Revisiting the Alton Baseball League (8/30 Santiago Bay Merchants)

TheGiantsFan

On 12/13/2021 at 11:43 PM, vtgco said:

I think the dark brown and green are fighting each other a tad with the Lumbers... Perhaps trading shades of brown with Jacksonville might help...? Also, the logos and font feel a tad too perfectly geometric for the woodsy vibe, though the switch to all-caps was probably the right call.

I'd love to see a whiteless uniform for the all-brown, with tan numbers and brown caps perhaps...

I love the shooting star pinstripes for Windport City; I'd love to see a touch of that on the other uniforms (maybe a single star at the top of the pant stripe?) Also, the font choices are my favorite yet, and the stacked "Windport City" wordmark looks great on a jersey. The cap logo is solid, but I think the W & P want a touch more distinctness and dynamism (perhaps I could suggest this?) Anyways, regardless, this is the shining star (ūüėĚ) of the series so far!

Jacksonville has a nice classic look! I think the wordmarks wanted to be arched, and the C in "Cattlers" wants to extend above the other letters like the J in "Jacksonville" does. The sleeve logos are too big IMO, though I'd rather see either nothing or a different logo design there (a full-body cow? a cowbell? idk)

I'm with @QCS about Granby's dropshadow; it feels out of place. The green cap with the black jersey is kinda fun, I like it. I'm curious if black script with green outline would look good at home...? The 1920s fauxback seems appropriate : D

For the Lumbers, I don't think I wanted to go full-in with the woodsy vibe as I wanted to go with something like what the Minnesota Twins have gone with in their wordmark history. I also wanted something tall like trees! Just for you, I also made a whiteless version of the brown jersey with tan replacing any white and green! If you think that this is an improvement over the current brown jersey, I'll add it along to the Lumbers' uniform set:

Spoiler

51804879547_99b2403743_o.png

I really like your sketch for a more dynamic Cosmos monogram, and it actually looks really similar to an ancient monogram sketch of mine from before the team was even named the Cosmos! Your monogram would look amazing for a rebrand of the Cosmos, though :)

I also revised the pants to include a star on the side stripe (I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner), and it actually looks really good! I'm glad you really enjoyed the Cosmos' set~

Spoiler

51653584915_d81b3894e3_o.png

I'm kinda set on the Cattlers' wordmarks being flat (though I will try it out curved), and the "C" doesn't extend above the other letters solely because it doesn't have the cattle horns like the "J" does. I am open to adding a cowbell alternate logo, so I'll definitely be revisiting the Cattlers set later on!

To address the concern that you and @QCS have about the legibility of the Granby wordmarks and drop shadow, I went ahead and inverted the wordmarks to have green outlines instead of black outlines. I have to say, it does make the jerseys look a whole lot cooler, so thanks for that suggestion! :)

Spoiler

51684416692_b68be001d9_o.png

Thanks for the feedback as always!

---

Happy new year, everyone!

I promise I haven't forgotten about this thread. I've just been coming home from my design job lately wanting to play Cities; Skylines instead of creating sports concepts¬†ūüėÖ

As my first design for the new year, I'll be starting out with one of the simpler yet more modern team looks in the ABL

United League EAST

Abrii Triad

Silverton, Abrii

ORIGINAL DRAWING

Spoiler

14614993852_0012f59cbf_o.jpg

51803489492_4edc4fa620_o.png

51804562443_97c4938a5b_o.png

This team is named the triad to represent the tri-city area it plays for, and is named for the state of Abrii that the team plays in despite being from a bi-state area.

The logo set centers around a Tennessee-style tri-star logo to represent the tri-city area and a three-tone red/black color scheme. I'll admit I have no idea what was going through my head when making the lines for the tri-star logo, so some creative liberties were taken when digitizing this one.

The team's visual identity had always been focused on the non-traditional, college-style jerseys that they wear, which features tall wordmarks and very tall NOBs. A third red/white stripe has been added to the jersey stripe, creating a fun solid gradient design while adding to the tri-city references.  The black numbers on the red alternate have been changed to white, and a whole new black jersey has been added to the rotation.

• Like 3

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the Alton Baseball League (6/30 Abrii Triad)

Different is right when describing that last one! Glad to see this series back. I think incorporating a star into the A cap logo somehow would tie it in. With that A not being the same font, it almost seems like an afterthought. I also really like the changes to the previous teams. Granby's new scripts look great.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, QCS said:

I love this! Very different but in a good way. I love the way you used the block gradient here.

Thank you very much! :)

On 1/7/2022 at 1:34 PM, MDTrey4 said:

Different is right when describing that last one! Glad to see this series back. I think incorporating a star into the A cap logo somehow would tie it in. With that A not being the same font, it almost seems like an afterthought. I also really like the changes to the previous teams. Granby's new scripts look great.

Gotta have something different to spruce things up once in a while! :P

The "A" on the cap is actually the same as the "A" on the wordmarks except shorter and with a notch added to it. I didn't quite understand why I decided to choose two different "A" logos back then, either :/

Glad you like the new updates though, and Granby has improved quite a bit!

---

Making up for lost time here, so here's the second baseball concept in a week!

Alton League WEST

Garrison Cadets

Garrison, Coastania

ORIGINAL DRAWINGS:

Spoiler

14615510425_f18fe997cc_o.jpg

51813939145_e09612d96c_o.png

51813319858_81dbda3fa7_o.png

Garrison had always been known for the large military presence in the area, so its sports teams have always been military-themed.

The Cadets are the first [of probably several] teams to receive new overhauls, and this one turns the bright green/brown of the hand-drawn concepts into a more mature, accurate military green/brown.  The colors were taken from the camo uniforms that the San Diego Padres and the Cincinnati Reds use. The new primary logo combines a baseball field with an old-school army helmet as well as military ranking insignia (a common design motif of mine when doing anything military-related). The secondary logo is inspired by the simple stylings of historic US Army logos.

The revamped Cadets jerseys use a new stencil font but retain a "G" cap logo similar to the original. The cream remains, but the green has been darkened significantly to pretty much brown and the "Cadets" script has been scrapped. The new road jerseys now feature a full "GARRISON" wordmark instead of just the "G" monogram, which debuts on a new brown alternate jersey. Camo would've been pretty difficult to draw by hand a decade ago, but there's an obligatory camo jersey now! All jerseys feature a chevron sleeve pattern, inspired by the fan jerseys that Monterey Bay FC (my "local" soccer team from my days in Monterey County) recently dropped

This was a pretty fun team to rebrand, so I hope y'all like it! :)

• Like 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the Alton Baseball League (7/30 Garrison Cadets)

Love the rebrand here! Love the colors, love the jerseys (with the exception of the camo but I understand why it's there), this is all excellent. My favorite part is is the pants striping, not sure why but it's really speaking to me. Great work as always!

Curious if the Triad triangle logo would look any good with the three stripes filling the whole space without gaps (i.e. like the jersey striping)

The jerseys are excellent; only complaints are that the triangle logo's a bit hard to see on the alt and that the A cap logo's a bit too plain. Multi-coloring the A might help, as would making the incorporating a star shape (perhaps as the "eyehole") like @MDTrey4 suggested.

Absolutely not necessary, but maybe it'd look cool for the front number to be inside an outline of the triangle pick-shape.

I'm liking the solid tan wordmarks on the update for the Lumbers, but maybe ditching all the green on the jersey and cap was a step too far...

Granby's update looks really great, though the more I look at it the more I'd appreciate a taller/narrower version of that Highway Gothic font for the numbers.

Despite my general dislike of IRL teams' attempts at camo cosplay, I like the foundations of Garrison's design. The arched font is solid and the chevron as the overarching element is a good idea. That said, the color hierarchy's a bit unclear, and the chevrons feel under-utilized everywhere but the pants. (It doesn't help that the current shade of gold blends in too much with the cream and the gray; a metallic gold might be better...)

That Monterey Bay Union jersey makes for some good inspiration, though! Rather than just using diagonal lines on the cuff, I'd go with a dark brown T-stripe setup on the sleeve with gold chevrons in a gap on the vertical bar, sorta matching the pants design. For the cap, I'd probably prefer a cream logo for the home and brown alt, possibly with some gold chevrons next to the seam one side...?

The logo's got some good ideas, but the chevrons ending horizontally doesn't read as those rank patches. I think it'd work well to put that helmet inside the gap of one of the (upside-down) patches (maybe sergeant, first class), maybe above a small base-path diamond, with some text in the uppermost arch?

On 1/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, QCS said:

Love the rebrand here! Love the colors, love the jerseys (with the exception of the camo but I understand why it's there), this is all excellent. My favorite part is is the pants striping, not sure why but it's really speaking to me. Great work as always!

Thank you very much! Glad you liked Garrison :)

On 1/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, vtgco said:

Curious if the Triad triangle logo would look any good with the three stripes filling the whole space without gaps (i.e. like the jersey striping)

The jerseys are excellent; only complaints are that the triangle logo's a bit hard to see on the alt and that the A cap logo's a bit too plain. Multi-coloring the A might help, as would making the incorporating a star shape (perhaps as the "eyehole") like @MDTrey4 suggested.

Absolutely not necessary, but maybe it'd look cool for the front number to be inside an outline of the triangle pick-shape.

I'm liking the solid tan wordmarks on the update for the Lumbers, but maybe ditching all the green on the jersey and cap was a step too far...

Granby's update looks really great, though the more I look at it the more I'd appreciate a taller/narrower version of that Highway Gothic font for the numbers.

Despite my general dislike of IRL teams' attempts at camo cosplay, I like the foundations of Garrison's design. The arched font is solid and the chevron as the overarching element is a good idea. That said, the color hierarchy's a bit unclear, and the chevrons feel under-utilized everywhere but the pants. (It doesn't help that the current shade of gold blends in too much with the cream and the gray; a metallic gold might be better...)

That Monterey Bay Union jersey makes for some good inspiration, though! Rather than just using diagonal lines on the cuff, I'd go with a dark brown T-stripe setup on the sleeve with gold chevrons in a gap on the vertical bar, sorta matching the pants design. For the cap, I'd probably prefer a cream logo for the home and brown alt, possibly with some gold chevrons next to the seam one side...?

The logo's got some good ideas, but the chevrons ending horizontally doesn't read as those rank patches. I think it'd work well to put that helmet inside the gap of one of the (upside-down) patches (maybe sergeant, first class), maybe above a small base-path diamond, with some text in the uppermost arch?

Granby's a really easy update for right now, so I have updated their number sets to a more compressed version of Highway Gothic for you!

Spoiler

51684416692_b857c8d32b_o.png

I've been trying to figure your feedback about Garrison, and I'm wondering what you meant when you said "dark brown T-stripe setup on the sleeve" . Did you mean something along the lines of the Mets' racing stripe jerseys? I'll rethink how the chevrons are incorporated into the logos and the uniforms, and I'll definitely make the cap logos cream-colored. I tried out your metallic gold suggestion but it kinda just muddied up the look; the rationale behind that shade of gold was to be an in-between color to complement the brown and the jersey base color instead of highlighting the wordmark.

I'll compile all these edits (including Lakent and the Triad) into a single post later on, but I'll definitely try to incorporate your suggestions!

---

United League WEST

Santiago Bay Merchants

Santiago Bay, Taft

ORIGINAL DRAWING:

Spoiler

14429139457_912ab082dc_o.jpg

51831774712_953ab4d073_o.png

51831774727_5947b31df5_o.png

In the northwestern corner of Los Altos, Santiago Bay is a thriving port city with Spanish roots.

I overhauled the Merchants' look to dig deeper into the nickname's seafaring history. I turned the static sail logo into a roundel that features a clipper ship and is inspired by the numerous Los Angeles Clippers concepts online. I gave the Merchants new pirate-style wordmarks (I thought that it would be similar to Captain Morgan rum, but I could be wrong?) with elements from the untouchable monogram (one of my personal favorites). I kinda brightened up the color scheme as well, which itself was taken from the Amarillo Sod Poodles MiLB team.

The jerseys remain relatively the same as the original drawings, but the front numbers have been removed. A gold jersey  and a throwback vest (inspired by what the Pittsburgh Pirates used to wear) has been added to the jersey rotation!

• Like 7

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the Alton Baseball League (8/30 Santiago Bay Merchants)
9 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I've been trying to figure your feedback about Garrison, and I'm wondering what you meant when you said "dark brown T-stripe setup on the sleeve" . Did you mean something along the lines of the Mets' racing stripe jerseys? I'll rethink how the chevrons are incorporated into the logos and the uniforms, and I'll definitely make the cap logos cream-colored. I tried out your metallic gold suggestion but it kinda just muddied up the look; the rationale behind that shade of gold was to be an in-between color to complement the brown and the jersey base color instead of highlighting the wordmark.

Yeah, sorry about that weird phrasing... It's like the Mets racing stripes with an extra bar; I'm not sure what they're called, but I meant the stripes that the Cardinals wore in the '40s. So something like this was my idea: 

BkuzNMF.png

Using the gold color as an "in-between color" rather than a visible accent color is fair; so maybe you'd rather make all the chevrons brown...?

I love the wordmarks you've used for Santiago Bay! That font really has an excellent pirate-y vibe, the wavy path for it awesome, and the drop-shadow really elegantly keeps the red and yellow from bleeding together.

The cap monogram is really nice too. I'd consider going red outline + white drop-shadow on the monogram, and picking either bevels or inlines to use on both the wordmark and the cap logo, rather than mixing and matching.

I'm totally on board with the yellow pinstripes at home, and despite my usual preference for counter-colored brims, I think the cap colorations as you have them pair just right with the jerseys.

The ship on the roundel logo looks good.  I know it's supposed to be "exiting" the inner circle, but I think I'd like to see the back of the ship too, since right now it feels a bit unbalanced. Not feeling those "vinyl record" lines either, so that'd kill two birds with one stone.

Anyways, you've done more excellent work here!

Santiago bay feels classic, I really like  it. Also, who are this league’s powerhouses, and are there any team anniversaries this season?

Love the newest set. I was wondering if you had tried the scripts without the texture. It almost seems like murky from far away and I'm wondering if that's why. I don't think it needs that darker red.