NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 32/32 (Toronto/1924 Toronto Granites)

Edubdesign

Moving ahead now to the Seattle Kraken... and really, what else would we throw back to? Of course it's gonna be the 1917 Metropolitans.

Let's take those delicious barberpole stripes from the Metros and bring 'em back after a century on the shelf.

Old uni here: 28seattlenhl7-jumbo.jpg

and now, the new:

cXxed9Y.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 21/32 (Seattle Kraken/1917 Seattle Metropolitans)
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, Edubdesign said:

Another one.

Here's the LA Kings wayback, this time throwing back to one of the LA area's first big minor league teams - appropriately enough, the LA Monarchs.

The Monarchs wore, appropriately enough, purple and gold uniforms. As much as I wanted to carry that through here (and OH GOD DID I EVER), the Kings are now clearly a black and silver team and it matches better with their existing brand.

The original:

L.A Meekly: A Los Angeles History Podcast — Dec 1948. Bob Hall bolsters up  the defense for...

And here is the new design.

SSCtp4t.png

My soul THIRSTS for a purple and gold version of this 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:33 AM, Edubdesign said:

Moving ahead now to the Seattle Kraken... and really, what else would we throw back to? Of course it's gonna be the 1917 Metropolitans.

Let's take those delicious barberpole stripes from the Metros and bring 'em back after a century on the shelf.

Old uni here: 28seattlenhl7-jumbo.jpg

and now, the new:

cXxed9Y.png

If the Kraken don't do something like this, then why did we even give Seattle an NHL team? 

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 22/32 (San Jose Sharks/1974 California Golden Seals)
  • 2 weeks later...

Double post incoming for the Pacific. We start with Vancouver and the Canucks - and a throwback most people don't know about.

You see, before the Canucks were an NHL franchise, they were a minor pro team - and they were a powerhouse, winning the Pacific Coast league championship and, after beating the Boston Olympics in a seven game challenge series, the United States Amateur Hockey championship.

This one honours that 1945-46 team and bridges the gap between two separate generations of Canucks.

normal.jpg?1388124749

2yf05rx.png

Finishing off the Pacific are the Vegas Golden Knights. This one throws back to the first major hockey club to be born in Las Vegas, the Gamblers, who played in the late 1960s. Their unis were pretty much straight rip-offs of the Kings, but with an interesting logo treatment that I absolutely had to steal.

http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2018/05/IMG_3097-1000x750.jpg

kunoixw.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 24/32 (Vancouver/1945 Canucks, Vegas/1969 Las Vegas Gamblers)

Vancouver and Las Vegas look great!

I'd just suggest that you use a different font for Las Vegas and ditch the text's black outline to match the original better; right now the text looks kinda awkward.

The Canucks totally should reference their WHL era more. It's a bummer that they just ignored that for their anniversary count (75 years instead of 50), and that the arched wordmark they removed is the only callback to appear on an NHL-era jersey.

The San Jose one looks great; always nice to see the Seals' bright look get some love and that wordmark adaption is so joyful. No complaints!

All the decisions you made are very understandable, but I'm really having a hard time with the outlining on Seattle. The navy base for the primary logo is enough without the tiny red outline really command attention, I think, and the number outlines are a bit muddy. If you must include red here, you might just go with red names with single navy outlines, and navy numbers with single powder blue outlines.

Your Edmonton jersey is really creative; a brilliant adaption!

I'd ditch the outlines on the logo's text (I know it's maybe less accurate but it'd match the un-outlined orange inner gear.)

I like the carried over scroll nameplate idea... That said, I don't know how you feel about arched nameplates, but I think it's kinda important here.  Either way, I'd definitely shorten it a tad so that the oil drops are half on and half off of the scroll, like the leaves in the original.

Your Calgary concept looks great as-is, but I'm curious if a version with yellow stripes and red logos/numbers with yellow outlines, which might be truer to the original, would still feel Flames-y?

Totally agree with @Francis10 here, even just re-labeling that Thruway logo would be an excellent use of the roundel style of the Ducks, which doesn't quite come through in your otherwise solid logo design (barring the upside-down Islanders text). Your jersey design is excellent, though!

Lots of good work here; I think the NHL could stand to do straight-up throwbacks to these teams too, but I love to see callbacks to historical teams incorporated nicely too!

Another design is here as we start our final division. We're in Beantown today, going back in time with the Bruins to 1939, when the Bruins won their second Stanley Cup with players like Eddie Shore, Frank Brimsek, Cooney Weiland, Dit Clapper and the youngsters who'd form the famous Kraut Line.

1939–40 Boston Bruins season | Boston bruins, Bruins, Ice hockey

Two big changes here - switching the chest logo from the big number to the B and enlarging the shoulder stripes. That's pretty much it. It's a good look - don't change it too much.

hkDLlnc.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 25/32 (Boston Bruins/1939 Bruins)
On 12/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, Edubdesign said:

Up next is San Jose and really, how could I do anything else but throw back to the 1974 California Golden Seals?

ERvHJlbUwAIQWPq.jpg

xmVQn4q.png

Just stumbled across thread. Great job with these. Being from the Bay Area, I was eager to see if you were going it incorporate the Seals. You didn't disappoint. Great job. I've always wanted to see shoulder stripes return to a hockey sweater. 

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 26/32 (Buffalo Sabres/1928 Buffalo Bisons)
On 1/6/2022 at 1:26 PM, Edubdesign said:

Shuffling off to Buffalo to the 1928 Buffalo Bisons and their modern counterparts, the Sabres.

Here's the original.

271eabeeb44a471e142d030080ce9cf6?AccessKeyId=D5F4416ED89E40A808BD&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

And here we go, working from that.

dAba3wl.png

No joke, I could see the Sabers bringing this back and using it next season. 

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 27/32 (Detroit Red Wings/1927 Detroit Cougars)

Your Boston one looks really good; a really nice fauxback and a nice yellow addition to the set! I think adding the black all the way to the cuffs makes sense here, though I'm curious how it looks without it, since you don't have black/white/black anywhere else.  Also, the B feels a bit too close to the shoulder yoke stripe, so I might shift it down a tad.

That design inspiration works really well for the Sabres, and adapts beautiful to the modern colors! The bold, pointy-serifed block font and fish-eye warp give it a sorta '90s vibe, which is totally fine, but I'd also love to see a truer rendition with a thinner, sans-serif block font on a true arc and with a slightly smaller buffalo logo.

Detroit looks great on the front, but the back is a bit busy, so I'd maybe try shifting all the striping down to take up more space behind the numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

Been too long since I've updated this. Here are two - first, the Florida Panthers and a throwback to the 1938 Miami Clippers, one of the very first teams to start up in Florida.

6Mwq4LY.png

EX7VDEkWoAQ8cjC.png

And here's another one, this time for the Habs - paying tribute to their former city rivals, the long-gone Montreal Wanderers.

kwYuE8y.png

Montreal Wanderers – Sports Ecyclopedia

• Edubdesign changed the title to NHL ꓘƆAᗺ IN TIME - 28-29/32 (Florida/1939 Miami Clippers, Montreal/1917 Wanderers)
53 minutes ago, Edubdesign said:

Been too long since I've updated this. Here are two - first, the Florida Panthers and a throwback to the 1938 Miami Clippers, one of the very first teams to start up in Florida.

6Mwq4LY.png

EX7VDEkWoAQ8cjC.png

And here's another one, this time for the Habs - paying tribute to their former city rivals, the long-gone Montreal Wanderers.

kwYuE8y.png

Montreal Wanderers – Sports Ecyclopedia

It'd be interesting to se the Panthers design with a simplified logo to really give it that throwback vibe

ZUH86xc.png

I’d love to see the Habs use a McGill university fauxback, as the school that started it all. I think that kind of heritage works well with the Habs too

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Another double -up as we get toward the end here - Ottawa and Tampa Bay, expansion cousins with very different unis.

Ottawa would, of course, throw back to the original Sens and bring out their barberpole look. It's so good, I love it, and I can't believe they've never done this before.

wJpreZw.png

Remembering the original Ottawa Senators, the NHL's 1st dynasty -  SBNation.com

And the other is Tampa Bay. Tampa doesn't have much of a hockey history pre-Lightning, but does have one unusual thing (and people familiar with my work will know it well... :) )

We're throwing back to Roller Hockey International and its area franchise, the Tampa Bay Tritons.

The Tritons didn't exactly do great in the RHI. They went .500, they didn't sell many tickets and even the star power of being owned by Mark Messier himself didn't help much. That said, it's a part of the city's hockey history that has never been acknowledged or referenced - so why not?

AlxiJCs.png

1993-94 Tampa Bay Tritons RHI Hockey - Trading Card DatabaseTAMPA BAY TRITONS Roller Hockey Intl Youth XL CCM/NWOT $145.00 - PicClick

Archived