CFB150 Redux - Independents

colinturner95

Little bit of a break never killed anyone, but I'm back now with the first half of the C-USA (soon to be former C-USA) 

UsZ934X.png

M3xD4sL.png aEW5SCO.pngT98dsCO.png VpNw4xk.png

PCkkM8u.png UZVAmIU.png Ht11oZv.png

Louisiana Tech - 1972 College Division National Champs - While not a tremendous departure, the Bulldogs celebrate their heights of teams' past.

North Texas - 1967 Missouri Valley Champs - The success of the Mean Green in 67, combined with UNT has already wearing the 68 Joe Greene throwbacks made these the obvious choice.

Rice - 1953 SWC Champs/Cotton Bowl Champs - Wouldn't you know it that the Rice Owls were once one of the best teams in college football? the 1953 Throwbacks will remind you

Southern Miss - 1958 College Division National Champs - The Golden years (pun completely intended) began in the late 50's for Southern Miss, culminating in a pair of championships.

UAB - Inaugural Teams - It's taken some time for UAB to get their footing, but these uniforms celebrate the earliest teams at Birmingham

UTEP - 1956 Border Conf Champions - Texas Western might have been upset in that year's Sun Bowl, but 5-0 and a conference championship is nothing to be ashamed of.

UTSA - Fauxback - UTSA's uniforms are just now starting to get some dynamism, and their inaugural unforms were boring as hell. So instead they get to be the first team that goes down the true fauxback route, with some navy uniforms reminiscent of the late 60's Denver Broncos uniforms, along with a 70's style logo on the side of the helmets. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - C-USA West
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After quite an exciting weekend of college football, the second half of the C-USA is upon us: 

mYf6AG1.png tPxkwSn.png MCm04Vi.pngj2UF36C.png

y1h6JZi.png Rb4Kwcx.png TEaFzRK.png

Charlotte - 1946 -1948 CCUNC Teams - With little history of their own, we dive into UNCC's own history, as the Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina, where the 49ers began their athletic history as the Owls, because the Center operated at night. The Owls' football history lasted just two seasons but gets a new lease on life here. 

FAU - 2001 Team - The inaugural team for FAU takes the field again, with the basic logos before the Owls began to really take shape.

FIU - 2002 Team - Much like FAU, the Panthers go back to day 1, with a very classic look compared to their current look.

Marshall - 1996 I-AA Champs - Despite a deep history, I chose to honor the 96 what is now FCS champions, complete with Randy Moss' Cat in The Hat socks for everyone.

MTSU - 1965 OVC Champions - Undefeated in conference and all season, but somehow excluded from a bowl game that season. 

Old Dominion - Norfolk Division Braves, William & Mary 1930-1941 - Very similar to Charlotte, Old Dominion goes back to a time long ago and college names past. but without clear historical sources, I basically Reverse Retro'd the uniforms of the Braves into the current ODU colors.

WKU - 2002 I-AA Champions - Much like Marshall, I chose the 2002 team, which after some more research, these could also be uniforms to honor Jack Harbaugh who did help to save Hilltopper football and in his final game, delivered a championship to Bowling Green, Kentucky. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - C-USA East
20 hours ago, Dion Jones Jr. said:

These look really great, but It shows Rice's old logo instead of FIU'S.

Whoops. My bad. That's been fixed. 

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Seeing that Western Kentucky uniform, I forgot how much better they looked back then. 

And I personally think they should pick between grey or black but yes, at least they looked cohesive back then

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 11/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, colinturner95 said:

KhnnnXk.png

Texas Christian - 1935 National Champions - Slingin' Sammy Baugh lives on, with the Horned Frogs wearing throwbacks to those days of "fighting till hell freezes"

Only thing I want to mention about this one: 

TCU had black helmets around that time

d9df54835b1ff1638d3d30201fb53997--heisma

Other than that, great job.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

2 hours ago, 29texan said:

Only thing I want to mention about this one: 

TCU had black helmets around that time

d9df54835b1ff1638d3d30201fb53997--heisma

Other than that, great job.

I don't know why I struggled to find that. Everything I found from that era was in black and white was by my estimation, inconclusive at best. Thank you for finding that

AmPJ0Ty.png 

As a college football fan, I'm LOVING this series. Although, I find it kind of funny how some throwbacks aren't that much of a departure from their current ones. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, colinturner95 said:

The first half of the AAC is here (2020 alignments in case anyone was wondering, so UConn is independent) 

JEbEZWh.png l74tsre.png REmIBq2.png

PkUOQZF.png KVJuJZJ.png xEBnF2l.png

Cincinnati - 1964 MVC Champs - Not a tremendous departure from their actual 150 throwback, just a couple years later. These honor the team that won the MVC title in 1964.

East Carolina - 1992 Peach Bowl Champs - Possibly still the biggest win in ECU history, a 37-34 victory over the NC State Wolfpack

Houston - 1979 SWC Champs - The Southwest Conference getting some love again, honoring the 1979 Cougars that went 11-1, with a Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska

Memphis - 1963 Undefeated Team - Not often an unbeaten gets left out of the post season, but such was the luck for Memphis (State) in 1963

Navy - Roger Staubach/1963 Team - A little bit of both Roger Staubach (probably the best known athlete to come out of Navy) and the '63 team that completed the Drive for 5 over Army.

South Florida - 2007 vs WVU - A young team celebrates one of its biggest victories in one of college football's weirdest seasons. 

C&C welcome!

In regards to Navy, are the Midshipmen going to have some special uniforms for the Army game? They do that IRL and people really look forward to them. 

On 11/27/2021 at 3:08 AM, loneranger158 said:

Big thumbs up as a UTSA alum on their design 👍

This season must be Cloud 9 for you. 

21 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I don't know why I struggled to find that. Everything I found from that era was in black and white was by my estimation, inconclusive at best. Thank you for finding that

Yeah, I use the SWC Helmet History site to remind some TCU fans that we HAVE used black in our uniforms as far back as the 1930s, so it's not a "BFBS" situation. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 11/24/2021 at 1:28 PM, colinturner95 said:

North Texas - 1967 Missouri Valley Champs - The success of the Mean Green in 67, combined with UNT has already wearing the 68 Joe Greene throwbacks made these the obvious choice.

Hey! SO I can't actually tell you when that photo is taken, my assumption is that it was some time in the early 60's, but here is a photo from the 1967 football season
jL7p6yA.png

As you can see, those are the actual throwback uniforms for the year, as the 1968 team wore green helmets:
Ew868zn.png

Instead of using those earlier uniforms, UNT has been wearing some Hayden Fry uniforms as of recent, maybe something along the lines of this might be a better option (sorry the shot sucks, it's coaches film and I can't find any good color photos in the school's library:
Coaches' Film: North Texas State University vs. West Texas A&M, 1975] - The  Portal to Texas HistoryYmvi8Bj.png

Maybe a throwback to the 1995 team and the "schedule from hell" might be fun, or the '01-'04 Sun Belt Champions if you wanna get spicy.

December18, 2001: University of North Texas Mean Green Football vs Colorado  State Rams | RICK YEATTS PHOTOGRAPHY AERIAL VIDEO PRODUCTIONSUniversity of North Texas - North Texan: UNT at 20

I just figured that the Odus Mitchell/Joe Greene era had been touched on by the school, as has the hayden fry era, so maybe something of a recent throwback would be in order? Anyways, love the series, can't wait for what's coming!

• 2 weeks later...

After some delay, I have returned with the first half of the MAC. Gonna go with the Manifest Destiny approach with this one and go East to West this go round: 

ps0e0AS.png FurEnpi.pngGowAo0m.png

BQB25FB.pngm8SbTwx.png4igrmUh.png

Akron - 1976 DII Runner-Ups: The Zips take the field in uniforms that honor the team that made it to the final game of the year, but couldn't finish the job.

Bowling Green - 1959 UPI Small College Champs - Bowling Green has won a national championship, even if it was at the equivalent of a junior college national championship (at least to my understanding), plus they capped off an unbeaten and untied season and captured the MAC title as well.

Buffalo - Fauxback - with the majority of the Bulls success having come in the modern years, a fauxback felt more appropriate than a throwback to 2013. Blue shell, with a vintage UB monogram on the sides. Blue jerseys with a multitude of stripes on the caps, honoring the earliest days of the team. Simpler double stripes on the pants, multistriped socks and black cleats. 

Kent State - 1972 MAC Champs - The roster and staff for the 1972 Golden Flashes had some big names associated with it. Don James, later known as the Dawgfather if you're a Washington Huskies fan. Nick Saban, if you're a fan of the Galactic Empire. Jack Lambert, if you're a Steelers fan and a fan of hard hitting defense and Gary Pinkel if you're a Mizzou fan. 

Miami OH - The Cradle of Coaches - If you want to get your start in coaching, get hired at Miami of Ohio. Names like Paul Brown, Ara Parseghian, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler and into the modern era of coaches like Sean Payton, Jim Tressel, John Harbaugh and Sean McVay can all attest to having started at the Cradle of Coaches. This uniform celebrates the different eras of the legendary coaches: The northwestern stripes, Woody Hayes, 1950. The Helmet stripe, Ara Parseghian, 1954.  The Helmet Numbers, Bo Schembechler, 1965 and the Pants, Socks and Shoes, Dick Crum, 1975

Ohio - 1960 College Division Champs - The Bobcats have gone down this road recently, but this take is a bit more historically accurate than the one we got.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any information on why we keep seeing mismatched gold helmets? We've seen it now with Baylor, Akron and Kent State and I was curious if anyone knows more about it

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - MAC East

Our MACtion concludes in the western half of the conference:

2FGgQlM.pngMv3exXy.pngcHPatka.png

BuIgBhJ.pnggruqOzR.pngspZHJV1.png

Ball State - 1978 MAC Champs - The Cardinals go back to their 10-1 season of 1978 for our endeavor here, including borrowing the then Phoenix Cardinals logo.

Central Michigan - 1974 DII Champs - The Division II champs run again, celebrating a team that dominated their way to the national title.

Eastern Michigan - 1987 Season - I chose 1987 for EMU as it was their first and only MAC championship season as well as their only bowl winning season, plus information on anything earlier in their history was difficult to come by from a visual perspective. Only difference between these and the 1987 uniforms, is the Huron logo does not return to the helmet.

NIU - 1963 AP Small College Champs - NIU has been down this road before, but celebrated 1965, for the history of their stadium. I went with 1963 as NIU won the AP Small College Championship that season. Differences between these and the 65 throwbacks was that, by my estimations was the jersey was black as opposed to red.

Toledo - 1969-1970 MAC Champs - Toledo celebrates the 1969 and 1970 seasons for the teams that combined for a 35-0 record across the two mentioned seasons.

WMU - 1966 MAC Champs - The Broncos celebrate their second conference championship in team history, going all the way back to 1966.

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - MAC West
  • 4 weeks later...

Pk1YFkX.pngL1sac0b.pnggezPWhT.png

ctQVxKt.pngGdR2Fdr.pngdcIsEkx.png

Air Force - 1985 Season - A season that came so close to perfection if not for a loss to BYU. Still, a win in the Bluebonnet Bowl and a final #5 ranking still is nothing to be sad about.

Boise State - 1980 FCS Champions - I was close to going back to the first Fiesta Bowl uniforms, but I felt that the 1980 team deserved the glory in this throwback series.

Colorado State - 1948 Team - I struggled with Colorado State. There wasn't a tremendous amount in their history to throwback to, so I went to their first bowl appearance, albeit a loss in the Raisin Bowl. Also given that they were the Colorado A&M Aggies at the time, I went with the green and orange color scheme.

New Mexico - 1962-64 WAC Champion Teams - There was a time when the WAC was dominated by the Lobos and these uniforms celebrate those teams.

Utah State - 1960-1961 Skyline Champions - Anchored by the Olsen Brothers, the Aggies dominated the Skyline Conference for two seasons.

Wyoming - 1966 WAC Champs - The WAC champs of 1966 and Sun Bowl champions of the same season ride on once again.

I'll try not to be such a stranger moving forward. Life has just been a beach as of late. C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - Mountain West - Mountain Division
On 10/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, colinturner95 said:

The first half of the AAC is here (2020 alignments in case anyone was wondering, so UConn is independent) 

JEbEZWh.png l74tsre.png REmIBq2.png

PkUOQZF.png KVJuJZJ.png xEBnF2l.png

Cincinnati - 1964 MVC Champs - Not a tremendous departure from their actual 150 throwback, just a couple years later. These honor the team that won the MVC title in 1964.

East Carolina - 1992 Peach Bowl Champs - Possibly still the biggest win in ECU history, a 37-34 victory over the NC State Wolfpack

Houston - 1979 SWC Champs - The Southwest Conference getting some love again, honoring the 1979 Cougars that went 11-1, with a Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska

Memphis - 1963 Undefeated Team - Not often an unbeaten gets left out of the post season, but such was the luck for Memphis (State) in 1963

Navy - Roger Staubach/1963 Team - A little bit of both Roger Staubach (probably the best known athlete to come out of Navy) and the '63 team that completed the Drive for 5 over Army.

South Florida - 2007 vs WVU - A young team celebrates one of its biggest victories in one of college football's weirdest seasons. 

C&C welcome!

Neat. As for the Midshipmen, seeing as this is special uniforms, have you ever considered giving Navy a special uniform for the Army/Navy game? 

56r6fyU.pngs2mwtlJ.pngiDKkywk.png

dp2oOFM.png06WCGxb.pngSumjCby.png

Fresno State - 1961 CCAA Champions - Nothing too wild, throwing back to the 7th conf. champ team in 8 years for the Bulldogs in those days.

Hawaii - Rainbow Warriors - I had a plan to go for a 50's bowl game throwback for the Bows, but little to no photographic evidence could be found, so I went with the ever popular rainbow throwback uniforms.

Nevada, Las Vegas - Randall Cunningham - The original plan was honoring the whole 1984 team. Then I read about the violations that led them to forfeit the entire season retroactively. So instead we honor UNLV's best player of all time, Randall Cunningham.

Nevada, Reno - Frank Hawkins - This was a case of "love the uniforms, justify them" and thus we honor Frank "The Hawk" Hawkins, the 4th all time career NCAA rusher.

SDSU - 1966 Small College Champs - it was here where Air Coryell got its start, where his prolific passing offense would lead the Aztecs to a UPI Small College National Championship.

SJSU - 1939 CCAA Champions - If you can believe it, San Jose State was once a college football powerhouse. 12 consecutive winning seasons, 8 conference championships in 18 seasons. That past success is honored here, with ~1939/1940 era uniforms being worn.

10 hours ago, CFBJunkie said:

Neat. As for the Midshipmen, seeing as this is special uniforms, have you ever considered giving Navy a special uniform for the Army/Navy game? 

Not really sure what you're asking for here. The crux of this series was each team getting a throwback to celebrate 150 years of college football. That's it. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - Mountain West - West Division
20 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Not really sure what you're asking for here. The crux of this series was each team getting a throwback to celebrate 150 years of college football. That's it. 

I get that. Mostly it's how in the Army/Navy game, both sides bring a special jersey for that game in addition to their regular output. Will Army and Navy have something special for their season finale in addition to what you're displaying here? 

12 minutes ago, CFBJunkie said:

I get that. Mostly it's how in the Army/Navy game, both sides bring a special jersey for that game in addition to their regular output. Will Army and Navy have something special for their season finale in addition to what you're displaying here? 

No. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived