USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

23 minutes ago, Echo said:

So, what's the Over/Under on how many games this league plays before it suspends operations?

Both the AAF and XFL (second iteration) were quite popular in their recent attempts. The former folded due to some absolutely bizarre mismanagement, and the latter due to COVID. One of these new leagues will work it's just a matter of timing. The interest is there, especially with the rise of betting and fantasy

• Like 23

37 minutes ago, Echo said:

So, what's the Over/Under on how many games this league plays before it suspends operations?

Barring another man made catastrophe or a tornado that destroys all usable stadiums in the Birmingham/Montgomery/Mobile areas, I'd expect them to complete the season. 

• Like 11

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'll be curious to hear why they selected the cities they did. I could see them being chosen for geographical reasons, since the furthest west they go is Houston. 

Probably cheaper to house players in those spots, rather than location. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably cheaper to house players in those spots, rather than location. 

That's a good point. I wonder if the league at all feels limited by its decision to stick with USFL brands. I'm sure it's cheaper, considering they likely own all that intellectual property. But it makes it harder to then place a team in, say, St. Louis or Columbus or Charlotte where there wasn't an original USFL brand. 

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They absolutely nailed the logos.  There's not one of them that is less than excellent.

I am going to have to beg to differ on that.  I think they did well on some, but some are definite downgrades from the originals.

Best:  Breakers, good modern update.  Gamblers, basically left it alone from 1984, Stallions, could be good but I need to see what the helmets look like. 

Mediocre/Decent but not ideal:  Maulers, a decent upgrade of a pretty odd logo to begin with.   Generals, adding blue to the logo is a plus, but the placement of the stars entirely with the laurels seems odd to me. 

Downgrades:  Bandits-- While I get what they are going for, the awkward position of the horses legs make this a downgrade for me.  The design made for the A11FL was better. 

Stars-- Why add orange?  It is like they are trying to recreate the original but could not figure out how to do that with just red and gold. 

Panthers-- That panther is not as good as the original, too linear. 

Not horrible by any stretch, but some odd choices made.  The Philly secondary with the Liberty Bell is also a weird logo.  I do like the Breakers logo as part of a NOLA look. 

Let's see if the helmets come close to being as cool as the originals, especially keeping an eye out for Michigan and New Orleans. 

• Like 2

Other than the Stars logo, which I think improved, and the Gamblers logo which is virtually unchanged, the logos are a downgrade from the original classics, IMHO.

The Panther head really looks weaker without it being solid...the head blends into the same-color background.

The Stallions looks like a middle-school logo.  There's nothing defining the bottom of the neck...how's that going to work on a helmet?  The "B" logo looks like it took heavy inspiration from the Birmingham Steel.

The Maulers looks like clip-art.  The work definitely looks weaker than the original.

That's some thoughts off the top of my head.  Just really disappointed.

spacer.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Downgrades:  Bandits-- While I get what they are going for, the awkward position of the horses legs make this a downgrade for me.  The design made for the A11FL was better.

8AxEI9m.png

• Like 3

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

52 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I am going to have to beg to differ on that.  I think they did well on some, but some are definite downgrades from the originals.

Best:  Breakers, good modern update.  Gamblers, basically left it alone from 1984, Stallions, could be good but I need to see what the helmets look like. 

Mediocre/Decent but not ideal:  Maulers, a decent upgrade of a pretty odd logo to begin with.   Generals, adding blue to the logo is a plus, but the placement of the stars entirely with the laurels seems odd to me. 

Stars-- Why add orange?  It is like they are trying to recreate the original but could not figure out how to do that with just red and gold. 

Panthers-- That panther is not as good as the original, too linear. 

Not horrible by any stretch, but some odd choices made.  The Philly secondary with the Liberty Bell is also a weird logo.  I do like the Breakers logo as part of a NOLA look. 

Let's see if the helmets come close to being as cool as the originals, especially keeping an eye out for Michigan and New Orleans. 

The one logo I think of as an upgrade is the Stars.  I always felt either the Stars or Stallions needed a third color added to differentiate them since they were both red and gold.  I've tinkered with the Stars logo and felt like adding black or navy blue helped, but I think the orange is a good choice considering the star is changing from yellow to red and orange is in between on the spectrum.

• Like 2