USBL Basketball League (20 Teams, Logos, Jerseys, and Courts)

jaha32

On 9/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, cLuTcHy said:

Love it man! Really adds a nice balance! Can’t wait to see what else is in store.

Thanks! Glad you like.

17 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

That definitely looks a lot more balance. Like the water is actually encompassing Texas. Good update

I appreciate it.  And actually the very first draft didn't even have any waves, so this logo has evolved.

Team number 3 should be up this weekend. This one will be an east coast city.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:20 PM, scottyeagle said:

Really excited about this! Your first basketball league helped me find these boards in the first place. Don't forget to update Houston's logo changes  on the uniform package as well 

Thanks! And I just updated the jerseys for Houston so now it's on to the next team.

Team number 3 is the Baltimore Barons. The logo is meant to look more like your standard basketball logo with both the team name and ball. 

The story behind this logo starts with a fictional league I simulated as a kid. I had a team in Baltimore and their logo captured the skyline around the city's harbor in red and black. I recently re-created that logo and chose the name Barons (which is also the same name of the team in my previous EBA series). 

The composition of this logo is somewhat inspired by the Sacramento Kings and the jersey on the right is inspired by the dark gray jerseys the Brooklyn Nets wore with black trimming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 3/20)
5 hours ago, Dion Jones Jr. said:

The Baron's set has to be my favorite so far, out of curiosity, is there any chance Cleveland will get a team in this series? 

18 of the 20 cities are pretty much set, but 2 are still up in the air. There aren't enough Midwest teams so I was going to put another team in that region. It could be Cleveland, but I had a few other cities in mind.

4 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Why not remove all traces of white? Make the Barons text on the logo and home and the outline on the numbers light gray, like on the shading on the buildings.

On the dark gray jersey, eliminating all white was intentional to give that set a dark feel, so I see where you're coming from. I liked how those few red lines contrasted brightly against the darker jersey.

But on the logo and red jersey, I want to keep the letters white since white jumps out as being in the foreground while the dark gray buildings fall to the background. Gray looked muddled for the letters which are the focal point.

The next team is the Tampa Thunderhawks. Like Baltimore above, this is based on a fictional team my older brother and I created as kids in the mid to late 90s. The team started out as the Tampa Thunder, then the Thunderbirds, and then the Thunderhawks. I don't remember for sure but I'm guessing the name was inspired by the Tampa Bay Lightning. Tropicana Field in St. Pete also used to be called the ThunderDome at that time, and the Tampa area is known to have a lot of lightning. The colors have always been blue and green, but I've lightened the  green here.

The logo features a geometrically stylized bird with sharp edges to match the angular lightning bolt. 

These jerseys are somewhat reminiscent of the Atlanta Hawks jerseys from the mid-90s which had their hawk logo with spread wings on the front jersey. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 4/20)

Being from Florida I really appreciate seeing a brand I’ve never seen before! I’m so used to the tropical/pirate brand that seeing a Floridian team called the Thunderhawks is really rad!! I know in your first post you mentioned about maybe doing courts for the teams. No rush I know you’ve  probably just haven’t gotten to them yet but either way just thinking of what the courts of teams in the USBL would look like gets me really excited on whats to come next! Keep up the amazing work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cLuTcHy said:

Being from Florida I really appreciate seeing a brand I’ve never seen before! I’m so used to the tropical/pirate brand that seeing a Floridian team called the Thunderhawks is really rad!! I know in your first post you mentioned about maybe doing courts for the teams. No rush I know you’ve  probably just haven’t gotten to them yet but either way just thinking of what the courts of teams in the USBL would look like gets me really excited on whats to come next! Keep up the amazing work.

Glad you like it as a Floridian and thanks for following! To me "Thunderhawks" sounds like the type of name that would come from the 90s, which is part of the reason I like it. And I don't think it's used very much across the sports world. I do plan on making courts. I want to get a bunch of jerseys done first (since I find jerseys more challenging than courts), and then see if I any ideas for courts come to me over time. The next team probably won't be up til the weekend again.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:38 AM, Dion Jones Jr. said:

It all just flows so naturally, it all looks so good

I appreciate all the positive feedback so far.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:06 AM, JMtexan09 said:

Those are pretty good start, I really dig on how you came up with team names for any cities. My favorite one is definitely Houston Hurricanes, but I look forward to see the remaining teams. Great works!

Thanks! I'm happy with how Houston turned out. And there will be one more team from Texas to come.

The next team is the  DC Ambassadors. They would likely be rivals of the nearby Baltimore Barons. The logo evolved from an old EBA concept that I had previously made (the DC Generals) which also had three stars arranged with DC lettering. The idea of the three horizontal stars is taken from the Washington D.C. flag.

The jerseys are inspired by the Harlem Globetrotters who wear blue tops and white shorts with thick red stripes. Rather than having the stripes be thick, I turned them into pinstripes that continue up into the jersey tops. Having shorts and jerseys in different colors is pretty uncommon in basketball but I felt this team could pull it off. The whole identity, from the jerseys to the red and white ball in the logo, is meant to have an ABA/Globetrotters feel to it.

spacer.png

Updated Jerseys

spacer.png

• Like 7

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 5/20)
18 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

Those shorts are certainly something else haha 

They are meant to be fun... but hopefully still look good. lol. 

17 hours ago, Dion Jones Jr. said:

Wasn't the globetrotters rival the Washington Generals? If so then this has a little but of irony that's pretty funny. 

It wasn't my intention but that is true!

After looking at the jerseys with a fresh set of eyes, I'm not really feeling the color contrast between the red pinstripes on the blue jerseys. I've decided I'm going to have the pinstripes more subtle on both sets, like they are currently on the red jersey, and possibly a new number font. I've already begun making tweaks and will update here.

I've gone back and made some tweaks to the Ambassadors jerseys. The trimming and colors are now more consistent between the two sets.

Now moving out west, the next team is the Arizona Desert Demons. Again, based on a team I made as a kid. The name may have been inspired by the Wake Forest Demon Deacons but I really don't remember. For the logo, I tweaked and repurposed an old EBA logo I made (the Diablos) since it works perfectly for this team. This is the only team of the 20 that has a human (well demon) in the logo.

The jerseys are relatively simple and clean. I always liked college jerseys that have the school name split above and below the numbers so that's what you see on the black jersey. You can't really see the sides, but there are downward arrows/chevrons, and on the side of the shorts they frame the triangular part of the logo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 6/20)