College Basketball 2021-22

LMU

I realize I'm likely biased because I'm from the Carolinas (despite having allegiance to neither shade of blue), but I'm already seeing entirely too much anticipatory bickering over UNC-Duke. Y'all are just complaining because you like to complain. Whether you like it or not, this is a big sports story. 

I'm not going to call UNC-Duke the single greatest rivalry in all of college sports, but it's in the top 5. Imagine if any of the following happened:

• Ohio State and Michigan played for the national championship and it was Woody Hayes or Bo Schembechler or Lloyd Carr's last game
  • Auburn and Alabama played for the national championship and it was Bear Bryant or Nick Saban's last game
  • Kentucky and Louisville met in the Final Four and it was potentially Adolph Rupp or Denny Crum's last game

...those would all be a big deal, because the odds of this happening are pretty damn slim. UNC and Duke have never played each other in the NCAA Tournament before, much less the Final Four. UNC was an 8 seed - it's not like this is chalk.

Will there be too much sports media attention focused on this? Yes. Deal with it. Surprise: that's what 24-hour sports networks do. It'll be a mild inconvenience for you to flip the channel or turn the TV off altogether.

• Like 9

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

5 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I realize I'm likely biased because I'm from the Carolinas (despite having allegiance to neither shade of blue), but I'm already seeing entirely too much anticipatory bickering over UNC-Duke. Y'all are just complaining because you like to complain. Whether you like it or not, this is a big sports story. 

I'm not going to call UNC-Duke the single greatest rivalry in all of college sports, but it's in the top 5. Imagine if any of the following happened:

• Ohio State and Michigan played for the national championship and it was Woody Hayes or Bo Schembechler or Lloyd Carr's last game
  • Auburn and Alabama played for the national championship and it was Bear Bryant or Nick Saban's last game
  • Kentucky and Louisville met in the Final Four and it was potentially Adolph Rupp or Denny Crum's last game

...those would all be a big deal, because the odds of this happening are pretty damn slim. UNC and Duke have never played each other in the NCAA Tournament before, much less the Final Four. UNC was an 8 seed - it's not like this is chalk.

Will there be too much sports media attention focused on this? Yes. Deal with it. Surprise: that's what 24-hour sports networks do. It'll be a mild inconvenience for you to flip the channel or turn the TV off altogether.

Could you imagine had Roy Williams decide to stay as UNC coach one more year? 

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

8 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Um, no... While this run is great and all for St. Peter's, the idea that anyone thinks that some other conference is going to snatch them up because of this run is definitely on something that's probably not legal.

There is a good chance that the high from this run doesn't translate into more success. The last two schools to reach the Sweet 16 as a 15 seed were Florida Gulf Coast and Oral Roberts.

Oral Roberts went 18-11 last year in their run to the Sweet 16. This year? 19-12. Not a massive improvement

Florida Gulf Coast went 26-11 in 2013. The following year? 22-13. That's a small drop off.

What's not to say that St. Peter's won't experience that?

George Mason, VCU, Davidson, Butler (for one year anyway), and now Loyola Chicago...the A10's MO as of these last few years has been to add new members in their region fresh off miracle tournament runs.

Florida Gulf Coast and Oral Roberts are not in the A10's region right now (and are stuck where they're at because any bigger conferences in the region are only looking for football schools)...so I think the Peacocks have a chance.

bYhYmxh.png

1 hour ago, Burmy said:

George Mason, VCU, Davidson, Butler (for one year anyway), and now Loyola Chicago...the A10's MO as of these last few years has been to add new members in their region fresh off miracle tournament runs.

Florida Gulf Coast and Oral Roberts are not in the A10's region right now (and are stuck where they're at because any bigger conferences in the region are only looking for football schools)...so I think the Peacocks have a chance.

I still think you're on something that is probably illegal.

Another thing to throw in now is expectations. Thanks to this run, people are going to think that they could repeat this performance. Problem is, they weren't even the best team in the MAAC this season - that was Iona.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Germanshepherd said:

And St. Peter’s coach is gonna get poached plus their already tiny athletic budget is unlikely to get much higher

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/financial-jackpot-cash-strapped-st-peters-peacocks-generating/story?id=83694796

How long until he's announced as the new coach at Seton Hall, his alma mater?

On 3/28/2022 at 12:22 AM, sc49erfan15 said:

Bolded: I mean yes, but UNC is also one of a handful programs who recruit enough talent that being an 8 seed usually just means they underachieved in the regular season, or it took them a while to gel so they lost some weird games early in the season, etc. Those kind of schools can be sleeping giant types if they find their game this time of year. The other 8 seeds were Seton Hall, San Diego State, and Boise State. UNC and those schools are not the same even if they were technically "graded" the same. It's not chalk, but it's also not like a surprising Cinderella Run like Boise State would've been. I'm reminded of that 2014 UK-UConn final when Kentucky was an 8 seed and lost to UConn who was a 7 seed. 

For the rest of this group, you cannot deny that this Final Four is a real who's who of hateable programs. The only way it could've been worse if you swapped Villanova for Kentucky (who hasn't made a Final Four since 2015. LOL, losers). Fitting that in a year when a 15 seed makes it all the way to the Elite 8 the Final Four ends up looking like the most exclusive invitation only event for the hoitiest of toity basketball purebreds. Duke is obviously far and way the worst and the Coach K stuff is what it is, which is why I'm not really keyed in on sports coverage this week, but don't sleep on the despicability of UNC or Kansas either. Villanova, oddly enough, has managed to remain largely unhated despite recent titles in 2016 and 2018. Maybe it's because Jay Wright looks like a stretched out George Clooney? IDK. In any case I hate Duke and Kansas, have no opinion on Villanova, and I actually kind of like UNC, but this tournament was a bit of a snoozer. Outside of St. Peter's nothing cool happened. Bye and I'll see you again for 2 weeks next March, College basketball. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, Sport said:

The other 8 seeds were Seton Hall, San Diego State, and Boise State. UNC and those schools are not the same even if they were technically "graded" the same. It's not chalk, but it's also not like a surprising Cinderella Run like Boise State would've been. I'm reminded of that 2014 UK-UConn final when Kentucky was an 8 seed and lost to UConn who was a 7 seed. 

For the rest of this group, you cannot deny that this Final Four is a real who's who of hateable programs.

Absolutely. It's always much more fun when there's a Loyola-Chicago or Butler in the Final Four - or even a "big school not really known for their basketball program" like Texas Tech or South Carolina. UNC certainly isn't one of those.

I'm a mid/low-major guy. I get why this Final Four isn't the most appealing - my post wasn't about that. It was the premature complaining about hearing about Duke-UNC all week for me - my sports media consumption this week has been mostly normal (PTI, ATH, Kornheiser's podcast, and maybe leaving the evening Sportscenter/SVP on in the background) and it's been far from a profusion of Tar Heels/Blue Devils hype. By the way some people were acting earlier this week, you'd have thought ESPN was changing all their graphics to shades of blue and having the hosts wear either devil or ram horns.

• Like 3

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

UNC and Kansas? Not great, but could've been worst. It would be kinda cool to see a first year coach win a title, but at the same time, maybe Kansas can finally shed the Final Four/Championship choker label.

9 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I don't see any way he stays retired after this. He's 100% pulling a Brady. Just watch, we're in for at least one more nauseating year of the Coach K farewell tour.

His replacement was named and sat on the bench to get ready for next year. If they make him wait another year they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. It sucks going out like that but sometimes you need to just accept it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

His replacement was named and sat on the bench to get ready for next year. If they make him wait another year they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. It sucks going out like that but sometimes you need to just accept it. 

Just ask Pete Gaudet how Coach K treats his assistants when his ego's at stake.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Just ask Pete Gaudet how Coach K treats his assistants when his ego's at stake.

He probably wouldn't lose any recruits, but he wouldn't lose respect amongst his coaches. Also, he lost in the Final Four and not the first round. Trying to better that by coming back one more year won't help his legacy. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png