2021-22 NBA Thread

Gary

9 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

This is somewhat beyond NBA-only, but I'm very confused as to the events names for All Star Weekend.

Last night's events was just called "The Clorox Rising Stars". The dunk contest is just called "The AT&T Slam Dunk" (which it has been for a while, with different sponsors). Why is it not called the Slam Dunk Contest? It's still called the Three Point Shootout, I'm not sure why we're leaving off some of the nouns here.

Outside of basketball, NBC has the Toyota Halftime, instead of the halftime report. of halftime show. it just sounds weird as hell.

Postgame of the Depend Adult Undergarment

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, Shumway said:

This Missed Dunk Competition isn't very exciting to watch.

They've pretty much done everything they can do. The Slam Dunk competition should be played during leap years only.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

At this point we get maybe one good dunk contest every 5 years. Just a shame the human limit keeps people from doing never been done dunks within three tries nowadays. Shoutout Toppin for at least trying 3 NBD’s even if they weren’t landed cleanly, it’s that innovation that gives me even a lick of hope for the future of this contest. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The last dunk contest I watched was the one where some stick figure 12th man playing for Utah missed like 45 dunk attempts before finally completing one that was whatever at best, and IIRC he got all 10's for it. I wanted to throw batteries at my TV. It had been declining for a bit but that was my Jerry Seinfeld gif moment. Haven't watched since.

Anyway I love the Celtics showing signs of life for a bit before the All-Star break, then reverting to form and choking away yet another game that they led by multiple possessions with mere minutes to go, this time against the fully decomposed corpse of the Detroit Pistons.

https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/03/01/charter-flights-violation-new-york-liberty-joe-tsai-daily-cover

So apparently it's not a thing to let WNBA teams fly on charters during a pandemic. MLS is stingier with making players comfortable and even they realized it was smarter to do this last season. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/03/01/charter-flights-violation-new-york-liberty-joe-tsai-daily-cover

So apparently it's not a thing to let WNBA teams fly on charters during a pandemic. MLS is stingier with making players comfortable and even they realized it was smarter to do this last season. 

This is a hilarious scandal. Very MLS-esque in that it excuses the richest men in the room from maintaining a professional standard for their labor under the guise of "sustainability". 

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Clippers have a better record than both the Lakers and Nets right now despite Kawhi being out all season, PG being out for most of the season, and Norm only playing three games before being sidelined by an injury. Not only that, but they're two games over .500 with all that money on the bench, which is crazy. Ty Lue might be the best coach in basketball.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Clippers have a better record than both the Lakers and Nets right now despite Kawhi being out all season, PG being out for most of the season, and Norm only playing three games before being sidelined by an injury. Not only that, but they're two games over .500 with all that money on the bench, which is crazy. Ty Lue might be the best coach in basketball.

The Clippers are a great story. This league can be a tough on teams that defy expectations. I'm writing this as a Timberwolves fan from day 1 of the franchise. This year's team is inconsistent, but exciting and really coming into form. (They  just beat Cleveland and Golden State on back to back nights.) Yet they've only been on national TV once this year, on a west coast swing when they played the dismal Lakers, who are on TV almost every night. 

I understand the market dynamics of it all. It's why I've seen three times as many Knicks games this year as I have T-Wolves. (I don't pay for the NBA TV package). But it's still a little confounding. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Digby said:

Suddenly haven't heard much from the "Ime Udoka is a quota hire" crowd! 

FM87L8SXMAchKE4.jpeg 

He’s been an assistant around the league for years. He finally got his shot and is proving why he deserved it.

BTW, the Celtics last championship came with a black HC. 😉

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Digby said:

Suddenly haven't heard much from the "Ime Udoka is a quota hire" crowd! 

FM87L8SXMAchKE4.jpeg 

Yeah, what was he doing when the team was pissing away 4th quarter leads like cheap beer in a trailer park and losing to the Bismarck Flying Hamsters (or whoever Minnesota's G-League team is)? If you told everyone before the start of the season that the Celtics would be 11 games over .500 in March, only Nets, Sixers, and Lakers fans would have been excited.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

That’s back-to-back wins for the Celtics over Memphis and Brooklyn, and Tatum is staking his claim to elite status… I’m not dwelling on their ugly games against like Washington in November. Celtics back, folks!

I added a throw up emoji, but I don't actually have anything against the Celtics. Much like how the Sixers admitted the Process was a failure, the C's moving on from the Ainge failures means they get a clean slate with me.

The East is stacked. Best of luck to everyone.

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Much like how the Sixers admitted the Process was a failure

That didn't happen.

• Dislike 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That didn't happen.

They're all gone except for Embiid. Including the GM.

It failed. They built around a star player and stopped losing. That's the end of the Process.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They're all gone except for Embiid. Including the GM.

It failed. They built around a star player and stopped losing. That's the end of the Process.

I love these battles.  They would not have James Harden or be a relevant team if not for the process.  That's simply not debatable.  They would not have had that star player if not for the process.  That's not debatable.  They parlayed all of their top picks they got through the process into a team that's annually relevant and a contender, and is now possibly closer to a title than ever before.  If "win a title" is the only measure of success for the process, then the jury is still out.  I think that going from complete irrelevancy to an annual contender that can lure FAs and has one of the most genuinely likable and marketable young stars in the league means that it was a success.

• Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No, that's just called doing what every team should do. And what pretty much every team does do. You've described effective team building. Philly was lucky to get Elton Brand and then Darryl Morey to make it happen.

• Like 1