The College Hockey Thread

Bmac

• 1 month later...

Auburn's club hockey team recently debuted a new navy sweater. It was designed to celebrate Auburn's traditions, so a few key details are silhouetted underneath the stripes.

• Like 1

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, colinturner95 said:

Not sure how those got approved when those numbers aren't even close to legible... 

The NCAA seems to only pay attention to football and basketball when it comes to legibility issues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

Not College Hockey but University Hockey, as I watch the championship game today, my alma mater Alberta Golden Bears probably hold the record for most usage of a single logo on a single uniform set and I can't recall if I've ever posted it on the boards yet.

There's eight, count 'em, eight GUBA's (the name of the mascot/logo).

_big_2020_01_17goldenbearshockey_2_49403

The green jersey and the gold jersey are slightly better as neither use GUBA as the front crest and the golds also don't use it as the shoulder patch, but they're still rocking seven and six GUBA's respectively.

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Not College Hockey but University Hockey, as I watch the championship game today, my alma mater Alberta Golden Bears probably hold the record for most usage of a single logo on a single uniform set and I can't recall if I've ever posted it on the boards yet.

The green jersey and the gold jersey are slightly better as neither use GUBA as the front crest and the golds also don't use it as the shoulder patch, but they're still rocking seven and six GUBA's respectively.

Logos on hockey socks is a trend that needs to die sooner rather than later. 

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:11 AM, monkeypower said:

Never saw the socks like this before. Safe to say, never want to see that again.

• 5 months later...

I know it is the "Sports Logo News" section, but I felt this was the most appropriate place for anyone interest. Since January I've had a gut feeling that UNLV will announce their jump to D1 NCAA this year. Originally it was based on loose context like:

- UNLV's ACHA program skyrocketing to unbelievable heights in a very tight timeframe (quality and funding).

- The US Hockey Hall of Fame Game is being hosted in Vegas this year, featuring North Dakota and ASU (a desert school that made the jump from club to NCAA in a similar way).

- ASU's D1 ACHA team will travel up with their big brother to play a few games against UNLV the same weekend.

Yes, I know the game always includes North Dakota and I know that it commonly takes place in Las Vegas, but it just feels like an event that UNLV could use as a spotlight. I also just learned that UNLV will be playing the defending NCAA national champions in a couple days. Could mean absolutely nothing, but Lindenwood stopped in Colorado to play an exhibition game against DU around the same time last year, and Lindenwood is now D1 NCAA.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows anything or has similar suspicions. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BoysClub said:

I know it is the "Sports Logo News" section, but I felt this was the most appropriate place for anyone interest. Since January I've had a gut feeling that UNLV will announce their jump to D1 NCAA this year. Originally it was based on loose context like:

- UNLV's ACHA program skyrocketing to unbelievable heights in a very tight timeframe (quality and funding).

- The US Hockey Hall of Fame Game is being hosted in Vegas this year, featuring North Dakota and ASU (a desert school that made the jump from club to NCAA in a similar way).

- ASU's D1 ACHA team will travel up with their big brother to play a few games against UNLV the same weekend.

Yes, I know the game always includes North Dakota and I know that it commonly takes place in Las Vegas, but it just feels like an event that UNLV could use as a spotlight. I also just learned that UNLV will be playing the defending NCAA national champions in a couple days. Could mean absolutely nothing, but Lindenwood stopped in Colorado to play an exhibition game against DU around the same time last year, and Lindenwood is now D1 NCAA.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows anything or has similar suspicions. 

I think it's a matter of when, but nothing seems concrete at this point. Plus they'll need a heavy influx of cash to make the jump. Difficult, not impossible.

When I played against the club team in 2016, they were a D2 ACHA club team and were already a formidable opponent. And they're slated to play against the UAA Seawolves this season, the NCAA Division 1 team. Again, I think its a matter of when, not if. But not sure "when" is coming. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 9/29/2022 at 1:16 PM, BoysClub said:

On 9/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, colinturner95 said:

I think it's a matter of when, but nothing seems concrete at this point. Plus they'll need a heavy influx of cash to make the jump. Difficult, not impossible.

When I played against the club team in 2016, they were a D2 ACHA club team and were already a formidable opponent. And they're slated to play against the UAA Seawolves this season, the NCAA Division 1 team. Again, I think its a matter of when, not if. But not sure "when" is coming. 

The more NCAA hockey teams the merrier. I just hope they aren’t a big of goons as ASU was when they jumped. Dirtiest team I ever saw… I’m also interested to see how long it takes St. Thomas, who jumped from D3 to D1, to become competitive. With their location in St. Paul, I fully expect them to surpass Bemidji in  couple of years.

I still can’t believe the state of Illinois is a top producer of college hockey talent (outside of the 3 Ms of course) and yet there isn’t a D1 program in the entire state. Either U of I or UIC or both should have D1 teams. But I digress.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, Mingjai said:

The more NCAA hockey teams the merrier. I just hope they aren’t a big of goons as ASU was when they jumped. Dirtiest team I ever saw… I’m also interested to see how long it takes St. Thomas, who jumped from D3 to D1, to become competitive. With their location in St. Paul, I fully expect them to surpass Bemidji in  couple of years.

I still can’t believe the state of Illinois is a top producer of college hockey talent (outside of the 3 Ms of course) and yet there isn’t a D1 program in the entire state. Either U of I or UIC or both should have D1 teams. But I digress.

I know we're getting away from uniform discussion here a bit, but I think Illinois is the next Big Ten school to make the D1 jump. They were going through the process of a feasibility study starting in 2018, but I'm sure Covid played a hand in the university scaling back adding sports. I still think they're close to the jump though. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

7 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I know we're getting away from uniform discussion here a bit, but I think Illinois is the next Big Ten school to make the D1 jump. They were going through the process of a feasibility study starting in 2018, but I'm sure Covid played a hand in the university scaling back adding sports. I still think they're close to the jump though. 

The University of Illinois was pursuing plans for a $100 million hockey arena in 2020 when the pandemic hit. Then in May,it pulled the plug on the project after supply chain constraints increased the cost by $30 million. That seems to have effectively put an end to its pursuit of D1 hockey for now. 

• Like 1