2021-22 NBA Thread

Gary

Athletic says Frank Vogel is coaching for his job every game at this point. Naturally, the least egocentric and least culpable guy present is the one who will take the fall. My only regret is that the Lakers actually did manage to wring one title out of their all-timer talent before resuming the nepotism, backstabbing and parlor intrigue 

• Like 3

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 1/14/2022 at 10:20 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Good thing I didn't become a Spurs fan based on their fiesta uniform.

They've been competitive this year though. And they're only 2.5 games out of the playoffs shuffle. Cleveland's been a big surprise this year, too. I really hope they can keep it up. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

No one made Frank Vogel start DeAndre Jordan and Kent Bazemore the first quarter of the season. No one forces him to keep Wayne Ellington on the bench.

The Lakers have been inconsistent this season, so someone somewhere needs to take responsibility. I think adding Russ has been the biggest negative impact, which isn't Frank's fault at all. But Russ can't move, and the team needs a kick in the ass from somewhere.

Beating Utah last night helps. Getting AD back will help (provided he pulls his head out of his ass).

But the Lakers are likely stuck in the bottom half of the west and will be fighting for a playoff spot all season long. Based on the roster construction, that's a massive disappointment and there's no patience in that city at all.

Also? I hate this season. It all feels phony because everyone's injured and there are what feels like wholly different rosters for each time night after night. As a fan, I haven't been a fan this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There's a lot of smoke around a Kings/Sixers trade, which seems like it would net them better pieces than that Pistons idea... but it sure feels like, if they were to get an all-star in return, that would've happened by now. Meanwhile the Nets are without KD for a month-plus (and Kyrie...you know).

Penciling in that Bulls/Cavs ECF.

Well with their two lottery-winning Brooklyn picks, the Celtics found the next Carmelo Anthony and the next Jason Richardson.

On one hand, it is hard to complain about having used top-3 picks on productive NBA starters with good counting stats who are both willing and able to take the court with regularity, in an era where several other top-3 picks who should be in their prime right now are either making up mental illnesses while failing to honor their contract (Simmons), have the yips plus nerve damage (Fultz), are morbidly obese (Zion), are unremarkable underachievers (Lonzo, Bagley, Jabari Parker), or are nuclear busts (Bennett).

On the other hand, this is pretty clearly not a championship foundation, and some drastic changes are in order... even though they've already made several by parting ways with their GM, making the coach the new GM, hiring a puppet coach because he fits a skin color mandate issued by one of their "franchise" players, salary dumping the expensive scoring-oriented/no-defense PG they signed to replace the old crazy one who they traded for to replace the old short one (meanwhile Rozier did all their jobs just as well in the 2018 playoffs for a fraction of the price), and worst of all, changing the color of the TD Garden from yellow to black and removing all character from the place.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Lol Sixers. That trade makes Philly a Finals contender. What else are they hoping for?

Gotta love the Sixers brass...

Anyway, Simmons deserves to go to Detroit for the rest of his NBA days.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 6:59 AM, who do you think said:

Well with their two lottery-winning Brooklyn picks, the Celtics found the next Carmelo Anthony and the next Jason Richardson.

On one hand, it is hard to complain about having used top-3 picks on productive NBA starters with good counting stats who are both willing and able to take the court with regularity, in an era where several other top-3 picks who should be in their prime right now are either making up mental illnesses while failing to honor their contract (Simmons), have the yips plus nerve damage (Fultz), are morbidly obese (Zion), are unremarkable underachievers (Lonzo, Bagley, Jabari Parker), or are nuclear busts (Bennett).

On the other hand, this is pretty clearly not a championship foundation, and some drastic changes are in order... even though they've already made several by parting ways with their GM, making the coach the new GM, hiring a puppet coach because he fits a skin color mandate issued by one of their "franchise" players, salary dumping the expensive scoring-oriented/no-defense PG they signed to replace the old crazy one who they traded for to replace the old short one (meanwhile Rozier did all their jobs just as well in the 2018 playoffs for a fraction of the price), and worst of all, changing the color of the TD Garden from yellow to black and removing all character from the place.

Posted just in time for a blowout win and a Tatum 50-point game! 

No, I do understand the frustrations, but I don't like all the hysteria in Celticsland right now as if there are easy answers. Tatum and Brown are both flawed players who are frustrating at times, but they're also both All-Star level and under team contracts for years to come. Trading either or both to play the lottery-ticket game again seems like lunacy and selling at a low.

The fact is that Danny Ainge made a complete hash of things at the end of his run. They've whiffed on every draft pick since Tatum and can't seem to make any useful signings or trades, while they've lost THREE max players for nothing in free agency the past three years, which, even if one was made of glass and one was an anti-vaxxer headcase, is still a lot of talent to see walk for nothing. I think the "NBA is a stars' league" narrative ignores the solid and complimentary supporting casts we've seen on non-LeBron Finals teams in recent years. The fact is the Celtics' 3-6 would be an elite team's 7-10, and their bench all belong in Maine. That's the part that needs fixing, to find pieces that complement the young stars rather than keep shoulder ever more of the burden. Unfortunately I don't think putting a rookie GM in charge is the best way to solve this puzzle, but here we are.

Also the seats change was the Bruins' doing so go blame them. I thought the yellow was dingy.

• Like 1

The Clippers pulled off one of the most impressive comebacks you'll ever see tonight against the dysfunctional Wizards:

- Erased a 35-point deficit (tied for the second-largest deficit any team has come back from in NBA history)

- Down 6 towards the end of the game, Luke Kennard scored 7 points in 6 seconds to seal the win, including a game-winning four-point play

- No Kawhi, no PG, no Marcus Morris, and Lue benched the remaining starters in the second half. The closing lineup was Jay Scrubb, Kennard, Terrance Mann, Amir Coffey, and Justise Winslow.

- This was a road game!

This is the Clippers' third 24+ point comeback of the season. Just bonkers.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I Don't really know what to make of the Celtics.

'16-'20 were probably their best chances at a title. But almost every time they were cockblocked by Lebron. 

2018 & 2020 they should have made the Finals.

But  in '18 Hayward was lost in the first game of that season season & they didn't have Kyrie for the playoffs. Yet they still managed to get to a Game 7 ECF, where of course Lebron pulled his usual BS and the Celtics choked. I still standby that had they beat the Cavs, the Celtics do beat the Warriors in The Finals. That Warriors team was on their last legs and only swept the Cavs because there one of the worst Finals teams  Lebron dragged since the 07. 

2020 they just flat out choked, no excuse. IDK how they lost to the goddamn Heat. That should have been another Lakers - Celtics Finals. 

The fact Toronto won a championship before the Celtics is honestly really embarrassing. 

Ainge was a stingy bastard when he needed to make a big trade like the Raptors did for a like Westbrook, Paul George or CPIII. to support Tatum. Kyrie was the closest he got but.........yeah. 

It certainly didn't help either that every big free agent like AD & KD decided to go elsewhere instead of the team that was  in consecutive conference finals 1 big player away from a championship.  But they won rings regardless so... 

Tatum & Brown will likely be enough to just barely keep them competitive, but I doubt they'll ever be as close to The Finals as they were a few years ago. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:19 AM, Digby said:

Posted just in time for a blowout win and a Tatum 50-point game! 

Over the Sacramento Kings, the NBA's toilet for the last 15 years now.

No, I do understand the frustrations, but I don't like all the hysteria in Celticsland right now as if there are easy answers. Tatum and Brown are both flawed players who are frustrating at times, but they're also both All-Star level and under team contracts for years to come. Trading either or both to play the lottery-ticket game again seems like lunacy and selling at a low.

Jaylen Brown does nothing to affect the game if he's not scoring. He hasn't developed his skillset since his second year in the league, he's just received more scoring opportunities due to the departure/injury of everyone previously ahead of him in the pecking order. I also wonder if he's a source of the obvious locker room dysfunction, considering the grating, holier-than-thou persona he presents to the public.

I'd still rather have him than Ben Simmons because at least he plays, but I'd much prefer to find some sucker team to trade some value players for him under the delusion that he can be a successful franchise player for them. If possible, of course; seems like there are fewer idiots running teams nowadays.

The fact is that Danny Ainge made a complete hash of things at the end of his run. They've whiffed on every draft pick since Tatum and can't seem to make any useful signings or trades, while they've lost THREE max players for nothing in free agency the past three years, which, even if one was made of glass and one was an anti-vaxxer headcase, is still a lot of talent to see walk for nothing. I think the "NBA is a stars' league" narrative ignores the solid and complimentary supporting casts we've seen on non-LeBron Finals teams in recent years. The fact is the Celtics' 3-6 would be an elite team's 7-10, and their bench all belong in Maine. That's the part that needs fixing, to find pieces that complement the young stars rather than keep shoulder ever more of the burden. Unfortunately I don't think putting a rookie GM in charge is the best way to solve this puzzle, but here we are.

The real problem is the Celtics got too good too soon after the Nets trade, and the people in charge decided that seizing the day was a more appropriate course of action than solidifying the foundation. True, windows in the NBA are fleeting, but that doesn't mean you go off half-cocked like the Celtics did in 2017.

The IT trade was the beginning of the end. Trading IT at the peak of his value was a good idea, but swapping him for Irving was unnecessary and turned out to be disastrous. The Celtics have spent the last five years now being run like the 2009-2012 Red Sox. They refuse to accept the need for a retool/rebuild until it is forced upon them, they hastily go shopping for the wrong guys on the trade/FA market because star power (in total ignorance of why the 2016-18 NBA teams played so well), they piss pants about tomorrow's headlines at the expense of all on-court concerns, and then they change coaches in response to their (very good) previous coach's inability to "reach" the players in his Japanese :censored: painting of a locker room that management created by mashing random pieces together with zero consideration for fit.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, DoctorWhom said:

I Don't really know what to make of the Celtics.

'16-'20 were probably their best chances at a title. But almost every time they were cockblocked by Lebron. 

2018 & 2020 they should have made the Finals.

But  in '18 Hayward was lost in the first game of that season season & they didn't have Kyrie for the playoffs. Yet they still managed to get to a Game 7 ECF, where of course Lebron pulled his usual BS and the Celtics choked. I still standby that had they beat the Cavs, the Celtics do beat the Warriors in The Finals. That Warriors team was on their last legs and only swept the Cavs because there one of the worst Finals teams  Lebron dragged since the 07.

I highly doubt that. The Warriors swept the Cavs rather easily, and we were not a decisively better team than Cleveland.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, DoctorWhom said:

2020 they just flat out choked, no excuse. IDK how they lost to the goddamn Heat. That should have been another Lakers - Celtics Finals. 

The fact Toronto won a championship before the Celtics is honestly really embarrassing. 

Ainge was a stingy bastard when he needed to make a big trade like the Raptors did for a like Westbrook, Paul George or CPIII. to support Tatum. Kyrie was the closest he got but.........yeah.

Westbrook is a stat-padder, Paul George is scum and pure anal cancer in every locker room he sets foot in (there's a reason he never wins and hopefully never does), Kawhi would have dipped after one year (ultimately what happened with Kyrie anyway, though). Getting Chris Paul in 2019 instead of Walker would have been nice but I don't remember any discussion or any way that they could have swung that.

An Eagles linebacker named Ben Simmons to his All Dickhead Team.  What's funny is that it's based on the Simmons shirts that they sell outside the arena, where he's basically an anthropomorphic dick and balls (hairy balls at that.)  Relevant pics in the tweets in the link.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/01/eagles-linebacker-puts-ben-simmons-on-the-all-dickhead-first-team.html

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Probably in reference to soccer, but I interpret it as dropping the people's elbow on oxygen-stealing piece of excrement Ben Simmons.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."