Infrared41's Best And Worst Presented by BBTV - 2021 Week 5

BBTV

Picking this back up from 2019, and hopefully continuing through the year end.  For reference, here's one of the original @infrared41 threads:  

Before we start: This thread is for the best and worst uniform matchups for any particular week.  These are simply my opinions, you're welcome (and encouraged!) to disagree. 

• Usually, the color matchup is the biggest factor.  While I like both the Raiders and Panthers uniforms, Raiders in standard road vs Carolina in standard home probably isn't going to win just due to similarity.  Same with Seahawks in mono-navy against Patriots in their standard road.  
  • I'm neither a modernist nor traditionalist.  I think that things that look good to me look good, and things that look bad look bad.  There's modern uniforms I love, and some that I hate.  A uniform design could ruin even a spectacular color matchup - or maybe it won't.  It's unlikely that the Titans or Cardinals will ever show up on the 'best' list, regardless of matchup.  But maybe they will.  I also don't automatically penalize teams for wearing monochrome - It's likely that the mono-navy Seahawks will find their way to the best list on occasion, however the Chiefs in all red won't.
  • Lighting and weather play a role too.  Some matchups just look better in bright natural light, some look great in snow, and even the best one might look crappy in a dome under 5,000 kelvin light.
  • Going to try and do 3+2 (three best, 2 worst) but in reality, I'll just do whatever I want.  Also, I rarely watch games that aren't the Eagles, so I'm going mostly by watching highlights or google searching for images of the games.

With that out of the way, let's go!!!

BEST

1. Browns at Chargers
Would have been better had Cleveland been in orange pants and gray (or white) facemasks, but the colors in this matchup just look great.  Orange and brown both look good against the powder blue, and I like the seeing yellow vs orange.  Both teams have great uniforms, even though I'd prefer Cleveland in other pants.  

FBXiXZBaAAA43Yj?format=jpg&name=large

2.  Giants at Cowboys

I really don't like either of these uniforms.  The Cowboys mismatch hurts my eyes, and NYG's roads are much more interesting than their homes.  HOWEVER, this is an example of the total being more than the sum of the parts.  This is just a great old-school matchup.  I think the white pants really help the Giants here.
ledrwlzeysohnxcy94et.jpg

3.  Packers at Bengals

More orange and yellow!  This would never have made it last year with the Bengals wearing their old costumes, but this is much more palatable.  Would have been better if the Bengals had better pants, but still very visually stimulating.

x5r2s0zowoxbylaiywsl.jpg

WORST

There's a LOT to choose from this week.  There were some horrific matchups.

1.  Falcons vs Jets in London

It's HARD to beat the next two on this list, but this doozy did it for me.  The Falcons look like complete clowns in the gradients and solid black socks (let alone the ridiculous number font) and while I wouldn't call the Jets set bad, it's spikes and oversized wordmark just combined with the Falcons to make this truly horrible.

usa_today_16929156.0.jpg

2.  Titans at Jaguars

Like I mentioned earlier, any matchup featuring the Titans is already trending towards the "worst" list, but when you put the Jaguars in the absolute worst of all of their combos?  It's a lock baby.  Two sets of clown suits right here.

USATSI_16931473.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

3.  Rams at Seahawks

I actually like the Seahawks neon set.  I love just about everything about the Seahawks look.  Had the Rams worn their new white tops, this one probably would have been OK to me.  Or if they wore mono white.  Butttttttttt they wore the dirty-ass bone uniforms, and the dullness / dinginess of those sets just contrasts against the bright neon of the Seahawks in the worst way.

rsg1vvtd7jnqymbnlog9.jpg

Go!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Without even looking, I can say with confidence that no other matchup should be considered for your bottom three.  Those are three really ugly games.

Your top three are probably correct, too (in some order). Maybe a bit of consideration for Lions at Vikings or Bills at Chiefs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

. Maybe a bit of consideration for Lions at Vikings or Bills at Chiefs.

If the Chiefs wore white pants, that one probably would have made it - at least as an honorable mention.  TBH, I only saw a few photos of the Lions/Vikings game so it may not have gotten a fair shot, but now that I've looked more, it probably deserved an honorable mention, and in some weeks (with these particular combos) would have cracked the best list.  It's a shame we don't get these colors under natural light.  I also don't particularly care for either team's fonts, or Detroit's sleeves and pants stripes, but the colors alone can overcome that in this case.

detroit-Lions-101021.jpg?strip=1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

52 minutes ago, BBTV said:

If the Chiefs wore white pants, that one probably would have made it - at least as an honorable mention.  TBH, I only saw a few photos of the Lions/Vikings game so it may not have gotten a fair shot, but now that I've looked more, it probably deserved an honorable mention, and in some weeks (with these particular combos) would have cracked the best list.  It's a shame we don't get these colors under natural light.  I also don't particularly care for either team's fonts, or Detroit's sleeves and pants stripes, but the colors alone can overcome that in this case.

I forgot about KC going red-on-red.  That's probably bumping their game out more often than not.

And I'm with you on both the Vikes and Lions. Great colors but too many little things bring both down. (Of course, I feel that way about the Chargers helmet numbers...)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I mostly agree with your list, but a couple notes. 

First, I would have had Bears at Raiders where Giants at Cowboys was on your list. It's such a classic look, and a rare matchup at that.

Raiders lose second straight; fall to Bears 20-9 | KLAS

Secondly, I would like to suggest an additional category for the honorable mentions. This one would be Most Interesting Uniform of the Week. I suggest this because I think Colts at Ravens on Monday Night Football was a nontraditional matchup that, while imperfect, made for a visually compelling game. 

Indianapolis Colts vs. Baltimore Ravens | Week 5 | Crunching Numbers -  Sports Illustrated Indianapolis Colts News, Analysis and More

Looking forward to these lists being back every week! 

22 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I mostly agree with your list, but a couple notes. 

First, I would have had Bears at Raiders where Giants at Cowboys was on your list. It's such a classic look, and a rare matchup at that.

Raiders lose second straight; fall to Bears 20-9 | KLAS

Secondly, I would like to suggest an additional category for the honorable mentions. This one would be Most Interesting Uniform of the Week. I suggest this because I think Colts at Ravens on Monday Night Football was a nontraditional matchup that, while imperfect, made for a visually compelling game. 

Indianapolis Colts vs. Baltimore Ravens | Week 5 | Crunching Numbers -  Sports Illustrated Indianapolis Colts News, Analysis and More

Looking forward to these lists being back every week! 

The raiders bears matchup suffers from too many dark colors, and not enough contrast. The colts bring their matchup down using all white socks with an all white uniform, honorable mention is the best that matchup can hope for with the ravens having a unique look.

Looking at pictures of the Bears-Raiders and Falcons-Jets games, I've realized that I value traditional aesthetics in football even more than in baseball. You have so few games to get it right, and as cool as the continuity among past and present Braves, Yankees, and Tigers is, there's something extra-special about the timelessness of the Bears and Raiders. It's probably because of NFL Films.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

It really could have been, but...

9 hours ago, dont care said:

The raiders bears matchup suffers from too many dark colors, and not enough contrast.

Which was ultimately why I left it off.  In hindsight, a big reason I put Cowboys/Giants match on the list was the specific photo I found.  It's just a perfect photo, with the light hitting them just the right way and just enough contrast.  Having seen more photos of that game, it probably wasn't that special, but dat photo doe.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

, there's something extra-special about the timelessness of the Bears and Raiders. It's probably because of NFL Films.

I just can't think of any previous Raiders v Bears matchups.  Since realignment, they obviously play every 4 years, but have been mostly afterthoughts in that time frame.  If anything it was a little jarring to see them clashing, and despite each having great uniforms on their own, something looked "off" to me, and it just didn't make it.  But it could have.

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

There usually will be honorable mentions, or maybe more than 3 best.  Like I said in the OP, I'm just going to do whatever I feel like that day, consistency be damned.

HOWEVAH, that matchup wouldn't have made it.  Had the Ravens been in purple over white, or purple over black, then maybe.  But I'm not a fan of their black tops in any situation, and having a uniform so dark against one that's all white from head to toe is just too much contrast.  From a distance it looks like black vs white.  That one wouldn't get an honorable mention in my book.  But if it does in yours?  Cool!

14 hours ago, infrared41 said:

it's really weird watching someone else do my bit. 🙃

Hey, I have an iron-clad licensing agreement (which reminds me, I think I need to send you $1 every year by week 4, but since this started on week 5, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. )  I'm sure one of the  12 is a lawyer and can work that out.  

I’m curious as to where you’d place the Saints-Washington game. Personally, it’s one of the worst of the week. There’s so much white and not enough color. Particularly on New Orleans’ part. The plain white pants suck the life out of the uniform. They really should’ve went with their gold pants or the color rush. The latter being all white sure, but at least there’s something vibrant about the look. At least Washington is still a traditional team and players don’t ever don the leotard look.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I’m curious as to where you’d place the Saints-Washington game. Personally, it’s one of the worst of the week. There’s so much white and not enough color. Particularly on New Orleans’ part. The plain white pants suck the life out of the uniform. They really should’ve went with their gold pants or the color rush. The latter being all white sure, but at least there’s something vibrant about the look. At least Washington is still a traditional team and players don’t ever don the leotard look.

spacer.png

yeah it was definitely in the bottom half, just not in the same class (or ass) as the others. NO in solid white pants is really a bland look for a team that has a great usual look with their gold, and while Washington looks nice from the neck down, their helmet just doesn’t look like it goes with it and brings it down. I’d say a boring and bland matchup more than bad or ugly one. 

still, had NO been in gold bottoms, this would have been in at least the top half just based on the colors. 

That Ravens photo makes me immediately like those purple pants.  I've never liked the Ravens identity and I never will. But there's something about those pants (in a vacuum; the black jersey's not the best match). Is the shade different than the purple they've usually used? Is it just the the way it plays off how it happens to balance with less interaction with black? Or the material of the pants? Or am I nuts...but it just looks very vivid.

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

That Ravens photo makes me immediately like those purple pants.  I've never liked the Ravens identity and I never will. But there's something about those pants (in a vacuum; the black jersey's not the best match). Is the shade different than the purple they've usually used? Is it just the the way it plays off how it happens to balance with less interaction with black? Or the material of the pants? Or am I nuts...but it just looks very vivid.

I'm not sure of the answer to this. They are pretty much a perfect match with the jersey.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

My take:

Best:

1. Packers - Bengals: This is the first time the Bengals have ever made the top spot of my best list

2. Browns - Chargers: If the Browns had gone with orange pants or all white, this one is #1

3. Eagles - Panthers: Eagles in all white is a nice contrast to the Panthers black over silver.

4. Lions - Vikings: Very solid match up.

5. Giants - Cowboys: Two classic looks

HM: Bears - Raiders: This one needed more contrast. Put the Bears in all white and this game looks a lot better

Worst:

1. Falcons - Jets:  The Falcons gradient is the worst uniform in NFL history. The Jets look is boring. What a disaster.

2. Titans - Jags: The "we got our uniforms right on the first try, but let's really :censored: them up because we're idiots" bowl.

3. Rams - Seahawks: I can take a little neon green. I can't take watching 11 Hi- Liters. The Rams need to find a laundromat for those bone jerseys, put them in a washer, and leave them there.

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Really hoping they pull out this look against the Chargers. Who in return should go with this-

I'm a big fan of the purple jersey over black pants look for them.  That would look good against the Chargers.  Even purple over white.  Just not full purple or black top.

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

3. Eagles - Panthers: Eagles in all white is a nice contrast to the Panthers black over silver.

I couldn't go there for a few reasons.  Number one, now that the Panthers have the matte pants, they clash too much with their bedazzled helmet, and in some light, even look like champagne gold (the Eagles PBP announcer, who is aging (he's been the PBP guy since '77) actually referred to them as gold pants a couple of times, and I can sorta get it.)  Number two, while I like thte Eagles white on white, I don't care for it with solid white socks, and I think the green pants would have added some needed color to the matchup, since their helmets are pretty dark.

I’m really glad to see these lists back again. I’ll be following along every week, for sure.

Overall, I like your list, @BBTV. I probably wouldn’t have Giants-Cowboys on my personal list, as the mismatching blues drag of the Cowboys drag them down way too much for me. The Giants white pants do work well against teams like Dallas that have a lot of silver, though. I also agree with @OnWis97 that Lions-Vikings could have made it on there, the colors always play off of each other really nice (as any NFC North matchup does).

My hot take of the day: I truly don’t mind the Falcons gradient jersey that much, I still think it’s an improvement over their previous set. The Jets new set isn’t bad either. The green & white of the Jets played well off of the Falcons’ red & black, in my opinion. The other two “worst” matchups were definitely atrocious, though.

My personal list probably would be:

BEST

1. Browns at Chargers

2. Lions at Vikings

3. Packers at Bengals

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1. Colts at Ravens

2. Bears at Raiders

3. Bills at Chiefs

4. Jets vs Falcons in London

WORST

1. Rams at Seahawks

2. Titans at Jaguars

I’m looking forward to coming back to see next week’s list!

While the Browns-Chargers game looked good, it would've been a clear #1 only if the Browns went with orange pants. The brown pants work well enough and might be preferable for some matchups (like the Chiefs where the orange and red can be messy), but this game was a big missed opportunity in my book.

I'd probably but Bengals-Packers at #1, because it's a new matchup between a solid modern simplification and an all-time classic.

Archived