culture in North America, being deliberately chosen as a shared French/English word. Granted "Football Club" works there, as well, at least given the way it's typically used in team names. Too bad they didn't think of that 30 years ago, and now to do it they have to join half the league, on a trend that began in MLS with their hated archrival no less.

True, that is fair, but I still think they could lean into some of the mixed stuff. Club de Foot is essentially Football Club, it's not a barrier to understanding, nor is Olympique (or even just Olympic) Sport Club like with Lille. 

Canadiens clearly made sense, Expos made sense with the historic reference. Montreal has always had this cool thing like you mention where it can work in both English and French, but I can't take a name like "Impact" seriously in a sporting context. You're point in saying it's a shared word between the two languages is fair, but even just in existing Montreal sporting history, there have been better names that achieve something similar. 

Feels more like a product of the time it was founded in, and I think it comes off as pretty dated in my own opinion. I think a more unique to Quebec/French identity to reflect the heritage of the city and province would be vastly preferable to just FC, but I'm not at all busted up about them dropping Impact from the name. So long as they keep the blue and black and the fleur de lis motifs, I'm all for it.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/12/chicago-fire-2021-logo-leaked.html

New Fire logo leaked, apparently. Thought The Athletic said it was for 2022 so I don't know fully how reputable this is.

For what it's worth, I think it is a significant improvement on the current crest.

If that’s even close to what it’s going to be, who in MLS Marketing or Fire management loves that ugly blocky fire crown thing. 

Guys bearing in mind that's an approximation not the actual thing, no? Isn't that what the guy was tweeting about and someone randomly drew that up? Also confusing tweet thread so might be wrong.

I really don't hate it. It's vastly better than the old one, but I agree with the crown being bad. Replace it with a white 6-pointed star and I genuinely like that crest a lot.

spacer.png

On 12/17/2020 at 12:23 PM, Digby said:

Maybe it doesn't correspond to a geographic reference or a historical event, but it's absolutely relevant given Montreal's unique linguistic culture in North America, being deliberately chosen as a shared French/English word.

“Debacle” is another shared French/English word.  So is “cliche”.   And “abominable”... 😉

Archived