USBL Basketball League (20 Teams, Logos, Jerseys, and Courts)

jaha32

spacer.png

It’s been years since I posted anything on here, but I’ve been tinkering on logo concepts in my spare time over the years, and I’ve finally gotten around to compiling them into a 20-team basketball league I'm calling the USBL.

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Baltimore Barons, Boston Bees, Chicago Cyclones, DC Ambassadors, Nashville Rhythm, New York Empire, Ohio Flight, Philadelphia Liberty, South Florida Crocodiles, Tampa Thunderhawks

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona Desert Demons, California Fire, Hawaii Tropics, Houston Hurricane, Las Vegas Stars, Minneapolis Owls, New Orleans Marauders, Rocky Mountain 14ers, Sacramento Miners, Texas Toros

Some of the teams are carryovers from a previous concept series that I posted on these boards almost a decade ago (called the EBA). I’ve gone back and edited a handful of those. Others are loosely based on fictional teams I created as a kid back when I used to draw logos on paper or Paint. And the rest are completely new.

A few will look like your traditional NBA-styled basketball logos, which tend to contain the team’s full name spelled out and a ball all within the boundaries of the logo, but others will look more like football, hockey, or college logos where the team name is separate. By not having the team name in the logo, I’ve found that it allows for a lot more freedom composition-wise. I also tried to avoid overdesigning so the logos remain clean and easy to read if reproduced on jerseys, courts, apparel, etc…

I’m kind of busy these days, but I do have most of the 20 logos finished and I’ll post these as I finish up each team’s jerseys and courts, so hopefully I can keep at this.

The first team is the New Orleans Marauders in Mardi Gras colors. For the jerseys, I focused on purple and yellow and kept green as an accent color since there are a few other teams with green too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

Glad to see some fictional Basketball concepts on the board again! Been looking at the boards for a few years now and just recently got an account. The EBA is definitely one of my favorites always wished I was around when it was active, 

so glad to see you back! Can’t wait to see the rest. Good work so far New Orleans looks fantastic.

Thanks for the feedback so far, all.

I'm staying in the south for the next team - the Houston Hurricane. The logo features the state of Texas encircled by a hurricane coming in from the Chihuahuan Desert of all places. The star shows the location of Houston on a map. I always like a good logo in the shape of a state outline, and Texas has pretty much the most recognizable shape so I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this one.

With the light blue jersey, I took inspiration from the GS Warriors' jersey numbers that are positioned inside their logo.  

Updated Version 9/29/2021

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 16

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 2/20)

This is a really solid logo. One thing I would suggest would be making the waves a little more prominent on the primary. Even if it's just a simple resizing to be a little bigger. Right now it kinda looks like one single wave on the bottom left instead of an entire Hurricane.

I appreciate the feedback!

5 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

This is a really solid logo. One thing I would suggest would be making the waves a little more prominent on the primary. Even if it's just a simple resizing to be a little bigger. Right now it kinda looks like one single wave on the bottom left instead of an entire Hurricane.

I see what you're saying. I may add a small hint of waves on the right side to mirror the waves on the left. When making this, I did experiment with larger waves but the more the waves covered the state, the less recognizable the state was. I'll look into revisiting this.

8 hours ago, ralphz said:

This is really nice. Not sure honestly how I feel about the logo with numbers inside, but it does work. 

There is a lot going on in that space but I think I like it. At first I was just going to keep it safe and traditional with the team name slapped above a number like the navy jersey, but I decided to try something different. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Do you still have any of your old EBA concepts for us to see? I thought they were really cool. 

Thank you. You can still find the old EBA thread on the first page of the "The Creamers and the Concepts Hall of Fame". I still have the vector files saved away, and a few of the EBA team names will make a reappearance here, although the logos themselves will be edited or completely different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigers said:

For Houston a great alt logo would be a double H.

Great logos already.

Many of these teams will not have alt logos. I didn't bother expanding beyond the primary logo if I felt the primary was solid enough on its own at any scale (similar in the way most NFL teams that don't bother utilizing alt logos)

2 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Any reason why you went for "Hurricane", singular?

There is/was a basketball team called the Chautauqua Hurricane, singular, and for some reason that really jumped out at me as unique - as if the whole team is one hurricane moving in cohesion. Plus, it seemed to roll of the tongue easy with both city and nickname starting with an 'H' and ending on an 'N'.

There will be a few other non-plural teams to come.

22 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

A double H? I'm not sure that would fly these days.

Sorry i don't get this comment.

19 hours ago, jaha32 said:

Many of these teams will not have alt logos. I didn't bother expanding beyond the primary logo if I felt the primary was solid enough on its own at any scale (similar in the way most NFL teams that don't bother utilizing alt logos)

There is/was a basketball team called the Chautauqua Hurricane, singular, and for some reason that really jumped out at me as unique - as if the whole team is one hurricane moving in cohesion. Plus, it seemed to roll of the tongue easy with both city and nickname starting with an 'H' and ending on an 'N'.

There will be a few other non-plural teams to come.

That is fair, just an observation on my part.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

16 hours ago, jaha32 said:

I've gone back and updated the post with the Houston Hurricane logo based on feedback from MDTrey4. 

The hurricane now has waves on both sides to balance the composition. 

That definitely looks a lot more balance. Like the water is actually encompassing Texas. Good update