Minnesota Wild: What say you?

CS85

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Wild is a great name for the team, it's evocative and rolls off the tongue nicely.

And as for worst name in the Big 5 leagues, it's a no contest since Club de Foot Montréal was announced as the new name for Montréal Impact.

Inter Miami C.F.'s logo is in spanish.

662175592020.gif

Montreal essentially translated "Montreal FC" in french. Teams have the option to translate their logo.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Wild is a great name for the team, it's evocative and rolls off the tongue nicely.

And as for worst name in the Big 5 leagues, it's a no contest since Club de Foot Montréal was announced as the new name for Montréal Impact.

Club de Football

If it was just Foot wouldn't it be pied?

Mine in no specific order

Red Bull, they may call themselves Red Bulls but no where on their logo or kits does it have the added S.

Canucks - is a what?

Commanders - Football Team was a thousand times more awesome.

Phillies - Cheese Steak?

Texans - only in Houston apparently

Utah Jazz - Noooooooo more

Lost Angels of somewhere.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

28 minutes ago, tigers said:

Club de Football

Mine in no specific order

Red Bull, they may call themselves Red Bulls but no where on their logo or kits does it have the added S.

Canucks - is a what?

Commanders - Football Team was a thousand times more awesome.

Phillies - Cheese Steak?

Texans - only in Houston apparently

Utah Jazz - Noooooooo more

Lost Angels of somewhere.

It does say "Red Bulls" on the back of the jerseys.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, tigers said:

Club de Football

In the Euro League, it's shortened to Foot.

You are right. But it's to avoid confusion with the other Canadian Football Club, the Montreal Alouettes. It's not a good idea, if both local sports are called the same thing.

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Inter Miami C.F.'s logo is in spanish.

662175592020.gif

Montreal essentially translated "Montreal FC" in french. Teams have the option to translate their logo.

There are no shortage of teams that have the name "Club de Fútbol"

There is no other major team in a  Francophone area that uses Club de Foot. The closest are teams from France that use Foot + Department name, such as Clermont Foot 63 and Grenoble Foot 38 and a few that use foot on its own, but it's FC.

That, and given just how unpopular the name change was, Club de Foot Montreal belongs on the list of bad names.

4 hours ago, tigers said:

Canucks - is a what?

They were named after Johnny Canuck, a political cartoon character who respresented Canada.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

In the Euro League, it's shortened to Foot.

You are right. But it's to avoid confusion with the other Canadian Football Club, the Montreal Alouettes. It's not a good idea, if both local sports are called the same thing.

Translate Foot from English to French and see what you get, hint is i wrote it before.

Also Football in French is Football.

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

There is no other major team in a  Francophone area that uses Club de Foot. The closest are teams from France that use Foot + Department name, such as Clermont Foot 63 and Grenoble Foot 38 and a few that use foot on its own, but it's FC.

That, and given just how unpopular the name change was, Club de Foot Montreal belongs on the list of bad names.

They were named after Johnny Canuck, a political cartoon character who respresented Canada.

Wrong.

Maybe someone else knows the real meaning of the word. Let's just say that Washington Football Team and Cleveland Guardians previous names are similar.

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

"Wild" is a good name, and no one can change my mind on that.

It really flows well. I definitely have a bias being a Wild fan, but that’s the best I can come up with as to why it sounds good. 

21 minutes ago, Ark said:

I like that they don't match home and road uniforms.

They’re much similar now though, then they were with the red sweaters. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Yep. Montreal is the first. The name got mixed reviews, the "snowflake" logo didn't go over well.

2 hours ago, Ark said:

I like that they don't match home and road uniforms.

The North Stars had a history of slightly different h & r jerseys. The Wild franchise are continuing that tradition. The jerseys don't completely mismatch. It's only a few small changes, so each jersey is set apart in a way to look nicer. This particular set needs those slight changes.

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

"Wild" is a good name, and no one can change my mind on that.

I never saw anything wrong with that name, to be perfectly honest.

9 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Nope, the team were named after Johnny Canuck. The official nickname of the Canadian National Rugby Team is also The Canucks.

The name is far closer to New York Yankees than the ones you suggested.

Yeah that's not right.

Another guess?

Wild isn't a good name but it's tolerable. It's better than Magic, Thunder, Ducks, Sharks, Avalanche, Predators, Lightning, or Blue Jackets. Hockey has a lot of bad team names.

The Wild's Winter Classic uniforms are incredible though, that should be their full time brand. 

On 2/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, plobrien said:

The Wild's Winter Classic uniforms are incredible though, that should be their full time brand. 

Oof. Hard pass on that one. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived