The Most Boring Team in Pro Sports

DG_ThenNowForever

Today the Atlanta Braves beat the Milwaukee Brewers and are off to a 2-1 lead in the 2021 NLDS.

The Atlanta Braves have made the playoffs 6 out of the last 10 years, including appearing (apparently?) in last year's NLCS. They've made the playoffs in 20 of the last 30 years.

Outside of John Rocker, I can't remember a single Atlanta Braves moment, and that includes their 1995 World Series win. The Atlanta Braves are the most boring team in pro sports.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mariners won 116 games in 2001, only their fourth postseason appearance in team history, failed to make it to the World Series (where they’ve never been, much less won), and have not made the postseason since. The pre and post-Griffey Mariners have been both boring an irrelevant. Do most people even remember they are a team most years?

16 minutes ago, McCall said:

The Mariners won 116 games in 2001, only their fourth postseason appearance in team history, failed to make it to the World Series (where they’ve never been, much less won), and have not made the postseason since. The pre and post-Griffey Mariners have been both boring an irrelevant. Do most people even remember they are a team most years?

8 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

The Sacramento Kings are more irrelevant than The Clippers, what does that tell you? 

I think he’s talking about teams that have actually had success this millennium that still are irrelevant to the general public.

I think everyone can pick their own criteria for boring teams.

I just saw that Atlanta won a playoff game -- again -- and just remarked to myself how a team with such sustained success could be so utterly unremarkable.

The Spurs have Pop. The Kings have hilarious fails. The Mariners had Griffey and Ichiro. The Clippers had Sterling and CP3 and Kawhi. Lots of teams have something...what do the Braves have?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

the Glavine/Maddox/Smoltz era still sets the standard for pitching staffs in my memory. They’ve had that and Aaron and being the de facto 2nd team for all America thanks to TBS and the ridiculous stadium turnover. They haven’t really had a true star since the Joneses but not many baseball teams have.

i think the most boring team is, if I had to write a list of every Big Four team, I’d probably forget about like seven teams and my answer would be one of those.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I can't remember a single Atlanta Braves moment,

I can:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd argue that the Rays are the most boring team in pro sports.  They're really good every year, but have no stars, no 50-HR guy, no 20-win guy, no MVP, nobody cares, they look bland, and nobody cares.

The most memorable on-field person in Rays history is their former manager (Wade Bogs cashing a check doesn't count.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'd argue that the Rays are the most boring team in pro sports.  They're really good every year, but have no stars, no 50-HR guy, no 20-win guy, no MVP, nobody cares, they look bland, and nobody cares.

The most memorable on-field person in Rays history is their former manager (Wade Bogs cashing a check doesn't count.)

I would be tempted to say that but this board's interminable, circular arguments about What To Do With The Rays means I can't forget about them, much as I wish I could. They are more boring now, as maybe the model moneyball team, than they were when they had garish gradients and historically bad rosters.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I see the point being made.  When Atlanta went "worst-to-first" in 1991, they were kind of exciting. Those first couple of years they won crazy-exciting NLCS series (and also lost an incredibly exciting World Series in 1991). It's also when the Tomahawk Chop became famous (I know it started earlier at FSU but it became nationwide news/controversy).  Then they won the World Series...the first one after the cancelled series, though. After that they just kind of stayed successful but could neither sell out their postseason games nor have much playoff success.  They've almost just been "there" but they're too competitive to wear that label.  Then again, I'm a Vikings fan. Minus not selling out playoff games, they kind of are the Vikings. But at least the Vikings are inventive and dramatic in how they end their seasons.  I don't recall Atlanta (well, in baseball) having a lot of memorable hearbreakers; they just show up to the postseason and disappear.

I don't think they are the most boring team...but they might be the most boring team that's consistently competitive.

I think they're much like the Rays but they've been doing it longer.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I just saw that Atlanta won a playoff game -- again -- and just remarked to myself how a team with such sustained success could be so utterly unremarkable.

Lots of teams have something...what do the Braves have?

I think most of Atlanta shares your opinion of the Braves.

I feel like there have been a lot of memorable Braves moments, but they've been on the wrong end of most of them. Blue Jays repeating, Yankees winning their first since the '70s, Randy Johnson's perfect game, the Cubs winning their first postseason series since 1908, the infield fly call against St. Louis, to name a few.

EDIT: Jays winning their first, I always flip them in my head

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived