CFB150 Redux - Independents

colinturner95

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8vjwxl7.pngiv8BYUs.png

mn8rUy6.pngrEylqK0.png

Ts5p6Dr.pngZgilvWw.png

California - 1937 National Champions - The nation's leading defense led the Golden Bears to the national championship in 1937. These Golden Bears return to the field with a more muted gold, representative of the uniforms of the era.

Oregon - Fauxback - 

On 1/12/2022 at 2:20 PM, chicagolonghorn said:

This series is great! Interested to see what you do w/ Oregon-whether you pick a certain era or a blend all their uniform eras into one set. 

I didn't think that I would end up going down the fauxback route but with Oregon's success having come mostly in the late 20th/early 21st century, it seemed the right thing to do. The color combo is representative of the late '50s-mid '80s period of Oregon football, where things weren't particularly good. The helmet itself comes from the 63 team. The jersey has smaller stripes on the jersey serve two purposes, one to honor the early Webfoots teams and also acknowledge the aforementioned success of the Ducks teams in the 21st century, by being colored in the darker green of the Nike takeover. Pants mirror the helmet. 

Oregon State - Giant Killers - "In a four-week period, the Beavers became the only team to ever go undefeated against three top two teams in one season since the inception of the AP Poll, earning the nickname "Giant Killers." - Nuff Said.

Stanford - 1940 National Champions - Surprisingly enough, Stanford hasn't always rocked the white bucket. In 1940, the Indians at the time did, and ran with the red leather helmets all the way to that seasons National title.

Washington - 1960 National Champions - It wasn't the Dawgfather leading the charge but coach Jim Owens took the Huskies all the way to the top in 1960.

Washington State - 1915 Rose Bowl Champions - The first and only run for the Roses for the Cougs, mixed with a little modernity. The 1915 sweaters had a big block W on the chest with some arm stripes. One of those things would work and one wouldn't, given the current logo of their in-state rival. So this uniform is all grey, save for the scarlet faux-leather helmet. small stripes on the sleeves, with red elements found throughout.

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - PAC 12 - North

gksD4fq.pngkM4hyQl.png

BJUbbyf.pngfVw2DhU.png

0D2oBzi.pngaBdD0Cp.png

Arizona - 1982 Win over ASU - The 1982 season wasn't incredibly memorable for the Wildcats. But beating your most bitter rival, knocking them out of Rose Bowl contention, and ushering in a period of 15 wins over your rival in a 20 year period would be cause for celebration. 

Arizona State - 1975 Season and Fiesta Bowl - In a decade in which ASU won 7/10 WAC Championships and won 5/6 Fiesta Bowls they attended, we focus on the best team of the bunch. The 1975 team which won all of its games, including an 11-point fourth quarter to upend Nebraska and finish second in the country.

Colorado - 1956 Orange Bowl Champions - A throwback to 1990, while an easy choice, didn't feel different enough to warrant a throwing back to. So we instead celebrate the team that took their talents to the Miami area and beat Clemson for their first bowl win ever.

UCLA - 1954 National Champions - The only championship the Sons of Westwood have brought home came in 1954 and wouldn't you believe it, that the uniforms then bear a passing resemblance to the current look. But how beautiful are those Clarendon numbers?

USC - 1972 National Champions - I might take some heat for this, but I think this is the superior USC look as opposed to their current uniforms. Of course USC thought they were superior to everyone in 1972, and the consensus agreed with them.

Utah - 1951-1953 Skyline Conf Champions - For 3 seasons, Utah was the king of the mountain. Literally. They were 3 time reigning Mountain States Conference champions, though Skyline was less of a mouthful. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - PAC 12 - South
On 1/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, colinturner95 said:

8vjwxl7.pngiv8BYUs.png

mn8rUy6.pngrEylqK0.png

Ts5p6Dr.pngZgilvWw.png

California - 1937 National Champions - The nation's leading defense led the Golden Bears to the national championship in 1937. These Golden Bears return to the field with a more muted gold, representative of the uniforms of the era.

Oregon - Fauxback - 

I didn't think that I would end up going down the fauxback route but with Oregon's success having come mostly in the late 20th/early 21st century, it seemed the right thing to do. The color combo is representative of the late '50s-mid '80s period of Oregon football, where things weren't particularly good. The helmet itself comes from the 63 team. The jersey has smaller stripes on the jersey serve two purposes, one to honor the early Webfoots teams and also acknowledge the aforementioned success of the Ducks teams in the 21st century, by being colored in the darker green of the Nike takeover. Pants mirror the helmet. 

Oregon State - Giant Killers - "In a four-week period, the Beavers became the only team to ever go undefeated against three top two teams in one season since the inception of the AP Poll, earning the nickname "Giant Killers." - Nuff Said.

Stanford - 1940 National Champions - Surprisingly enough, Stanford hasn't always rocked the white bucket. In 1940, the Indians at the time did, and ran with the red leather helmets all the way to that seasons National title.

Washington - 1960 National Champions - It wasn't the Dawgfather leading the charge but coach Jim Owens took the Huskies all the way to the top in 1960.

Washington State - 1915 Rose Bowl Champions - The first and only run for the Roses for the Cougs, mixed with a little modernity. The 1915 sweaters had a big block W on the chest with some arm stripes. One of those things would work and one wouldn't, given the current logo of their in-state rival. So this uniform is all grey, save for the scarlet faux-leather helmet. small stripes on the sleeves, with red elements found throughout.

C&C welcome!

Again...great work...and I've only looked at the Pac 12 (with a great conference logo update).

One suggestion - use the serifed numbers for Stanford, and use regular block for WSU. The serifs just seem to work better with that vintage serifed-S logo. 

Another tiny thing - maybe put a white outline on the Cougs' numbers. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

OBAwIBD.png9VqS6vC.pngGWYZh8O.png

08i165k.pngjOcHA0b.pngK5gSTUL.png

w5wikoe.png

It's hard to create throwbacks for a conference when the majority of teams have carried the same look or close to it for the majority of their time in college football. 

Alabama - Bear Bryant's National Championship Teams - Alabama has worn the same uniform for decades so how do we throwback under these circumstances? By giving the people what they want, Alabama throwing back to their white helmet days.

Arkansas - 1964 National Champions - "When Jerry met Jimmy"

Auburn - 1957 National Champions - The first of Auburn's two national titles, carrying a similar look to the Tigers of today, with some slight differences.

LSU - 1958 National Champions - Similar story to Auburn, but this time with some true wrap around stripes and helmet numbers.

Mississippi State - 1941 SEC Champions - The first and only SEC title for the Bulldogs came in 1941, in some simple all-maroon uniforms with a northwestern stripe on the sleeves.

Ole Miss - 1962 National Champions - Amidst the turmoil surrounding the university at the time in 1962, the Rebels completed the team's only undefeated and untied season which ended with a national championship.

Texas A&M - 1927 National Champions - The second of A&M's claimed national titles, looks fresh out of the Roaring 20's

, with a return of the 1939 faux-leather helmet from the '39 Throwbacks from a season or two ago. 

C&C welcome!

On 1/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, WSU151 said:

One suggestion - use the serifed numbers for Stanford, and use regular block for WSU. The serifs just seem to work better with that vintage serifed-S logo. 

The number font for Stanford is the correct one, based on the uniform. The logos are just there for individuality, and get as close to the throwback period as I can. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - SEC West

R5troSf.pngZijtHX1.pngjl8otED.png

TLqK9uE.pngTbKK8al.pngkKrfXIH.png

zGmfxdF.png

Florida - 1966 Orange Bowl Champions - similar to the throwbacks they've worn in the last couple years but a little different, these honor the Spurrier led team that won the Orange Bowl that season.

Georgia - 1980 National Champions - The demons were just recently exercised but go back to 1980 again, this time with the red throwbacks.

Kentucky - 1950 National Champions* - Depending on who you ask, Kentucky either won or didn't win the national championship that year. We're going with the assumption they did and the 1950 uniforms celebrate that assumed fact.

Missouri - 1960 Orange Bowl Champions - The undefeated Tigers rumbled their way to a 10-1 finish that was adjusted to 11-0 with a win by forfeit in the Border War with Kansas, that culminated in an Orange Bowl win over Navy.

South Carolina - 1969 ACC Champions - The Gamecocks' first and only conference championship came in 1969, wasn't the best season overall, but finished with a solid 6-0 record in conference play.

Tennessee - Condredge Holloway, the "Artful Dodger" - Tennessee has worn a variation of the same uniform forever, except for a short period, when Condredge Holloway was leading the Vols in the early 70's. It also is a popular option and wish for Vols fans for the team to throwback to.

Vanderbilt - 1955 Gator Bowl Champions - The first bowl game and first bowl win for the Commodores, coming over conference mate Auburn.

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

NpA1KXm.pngeZT4BIq.pngVTRZMya.png

UNX6m0O.pngeZJWkkb.png2ibNYnu.png

y71yaZc.pngjzS0gz3.png3obc7VF.png

HlpRlQd.png

Appalachian State - 1987 SoCon Champions - While not the most successful season in App State history by any stretch of the taffy, I needed an excuse to get these uniforms back on the field, complete with this very unique helmet logo

Arkansas State - 1970 FCS Champions - A fairly simple uniform that celebrates a tremendous milestone, the Red Wolves, or as they were known then, the Indians, celebrate their 1970 FCS National Championship once again.

Coastal Carolina - Fauxback - The first of a few Sun Belt teams that go down the fauxback route, Coastal goes with a fairly classic football uniform approach, using the vintage looking Chants logo. 

Georgia Southern - 1920's-1930's Fauxback -  The Eagles go down the fauxback-ish route, while the uniforms are close to what was worn in 1929, there's no indication of what the helmets might have looked like, if they were even worn then, so we take the Teachers helmets from a few seasons back and put them in school colors.  

Georgia State - Fauxback - Like Coastal, Georgia State has little football history to fall back on, so the fauxback route we go. black and red are relegated to just being helmet logo colors, which it itself coming from the late 80's/early 90's based on what I could find and the uniform emulates a 60's style uniform. 

Louisiana-Lafayette (I know they dropped the Lafayette, but for distinction purposes) - 70's+90's mashup: Despite a deep football history, I ended up with a bit of a mashup. The helmet borrows from both the 1990's/Jake Delhomme days, with the Cajuns script on one side and on the other, the flag of Acadiana which was worn on the helmets of the 1970's teams that won the Gulf States Conference that year. The jerseys are mostly, if not entirely from the Delhomme days. The pants are also from the 70's.

Louisiana-Monroe - 1987 FCS National Champions - They bear a certain similarity to the current uniforms, mostly because these inspired the new uniforms. These however celebrate the "Team of Destiny" that despite two losses that season, won 3 games in the playoffs by 5 points to capture the national title that season.

South Alabama - Fauxback - The last of our fauxbacking Fun Belt teams, South Alabama actually borrows a certain amount from their basketball history, culminating in a uniform that uses shoulder stripes and a wide stripe on the pants, resembling the basketball uniforms worn by Terry Catledge in his days as a Jaguar.

Texas State - 1981-1982 D2 National Champions - They went back to back as National Champions, doing it as Southwest Texas State then, winning 27 of 28 games in two seasons to clinch consecutive championships.

Troy - 1968 NAIA National Champions - Finally, the Trojans honor the team that won the 1968 NAIA title, which they've gone helmet throwback on in the past but now go full throwback on here.

C&C welcome. Just the Independents are left! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - Sun Belt

BzeHLBU.pngp3GBe8A.png

5Z1arK1.pngEu4kAnx.png

Pc9yL2L.pngbyZzJ06.png

j2sRd1u.png

our final stop on the Redux path takes us to those teams that feel no conference is the best way to proceed:

Army - 1944-45-46 National Champions - Army celebrates their 3 pack of dominance in the mid-40's with uniforms that are similar to the current digs, but different enough. 

BYU - Lavell Edwards + Fauxback - BYU posed an interesting choice. Sure they won a national championship, technically the last and only mid major to do so but they did it in uniforms that look just like the current ones. And Lavell Edwards is the schools most successful coach, and possibly the most beloved coach, it felt right to attach his name to this uniform. So down the fauxback road we go: 

Connecticut  - 1970 Yankee Conf Champs - I'd be lying if I didn't think that UConn should drop down to the FCS level for football. I think that many of us here would argue that it's been tough sledding for them in recent seasons. But that's a discussion for another thread. These uniforms celebrate the 1970 Huskies, the team that won the Yankee Conference (a top shelf conference name if you ask me). Also as far as I'm concerned, that's also a clever logo on the helmet.

Liberty - Pre-FBS History - I had no idea that Liberty had a football program before 2010. I thought they were in a Georgia State/Coastal type situation. But I was very wrong. So I landed on a uniform that uses the helmet from the 1979-1983 uniforms, largely based on using the flames script logo which is used on top of the 1988 uniforms, which has a classic feel to me.

Massachusetts - 1998 FCS National Champions - Another team that has had some tough sledding in recent years, but in 1998, the Minutemen were on top of the food chain, claiming the national title over then FCS powerhouse Georgia Southern.

New Mexico State - 1960 Border Conf Champions - I have to say, in all my years concepting across various sports and topics and ideas, these have to be some the most unique uniforms I've ever seen. These interesting uniforms take the idea of Colts stripes and run them in the opposite direction, an interesting idea if I've ever seen one.

Notre Dame - 1973 National Champions - Despite my own personal distaste for the Fighting Irish, I have to admit that they have some pretty iconic uniforms. The navy uniforms get most of the love, but I wanted to focus on the white uniforms, which was given the chance by way of the 1973 Sugar Bowl win over Alabama, which gave them the AP share of the National Championship that season. 

Well it's been fun doing this. Taking a look back at many teams' histories and imagining what could have been for CFB150. 

Thanks for following along! Don't be shocked if a Reverse Retro thread comes out of this 😂

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to CFB150 Redux - Independents

I've been lurking at your concepts, and I can't help but to be amazed at all of your work!

With the historical aspect being of utmost importance, you really did a great job in researching on the actual looks of most teams and translating them on the modern templates. As for the fauxbacks, you had a tremendous job on how to come up with something that looks vintage, and you truly accomplished that feat.

I was about to say that maybe there could be a FCS edition of this topic, but I do understand that source images for those teams are scarce.

Anyhoo, great work as always! 😉

Archived