NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 32/32 (Toronto/1924 Toronto Granites)

Edubdesign

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok then, a new (old?) jersey for New Jersey it is.

This one's a throwback to the Jersey Devils - not the New Jersey Devils, the 1964 Jersey Devils. They played in the Eastern league decades before the Rockies headed to the Garden State. 

They wore these unis - great look, except for that logo, which... yeesh. To replace that, I've used another logo that they used around the same time, using a J and a D.

3UDiXlzq4xn3F-DUDBLLGKKveH4DRVuu9-V7d0ENfhUF07RcqQ4eM9Dh1W_xgRa-6V1wAqSzMcJ_lrofTZ7ctFGoqvG3qH_tmxwpOg0%253Ds0-d.jpg

The colours are mostly the same, but let's flip red and black and we come up with something properly infernal, something that looks new and cool while still staying firmly in pocket with the Devils' brand.

Xtuf5Ek.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 11/32 (New Jersey Devils/1964 Jersey Devils)

Let's all head to Long Island to make something good for the Islanders.  This time, we're going back to the 1961 season and one of the first teams to set up in the area, the Long Island Ducks.

9OZXEf2.png

And here's the base. Coming up with a logo was a bit tough, since there isn't much of a way to make a cute logo of an island, but hey.

bfbd0e6d14c002388964e60a48b0a393?AccessKeyId=D5F4416ED89E40A808BD&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 12/32 (New York Islanders/1961 Long Island Ducks)
On 10/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, Edubdesign said:

Coming up with a logo was a bit tough, since there isn't much of a way to make a cute logo of an island, but hey.

Could always use Sparky (or Nyisles, if you want to do a deep cut) in place of the duck, if you want a decent way to get around that little problem.

This one's about as easy as it gets. The Rangers get a throwback to 1925 and to New York's original NHL franchise, the New York Americans.

Here's the base.

a55b42fe421db8dac84b91930f8edcb8.jpg

Now obviously, some changes needed to be made - removing the stars, for instance, which hugely clutter up an already cluttered uni, swapping the team name and adding a large team number that can be actually read from a distance. Aside from that though, it's pretty dang similar.

y0kVxLg.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 13/32 (New York Rangers/1925 New York Americans)
  • Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 14/32 (Philadelphia Flyers/1930 Philadelphia Quakers)

A double dose to finish the division. First up are the Pittsburgh Penguins, inspired by the city's first NHL team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and their 1925 look.

Here's what they wore in that season.

2930PiratesJersey.jpg

And here's the new look for the Pens.

qtDerlQ.png

The second design today is for the Washington Capitals. This one throws back to the 1939 Washington Eagles, one of the city's first-ever teams and owners of a metric tonne of arm stripes.

normal.png?1497546143

You can barely see it in that image, but the logo consists of a white circle, the word "WASHINGTON" in arched text inside it, and a side shot of a flying eagle.

Hmm... You thinking what I'm thinking? 

hI8Jt7F.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 16/32 (Pittsburgh Penguins/1925 Pirates, Washington Capitals/1939 Eagles)
6 hours ago, Edubdesign said:

A double dose to finish the division. First up are the Pittsburgh Penguins, inspired by the city's first NHL team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and their 1925 look.

2930PiratesJersey.jpg

qtDerlQ.png

The second design today is for the Washington Capitals. This one throws back to the 1939 Washington Eagles, one of the city's first-ever teams and owners of a metric tonne of arm stripes.

normal.png?1497546143

You can barely see it in that image, but the logo consists of a white circle, the word "WASHINGTON" in arched text inside it, and a side shot of a flying eagle.

hI8Jt7F.png

That Pirates look works really well for the Pens. I'd love to see them do something similar for a future Winter Classic

ZUH86xc.png

On 10/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, Edubdesign said:

This one is pretty basic. Nashville's design goes to 1962 and the Nashville Dixie Flyers.

fuJbOij.png

Eastern Hockey League Team Photos

If you want something less "basic" the Dixie Flyers at one time also used a Pegasus logo on their jerseys.
Hoping there are better images out there, but here is one of a player in the jersey:
http://theehl.blogspot.com/2009/07/wally-sprange-nashville-dixie-flyers.html

http://www.theehl.com/pics/players/SprangeWallyNashvillePegasus300h.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Well it's been a week and I am snowed in - so let's move on to the Pacific Division, shall we?

First up - the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim doesn't have much pre-Ducks hockey history, so let's do a more standard Reverse Retro, tossing it back to their Cup in 2007 with their original colours.

g4HWEr4.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 17/32 (Anaheim Ducks/2007 Anaheim Ducks)

Next team up is the Calgary Flames, which I wanted to throw back to the 1919 Calgary Tigers. Thing is that the Tigers have already thrown back to this once, back when they hosted the Heritage Classic. This is what they wore that game.

calgary-flames_nhl-heritage-classic.jpg?fit=640%2C479&ssl=1

Now, I didn't really like that set. I didn't like the vintage white, especially on the pants. I don't like the red and yellow combo, which makes the Flames look like a team full of Ronald McDonalds. I don't like the small front logo.

That said, there's potential here. Here's a replica of a 1919 Tigers uni.

Calgary Tigers vintage hockey jersey

I think that looks pretty freaking rad.

Here's my concept, based both on the Tigers and what I didn't like from the Flames' unis.

xJ86xG1.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 18/32 (Calgary Flames/1919 Calgary Tigers)

Moving along to the Edmonton Oilers. This one is one of my favourite designs of the bunch.

Today, we're throwing it back to the 1952 Edmonton Mercurys - for 50 years, Canada's last team to win Olympic gold in hockey.

Here's what they wore:

original.png?1394146555

And here is the design for the Oilers:

vnSyLZw.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 19/32 (Edmonton Oilers/1952 Edmonton Mercurys)
On 11/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, Edubdesign said:

Moving along to the Edmonton Oilers. This one is one of my favourite designs of the bunch.

Today, we're throwing it back to the 1952 Edmonton Mercurys - for 50 years, Canada's last team to win Olympic gold in hockey.

Here's what they wore:

original.png?1394146555

And here is the design for the Oilers:

vnSyLZw.png

That's gotta be enough Canadian pride to fill your heart with maple syrup and poutine until it explodes. While listening to "My Heart Will Go On" on a loop. 

On 10/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Edubdesign said:

We're moving on to the Metropolitan Division and running through the teams - here are the Carolina Hurricanes, throwing it back to 1981 and one of North Carolina's first pro hockey teams, the Carolina Thunderbirds.

ewYL6UU.png

And here's the uni they're based on, as modelled by this group of very cool guys, darts and shades and all:

cut.jpg

As a wise man once said, "Shut up and take my money"!

On 10/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, Edubdesign said:

Ok then, a new (old?) jersey for New Jersey it is.

This one's a throwback to the Jersey Devils - not the New Jersey Devils, the 1964 Jersey Devils. They played in the Eastern league decades before the Rockies headed to the Garden State. 

They wore these unis - great look, except for that logo, which... yeesh. To replace that, I've used another logo that they used around the same time, using a J and a D.

3UDiXlzq4xn3F-DUDBLLGKKveH4DRVuu9-V7d0ENfhUF07RcqQ4eM9Dh1W_xgRa-6V1wAqSzMcJ_lrofTZ7ctFGoqvG3qH_tmxwpOg0%253Ds0-d.jpg

The colours are mostly the same, but let's flip red and black and we come up with something properly infernal, something that looks new and cool while still staying firmly in pocket with the Devils' brand.

Xtuf5Ek.png

May be faring well than the actual third jersey the Devils announced. Maybe they could also do the ones Patrick Warburton wore on Seinfeld. 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, Edubdesign said:

This one, like the Rangers' design, makes complete sense. Philadelphia and the Flyers throw it back to the 1930 Philadelphia Quakers, the city's first major pro team.

cER1rw9.png

And of course, here's what it's based off.

Quakers made wrong kind of history in Philadelphia decades before Flyers

On 11/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Edubdesign said:

2930PiratesJersey.jpg

qtDerlQ.png

Kind of surprised these haven't already been done.

normal.png?1497546143

hI8Jt7F.png

Any excise for the Capitals to bring back the eagle is a win in my book. Make it a third jersey. I just need it in my life. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:26 PM, Edubdesign said:

Well it's been a week and I am snowed in - so let's move on to the Pacific Division, shall we?

First up - the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim doesn't have much pre-Ducks hockey history, so let's do a more standard Reverse Retro, tossing it back to their Cup in 2007 with their original colours.

g4HWEr4.png

If Reverse Retro ever comes back, put my money on the Ducks doing this setup. 

Another one.

Here's the LA Kings wayback, this time throwing back to one of the LA area's first big minor league teams - appropriately enough, the LA Monarchs.

The Monarchs wore, appropriately enough, purple and gold uniforms. As much as I wanted to carry that through here (and OH GOD DID I EVER), the Kings are now clearly a black and silver team and it matches better with their existing brand.

The original:

L.A Meekly: A Los Angeles History Podcast — Dec 1948. Bob Hall bolsters up  the defense for...

And here is the new design.

SSCtp4t.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 20/32 (LA Kings/1944 Los Angeles Monarchs)
3 hours ago, Edubdesign said:

Another one.

Here's the LA Kings wayback, this time throwing back to one of the LA area's first big minor league teams - appropriately enough, the LA Monarchs.

The Monarchs wore, appropriately enough, purple and gold uniforms. As much as I wanted to carry that through here (and OH GOD DID I EVER), the Kings are now clearly a black and silver team and it matches better with their existing brand.

The original:

L.A Meekly: A Los Angeles History Podcast — Dec 1948. Bob Hall bolsters up  the defense for...

And here is the new design.

SSCtp4t.png

THIS should be the Kings next Winter Classic

ZUH86xc.png

Archived