The Rays, Highlanders/Yankees and Orioles look amazing. The Red Sox look good. The Jays look a little just like "2000s edgy birb colors with traditional birb logos" but are still good.

For the NL West Dodgers, while they've worn the blue and white for a long time, there's a lot of quirkiness if you go back farther, like the 1937 green experiment, their turn of the century red and Old English letters, red pinstripes, and joining the Giants in getting consumed by the 1916 Plaid Monster.

16 hours ago, Coiler said:

The Rays, Highlanders/Yankees and Orioles look amazing. The Red Sox look good. The Jays look a little just like "2000s edgy birb colors with traditional birb logos" but are still good.

Here's an alternate, somewhat bolder idea for Boston:

RED SOX:

spacer.png

Similar idea as the first design but with pinstripes a la the Boston teams of the late 1920s and early '30s. The sansabelt and collar piping are consistent with the uniforms of the 1970s Red Sox

Any suggestions for Toronto? I know the Black Jays were unpopular and I probably would have done something more with their original baby blue had the team not recently introduced light blue alternates which they wear regularly. 

1 hour ago, Coiler said:

Like the Pinstripe Sox. As for the Blue Jays, well, they don't have that much material to work with. Maybe something that incorporates their red Canada Day uniform?

How about something like this?

BLUE JAYS:

spacer.png

I really wanted to stick with black since it was such a distinctly different and weird period in the Jays' history, but this version keeps their original logos and numbers and uses a vest style a la their 1999-2003 unis. I also used the more aquamarine shade of blue from that same period. Thoughts? 

On 10/28/2021 at 1:24 PM, coco1997 said:

For my next series, I was inspired by the NBA's new Mixtape uniform program which sees each team getting a new alternate that combines logos, colors and unique design elements from throughout their uniform history. I'll go division by division, starting with the AL West!

LOS ANGELES ANGELS of ANAHEIM:

spacer.png

The Angels design is a play on the Disney era Angels while adopting the logos and numbers of the '72-92 uniforms

HOUSTON ASTROS

spacer.png

The Astros design combines the scripts and logos from Houston's 1980-93 uniforms with the 2000-12 team's pinstripes and black base and utilizes a new tequila sunrise-style trim. 

SEATTLE MARINERS:

spacer.png

The M's set is based on the team's infamous Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms from 1998 while using logos and scripts from 1981-86

OAKLAND ATHLETICS:

spacer.png

I thought it might be fun to bring back the monochrome A's unis from the early '70s but paint them black

TEXAS RANGERS:

spacer.png

This one adopts the 1970s's Rangers colors and logo into a vest style design a la the 2004-08 team. (Fun fact, the Rangers actually wore a powder blue top with white pants for one game in 1975.)

C&C appreciated! A National League division will be up next. 

One little suggestion I would make for the Angels would be that instead of having 2 halos on the cap, one on the A is just fine and perhaps make the halo on the cap & jersey logo yellow so it pops a little more, you know?

On 11/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, Coiler said:

Vest unis (ie early Diamondbacks) are always good with me.

Thanks! And speaking of the Diamondbacks, today we have the NL West!

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS:

spacer.png

For the Giants, I went with a sleek mono black design inspired by the World Series champion 1905 New York Giants. I also was inspired by the images of "unlocked" MLB logos that went viral a while back but used the Giants 1983-93 monogram letters instead. The numbers are from their current uniforms

SAN DIEGO PADRES:

spacer.png

The Padres are a team with a really vivid design history, but now that the team is finally back in brown and gold where they belong, I decided to go in the opposite direction. The navy and orange scheme (with pinstripes) was worn by the Friars from 1991-2003, and the contrasting raglan style sleeves evokes their 1976-79 duds. The swoopy "Padres" script was used from 2004-15, and the cap is a recolored version of what they wore from 1980-84

LOS ANGELES DODGERS:

spacer.png

As @Coiler pointed out, there are a lot of quirky design elements to be found early in Dodgers uniform history, including green unis in 1937 and a checkerboard look worn from 1916-17. While those are interesting ideas, I wanted my design to still feel distinctly Dodgers. The solid baby blue design with thick T-bars and pant stripes was worn by the Dodgers for one season in 1944. I swapped out the classic "Dodgers" script for the arched Tuscan lettering the team wore from 1932-33 and used Red Sox-style McAuliffe numbers which the Dodgers used for many seasons. 

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS:

spacer.png

It was probably a given that I would put the D-Backs back in their classic, sleeveless pinstripes for this series. I went back and forth on a few color scheme ideas but ultimately settled on their current one for this design. Big thanks to @Victormrey for helping me with the vest diamond pattern, which is meant to evoke the team's early alternates

COLORADO ROCKIES:

spacer.png

The Rockies' uniforms have gone pretty much unchanged since the team came into the league in 1993, so this design mashes up the only two truly different looks in team history thus far: their purple and green 1998 All-Star Game jerseys and the team's Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms from the following year. 

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Mixtape Edition (NL West 11/6)

As always, great work.  Love all of these.

-The Giants looks different but still "Giants-y".

-Likewise the Dodgers. The pure blue looks different but not too different.

-Padres takes one of their blandest original color sets and makes it look good and distinct.

-Early vests in current colors for the Diamondbacks is a great combination.

-Rockies have a nice 90s Utah Jazz style to them.

On 11/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, jgamarra2511 said:

One little suggestion I would make for the Angels would be that instead of having 2 halos on the cap, one on the A is just fine and perhaps make the halo on the cap & jersey logo yellow so it pops a little more, you know?

Thanks! Here's a compromise to your idea:

LOS ANGELES ANGELS:

spacer.png

I changed the halo color to gold as you suggested but kept the halo on the top of crown of the cap since it's such a unique feature to the Angels while removing it from the cap "A." Thoughts?

18 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! Here's a compromise to your idea:

LOS ANGELES ANGELS:

spacer.png

I changed the halo color to gold as you suggested but kept the halo on the top of crown of the cap since it's such a unique feature to the Angels while removing it from the cap "A." Thoughts?

So beautiful with the addition of gold! The A on the cap does feel empty w/o the halo on the logo, u know? But I get your approach with the uniqueness of the Los Angeles/California Angels era caps (‘60s). Great job as always!!! 👏 😇 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 12:40 PM, jgamarra2511 said:

So beautiful with the addition of gold! The A on the cap does feel empty w/o the halo on the logo, u know? But I get your approach with the uniqueness of the Los Angeles/California Angels era caps (‘60s). Great job as always!!! 👏😇 

Thanks!

On 10/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, coco1997 said:

For my next series, I was inspired by the NBA's new Mixtape uniform program which sees each team getting a new alternate that combines logos, colors and unique design elements from throughout their uniform history. I'll go division by division, starting with the AL West!

LOS ANGELES ANGELS of ANAHEIM:

spacer.png

The Angels design is a play on the Disney era Angels while adopting the logos and numbers of the '72-92 uniforms

I realize the Angels wore this number font in the ~70s (block varsity was used by the team in early 80s-92) but I think the modern font would work better for this concept, as most associate that older font with the Red Sox. Seeing as how this is a “mixtape”, something from the 2002-current set should be on there, I think. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 7:48 PM, WSU151 said:

I realize the Angels wore this number font in the ~70s (block varsity was used by the team in early 80s-92) but I think the modern font would work better for this concept, as most associate that older font with the Red Sox. Seeing as how this is a “mixtape”, something from the 2002-current set should be on there, I think. 

Sorry for the late reply. This is a good suggestion. Here you go!

LOS ANGELES ANGELS:

spacer.png

On 1/1/2022 at 9:08 PM, EliPrado said:

Damn, this series is good! Wow.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Just saw this, don’t even know where to begin…but you got gems, here. Excellent work!!!

Thanks, guys! @EliPrado, hope to see you post more often! 

Happy New Year, everyone! I decided to revisit this series with Mixtape designs for a few defunct teams. I'll explain in more detail in the descriptions below:

MONTREAL EXPOS:
spacer.png

For the Expos, I went with a red-dominant design, inspired by the Washington Nationals. I also brought back Montreal's original, more rounded numbers

ST. LOUIS BROWNS:

spacer.png

The St. Louis Browns eventually became the Baltimore Orioles, so I went with a pullover, mono-brown design based on the 1970-71 O's. I also swapped out the cartoon oriole for a fleur-de-lis on the cap. 

WASHINGTON SENATORS:

spacer.png

With the original Washington Senators giving way to the team we now call the Minnesota Twins, I gave the Senators a powder blue top, thick triple sleeve stripes and a white front paneled cap while keeping Washington's 1959-60 "Senators" script and 1956-58 "3-D" jersey logo for the cap and sleeve patch. 

HOUSTON COLT .45s
spacer.png

This is probably my favorite design of the batch. For the Colt .45s, I applied Houston's 2000-12 "Old West" color scheme (which seemed to fit a team named after a cowboy's weapon of choice) to the Astros' iconic tequila sunrise design, while keeping the Colts' jersey script and cap logo

SEATTLE PILOTS:
spacer.png

The Pilots only existed for one season, but I didn't want to leave them out of this series. It made sense to put Seattle in the Mariners' modern colors of Northwest green, navy and silver, while the sleeve/collar/sansabelt striping are from the 1978-80 team. I really wanted to use racing stripes but just couldn't make it work with a softball top, so this seemed like a good compromise. As with my Brewers design, the socks are meant to evoke the Pilots' home sleeve stripes, while the cap uses the "S" logo from 1987-92. The white front paneled cap is inspired by the M's batting helmets from the early '80s. 

C&C appreciated! Let me know if there are any other teams you'd like to see. 

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Mixtape Edition (Defunct Teams 1/3)

Archived