MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

5 hours ago, Digby said:

The new one mostly feels like a secondary logo, the more I think about it. Like there’s another in the portfolio that is more fleshed out. Normally I prefer more minimalism but this one is flipping around my usual preference.

I think there’s a fine line between simple and simplistic, and the new crest is very close to it. Overall, I like it and think it’s the most polished identity suite the team has ever had, but I think just one or two little flourishes (maybe a more “true” Florian cross silhouette, maybe retaining the club name or bringing a 97 in somewhere) would have made this sing.

Only thing I dislike is the return of that silly spur on the C. It doesn’t fit the blocky, “big city municipal” aesthetic of the new type, in my opinion; it feels like like a very vestigial thing to bring back under the apparent guise of a historical brand element.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, Brian in Boston said:

It has occurred to me that one reason so many sports logo and uniform unveilings are leaving me underwhelmed as of late is that so damned many of them are taking place. Where once the unveiling of a new team logo or uniform - to say nothing of a complete rebrandng of a franchise, including its name - was a relative rarity, today there doesn't seem to be a week that goes by without one team or another introducing some new graphic identifier to their family of marks, or adopting a new set of togs. "City Connect" this... "What Might Have Been?" that... "Association/Icon/Community/Athlete Mindset" blah, blah, blah.

It's the same hackwork passive-voice copy every time, too. "Forged by our history. Inspired by our future." "Shaped by our individuals. Designed for our community." "Guided by change. Driven by continuity." We're getting inspired by communities on a weekly basis but the product is always the same. 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, Brian in Boston said:

Bottom line: Are we at risk of all of the sports logo and uniform reinvention becoming too much of a good thing... even for enthusiasts like us?      

yes

Anyway the new Fire logo is better than the last one but they still should have just touched up the original and not made a big deal out of it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's the same hackwork passive-voice copy every time, too. "Forged by our history. Inspired by our future." "Shaped by our individuals. Designed for our community." "Guided by change. Driven by continuity." We're getting inspired by communities on a weekly basis but the product is always the same. 

This is why the Chargers' mode of reveal was so refreshing.  They started down that road, but about half a sentence into it,  they were like, "Nahh....all you need to know is that we took the best...and made it better." I do remember a few infographics came out, but for the most part, that was it.

Edit: here's the link to that video...

Chargers Reveal Video

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 6/20/2021 at 5:07 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

The gray and C I think did become a but stale. But just tweak some things and...

image.png

I'd update the overall shape and design of the Florian cross so it won't feel out of place in the year of 2021.

2 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I'd update the overall shape and design of the Florian cross so it won't feel out of place in the year of 2021.

I did think after I made it the shape could be tweaked and probably the red outlines in the cross could be removed (make the middle spoked wheel red)

On 6/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, officeglenn said:

You can roll your eyes, but given the amount of public consultation they did, maybe it *is* what everyone wanted. Or at least the people they heard from. I mean, take these numbers with a grain of salt, but if that's what they heard, then that's what they heard. And when your city has a flag as awesome as Chicago's, why not build around it? No other major pro sports team in the city has done so on a permanent basis.

stats.jpg

What they heard was they screwed up and everyone wants the old logo back.

10 hours ago, Saturn said:

That's not what I'm hearing from my contacts in the SG.

They screwed up, yes.  But the original logo wasn't untouchable,  Had they jumped right from that one to this new one, there wouldn't have been an uproar.

10 hours ago, Saturn said:

I love "225,000 words written via website submission." What a meaningless stat without any useable context.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Consider me underwhelmed, disappointed, and unimpressed by the Fire logo fix. Is it better than the Doubleday and Cartwright thing from a couple years ago? Yes. It would be very difficult to go though this process and come up with something worse. This is still just not "it", though. 

Here's my main issue - the formula structure of a soccer badge is you take type, one or two graphic elements, and then house it all neatly into a containing shape. With the Chicago Fire brand they were told through their massive focus grouping effort, "You need the Florian cross or else". That's a huge gift - with the Florian cross you can knock out both your containing shape and graphic element with the same piece. That gives you your badge shape, it's unique to your club within the sport, instantly recognizable to club history, and it says "fire" with no words needed to spell it out. They also don't need to use a cheesy flame or fire axes or fire helmets or anything like that. I do not understand then taking that uniquely shaped object all yours and yours alone and mashing it to fit inside of a roundel to the point that it's barely intelligible as the Florian cross. 

This brand should not be this hard and now twice they've spent a lot of money and made a big show, for two different reasons, on two badges that come up short and came up really really short of hitting the mark. I'm not a fan of this team, but I'd be extra bummed if I was. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The new Fire crest is better than the previous but that's a given. They could've dumped out anything and it could've been better. It still doesn't come close to the original.

This is a lot of money wasted on something that should've never happened to begin with. With Columbus and Chicago, these "marketing groups" just need to cut the **** already. Let the fans decide what needs to be done with the brand. If fans agree there needs to be a change, then it shall be but until then, just leave well enough alone. This sucks man. 

XM4KeeA.png

Given this hubbub about the Chicago Sk--um, Fire's new crest, and I know this is just about the most random time ever to ask this, but...has there ever been like a fun little bracket tournament around here to determine the best crest in MLS? (Ha--"best", "crest", em-el-"ess"...bars.) 

Because if not, and even if so, I'm submitting my pick for the best--or at least most "striking"--right here:

e9bccf546b7b170cb2ad9384fd8583ac.jpg

Man that thing's 🔥...try to change my mind.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

21 hours ago, WBeltz said:

4th of July pre-match tops got leaked. And you know what, I like them. Perfect use of an old design.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/06/usa-94-world-cup-inspired-adidas-mls.html

If they make them available at retail, I am *so* buying a Revs version.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I'm submitting my pick for the best--or at least most "striking"--right here:

e9bccf546b7b170cb2ad9384fd8583ac.jpg

Man that thing's 🔥...try to change my mind.

That thing is so close to great.  But your graphic shows one of the major problems - no keyline. The black wing blends into the dark background. 

7 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

The floating star is my one major quibble with the Loons' logo. Besides not feeling connected to the rest of the logo,  if they ever win an MLS Cup it's going to clash horribly.

That's a problem I look forward to personally :) I wonder if at that point they would go full-time with the full lockup with the black that they introduced when they entered MLS and use in certain applications (like the goalie kits).

spacer.png

7 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

The floating star is my one major quibble with the Loons' logo. Besides not feeling connected to the rest of the logo,  if they ever win an MLS Cup it's going to clash horribly.

I agree, but the USWNT showed us doubling different stars isn't the worst thing in the world:

R2dc28bb92751dacb90450f04aadedee2?rik=n9

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Right. 

Now, full disclosure, I'm still new to the Loony toon crew over here, but in just about everything I've seen of them they  tend to use their crest in some spunky ways,  which create some interesting results, like the image I linked above, or the way their current light bl--sorry, "River kits" (whatever)--turned out:

Detail-3.jpg

One of these is hanging in my closet right now along with a bunch of other Loon swag (yeah they won me over while I was over there), including a cap I got from the team store at Allianz in Saint Paul which has two crests on it:

26BxdjJ.jpg

So when I wear it all together, I wear three crests (four if you include my keychain). Kinda funny! But yes, them using that version of the crest lends to some unique results. Truth told I actually prefer that version to the black-keylined one.

Archived