MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

Alas, Boston is not Anaheim, and won’t particularly care either way I suspect. Still, in the hypothetical, you could imagine that changing the name to Boston would make sense; better to signal a new era and flag down those new moneyed urbanite fans than to maintain the New England as KraftCo brand. 

I would’ve liked a nice NE monogram since the Patriots have never had a lasting one, besides my usual dislike for team nickname monograms.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, Digby said:

I am much less worried about the designer themselves and more concerned about the process; a common thread in MLS rebrands is seemingly that the supporters are not considered stakeholders and the results show it. This isn’t a bad-vibes trainwreck like the Fire or Columbus SC or CF Montreal by any means but I’m still feeling that absence. Does “patriotic bunting” represent the 26-year-old soccer team Revolution or does it represent a one-page design brief idea of the Revolution?

With all due respect, what type of process are you looking for if not this? It’d be one thing if “patriotic bunting” was the only relevant device amongst the whole collection of work, but it’s really a tiny percentage of the whole.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 hours ago, Digby said:

I would’ve liked a nice NE monogram...

As I said earlier in this thread, place Brian Gundell's NER letter mark...

spacer.png 

at the center of Charmie Shah's fort-shaped containment device...

spacer.png

... and you'd have the makings of  a timelessly classic soccer club crest. 

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

With all due respect, what type of process are you looking for if not this? It’d be one thing if “patriotic bunting” was the only relevant device amongst the whole collection of work, but it’s really a tiny percentage of the whole.

I would have expected and hoped for, based on the direction of Revs fan culture for the past 10 or more years, nods to New England culture — the red flag, the pine tree, et al. This package mostly reads as something that could fit a patriotic-themed team in a half-dozen old US cities; I hoped for something that would balance with the regional identity more. 

I realize there’s more to “the whole” but the typography and the old fort graphic are awfully secondary and disposable as marketing graphics and not the main crest, which I think is the natural focus.

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Ugh. 

I desperately want a NE monogram, but that ain’t it. 

I love the idea of a pentagonal-shaped badge. Fort yes, NRE no. 

I think a mostly-red badge would be better for the Revs. 

I understand that most clubs want their primary logo to be in their primary color, but I think they should instead lean into a secondary color so it stands out against the shirt, on merchandise, and the like.  

Just now, Gothamite said:

I actually think a mostly-red badge would be better for the Revs. 

I understand that most clubs want their primary logo to be in their primary color, but I think they should actually lean into a secondary color so it stands out against the shirt, on merchandise, and the like.  

And that would work in two ways; keep the navy shirt that's traditional (and presumably what the Krafts want), but appease the supporters groups who are all about that all-red, no-navy flag. Sold.

22 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Well, that's one way to get the focus off of the badge I guess?

Or it's a statement of the quality of the research that went into the badge design. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

I like the new Revbusters logo! 😊

Revbusters? That's a cool nickname if I ever read one. I say out of all the rebrands existed in MLS, the Revs done a good job upgrading their logo to a more respectable one. Take notes, everyone!

On 6/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, Brian in Boston said:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

That Wordmark is fantastic they should have that on the kit and then a different club logo maybe using the New England Tree as a club logo like how Rangers use theirs.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, Brian in Boston said:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

That would be a beautiful crest!

MLS clubs to wear special numbers this weekend to mark Juneteenth:

Jerseys with these numbers will then be auctioned off to raise money for organizations that uplift Black communities in MLS markets.

Archived