Ohio Introduces First New License Plate Since 2013

buckeye

4 hours ago, Ark said:

I think it's great.

Similar to the new (and previous) NY ones but much more colorful and expressive

42c5b609-9439-4653-920d-6ae600d77abd-Des

Looks as though Staten Island has rejoined New Jersey.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Way too busy.

. . . and is it me, or is it a bit ironic (at least in an Alanis Morrissette way) that the HI is in lower case . . . in the middle of UPPER CASE Os?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Way too busy.

If the background on the actual plate is that dark, I can see this being changed in about a year (or the opacity of the background reduced) due to legibility reasons. Even with the dark navy font, those characters are going to turn into one giant blob at 100 feet.

(edit) I made my comment without reading leopard's above mine, and the fact that we started our comments identically should tell you something. And that something is that we're both absolute :censored: ing geniuses.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Feels like license plate designers have to spend a lot of time being mindful of people not in cities, since the images are often buildings shunted to the side, with a whole bunch of wide open spaces.

I like west coast plates:

1200px-2017_Washington_License_Plate.jpg

0111005f9461761c9778b0483d45c6f6.jpg

ca13-16.jpg

There's no trying to appease everyone in the state -- just a basic image (or in California's case, none) and living with it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

(edit) I made my comment without reading leopard's above mine, and the fact that we started our comments identically should tell you something. And that something is that we're both absolute :censored: ing geniuses.

You won't get any argument out of me, professor.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 10/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

the implication that they're the "birthplace of aviation" over North Carolina is pretty laughable. There's a bunch of other things they could play off of and they chose that?

whoa whoa whoa. Hold on a second here. I gotta stand up for one part of Ohio's awful new plate here - First of all "Birthplace of Aviation" isn't new and has been on our license plates since the late 90's:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2AKk7lAMdl9J2qUPGMAd

(the plate on my car looks like this. I like the colors and the chevron makes a subtle nod to the state flag. )

fd8a2b79ab890b6140c42c1e9be85dbc.jpg

(former governor Ted Strickland's wife designed this one and it's why this new one is so dumb to me. The new plate is the same thing except more poorly executed.)

Ohio_license_plate_sample_2001.jpg

1997-2001.png

(Always joked that with these they were trying to make the license plates look dirty in advance so when they actually got dirty you couldn't tell)

The last time it didn't say "Birthplace of aviation" was the mid 90's when we were calling ourselves the "Heart of it All" LOL. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThoezZ4WTiC7vcltrVIWz

But here's why "Birthplace of Aviation" isn't "laughable": The Wright brothers are from Dayton, Ohio and that's where most of their work was conducted. The plane was built in Dayton. They assembled it and flew it in North Carolina, yes, but 95% of the work before and after happened in Ohio. They only went to Kittyhawk for the flight because the wind was more consistent and the sand would be soft for landings. After the first flight they went back to Dayton and continued to tinker and perfect their aircrafts. Because of the Wright brothers Dayton is where the world's first ever aircraft factory and 7 years after the first flight they flew the first ever cargo flight from Dayton to Columbus in 1910.

It was also officially declared by Congress: "In 2003, Congress officially declared Ohio as the “birthplace of aviation” over North Carolina, because Dayton was the home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, who were credited in inventing and flying the first aircraft. Historians believe the Wright Brothers conducted research, drew up design plans, and created their aircraft inside their bicycle shop on the west side of Dayton."

Also, for some reason more NASA astronauts have come from Ohio than any other state, which includes the first man on the moon and the first person to orbit the Earth. It's why this meme is particularly funny to me

hqdefault.jpg

It's only laughable if you don't know anything. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I presume (hope) these will be used concurrently with the current chevron plate, right? Because these are essentially the "dumb farm scene" 2.0 plates. They're way too busy.

When I lived in Ohio and was getting my plates, I made a similar comment (something along the lines of "I don't like these plates; they're way too busy"). The worker at the BMV got huffy with me about it and said something like "These are very nice plates. They were designed by the governor's wife!"

On 10/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, Dilbert said:

They made an error and have already corrected the image. The plane was backwards. Whoops.

spacer.png

Also, not only did they have the plane backwards on the example image, they printed 35,000 plates with the wrong plane orientation. https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/ohio-printed-35000-incorrect-license-plates-before-error-noticed/530-6e7548cc-065d-406b-bf85-915a81125eeb

They should have just left it all well enough alone. The chevron plates are A-OK.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:15 AM, Sport said:

the first person to orbit the Earth

The first American to orbit the Earth. The first man to orbit the Earth was a Russian lad named Yuri. 

But yes. Ohio does the flying well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The entire top of those plates are gonna be obscured by license plate frames, for those who choose to get them. 

I don't see the point of these new plates. What was wrong with the previous chevron ones? The red chevron at least evoked wings without shouting it from the cornfields; it was clean and simple. This one jams too much into one space. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived