Infrared41's Best And Worst Presented by BBTV - 2021 Week 9

BBTV

Standard disclaimer: This thread is for the best and worst uniform matchups for any particular week.  These are simply my opinions, you're welcome (and encouraged!) to disagree. 

• Usually, the color matchup is the biggest factor.  While I like both the Raiders and Panthers uniforms, Raiders in standard road vs Carolina in standard home probably isn't going to win just due to similarity.  Same with Seahawks in mono-navy against Patriots in their standard road.  
  • I'm neither a modernist nor traditionalist.  I think that things that look good to me look good, and things that look bad look bad.  There's modern uniforms I love, and some that I hate.  A uniform design could ruin even a spectacular color matchup - or maybe it won't.  It's unlikely that the Titans or Cardinals will ever show up on the 'best' list, regardless of matchup.  But maybe they will.  I also don't automatically penalize teams for wearing monochrome - It's likely that the mono-navy Seahawks will find their way to the best list on occasion, however the Chiefs in all red won't.
  • Lighting and weather play a role too.  Some matchups just look better in bright natural light, some look great in snow, and even the best one might look crappy in a dome under 5,000 kelvin light.
  • Going to try and do 3+2 (three best, 2 worst) but in reality, I'll just do whatever I want.  Also, I rarely watch games that aren't the Eagles, so I'm going mostly by watching highlights or google searching for images of the games.

Here we go for Week 9:

Best

1. Packers at Chiefs

These lists probably make it seem like I'm a boomer that only likes old-school uniforms with stripes and block fonts, which is certainly not the case - but when things look good they look good, and it doesn't get much better than red, green, and yellow clashing under natural sun.  So glad this matchup wasn't ruined by anyone going with throwbacks or the Chiefs going with their dumb mono red.

iq5tks24tbi1jj54dsnl.jpg

2. Chargers at Eagles

This also falls under "what could have been" - had the Chargers worn yellow pants, this might have been 1b rather than 2.  Either way, especially at the beginning when there was still daylight, this was a great looking game between a contemporary-but-traditional uniform (Eagles) and a neo-traditional uniform (Chargers).  I just made that term up, but hopefully you know what I mean.

w5016vcfgmyddl2bsuo9.jpg

3.  Bills at Jacksonville

This was tough, but I'm going with it.  Bills might have looked better if they had better socks and went back to gray or blue masks, but this was still an attractive matchup between traditional and another "neo-traditional" or "neo-minimalist" set.  

cmgugfxlu3ehnpk7evrr.jpg

Honorable Mention

Texans at Dolphins

Had Miami worn aqua pants, or their throwbacks, this probably overtakes Bills/Jags.  Either way, this was a decent looking game, just not quite enough color for me thanks to Miami's mono-white.

mixvf9asw9ckh2zdatxn.jpg

What Could Have Been

Denver at Cowboys

I don't care for Denver's uniforms, but the colors here really worked for me.  I actually didn't mind the Cowboys red-stripe tribute, as it's kind of a throwback and not strictly a pandering thing, but it messed with the aesthetics of the game so it doesn't make the list.

wjalo7r0xe6rpsbddagc.jpg

Worst

1. Falcons at Saints

Too.  Much.  Black.  Especially under the dim lights.  Just awful.

lrzkwdiuhq40adrkhpck.jpg

2.  Jets at Colts

Honestly, the Jets didn't look too bad!  Certainly they have no business wearing black, and they looked like a college team, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to look.  The Colts on the other hand?  Trash.  

oca5ijhkh4yu68h7sitx.jpg

GO!!!!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm going to need a guest author for next week's games.  @infrared41, do you want to come out of retirement for a week?  Could be "Infrared41's best and worst presented by BBTV presented by Infrared41"?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

34 minutes ago, Sport said:

I think this is as good as the Bengals and Browns can possibly look against each other

1351910673.0.jpg

I think Cleveland in white pants would look better, but only if Cincinnati is wearing the black pants. If both wore white pants it's be a good look too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I think this is as good as the Bengals and Browns can possibly look against each other

1351910673.0.jpg

It certainly turned out better than the other color-versus-same-color game of the day...

AP21311757288534.jpg?w=525

Now, admittedly I'm a little biased since orange is one of my favorite colors (it's a Florida-boy thing), but the two uniforms styles are different enough that the contrast in style wins it for me.  Coincidentally, Cincy looks best in black-over-black with this look; I'd like to see them try that with the orange socks, though. And Cleveland...that's about as perfect a uniform as you can get (plus it helps that they seem to be the one team other than the Chefs that's figured "it" out about striped white socks with white jerseys). 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess a few thoughts here.

1: while I thought bengals vs browns was really good, I think it could have been better if cincy was wearing white pants.

2: I think the colts blue pants are good but I think they should only be worn with their road jerseys

3: the saints need to burn their black yoga pants ASAP. I am already not a fan of stripeless pants but, they look even worse in black.

Worst was definitely Rams-Titans. Colts-Jets and Falcons-Saints were bad too. Everything else had at least one good uniform carrying it.

Haven't seen Raiders-Giants mentioned. Real nice looking game that I think works better than LV in black and NY in white. Would be a beautiful Super Bowl matchup

USATSI_17115729_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=9

7 hours ago, tBBP said:

It certainly turned out better than the other color-versus-same-color game of the day...

AP21311757288534.jpg?w=525

I thought the purple bowl was well played with the Ravens going as much black as possible and and Vikings using as much white as possible. Also I really dont mind the black leggings look on a team with a black helmet and black facemask, and the Vikings white on white is one of my favorite uniforms ever.

7 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Worst was definitely Rams-Titans. Colts-Jets and Falcons-Saints were bad too. Everything else had at least one good uniform carrying it.

Haven't seen Raiders-Giants mentioned. Real nice looking game that I think works better than LV in black and NY in white.

That was exactly my thoughts as well.  LV's whites are a fine uniform, but aren't going to show up in too many of these rankings unless it's a perfect matchup.  LV in black vs NYG in white with their red and blue?   Almost certainly near the top.

34 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That was exactly my thoughts as well.  LV's whites are a fine uniform, but aren't going to show up in too many of these rankings unless it's a perfect matchup.  LV in black vs NYG in white with their red and blue?   Almost certainly near the top.

You misread my comment, I'm saying the matchup we got is better than if the Raiders had been wearing black vs the Giants in white

A solid list. I agree with Packers-Chiefs being the clear #1, the red & gold looked great against the gold & green. Chargers-Eagles would have been much improved with the Chargers in gold pants. Bills-Jags was about as good as it could be, too. I think Browns-Bengals could deserve a spot on the best list, I wish Cleveland wore white pants though, it’s interesting that they barely ever seem to wear that particular combo. It would have worked great to minimize the orange here.

Texans-Dolphins is a solid Honorable Mention, the Phins wearing aqua pants would have definitely improved that matchup, though.

As for the worst list, Falcons-Saints is also a clear #1, with both teams culpable for bringing way too much black into the matchup when they should have embraced other colors (for the Falcons, white, and for the Saints, gold). I didn’t think Jets-Colts was too bad, the Jets in black pants turned out not as bad as expected (the helmet tends to look black in certain lighting, so it worked out), and the Colts Color Rush isn’t one of the worst offenders, in my mind.

For this week, my list would be:

Best

1. Packers at Chiefs

2. Chargers at Eagles

Honorable Mentions

1. Browns at Bengals

2.  Texans at Dolphins

3. Bills at Jaguars

4. Jets at Colts

Worst 

1. Falcons at Saints

Archived