USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

Ok, we have seen all 8 uniforms.  Here are my thoughts on the last 4:

New Jersey:  Exactly what I expected and  very solid.  A.

MIchigan:  Close to great, but not a fan of the sleeve stripes using white over champagne and the logo is not as good as the original. 

New Orleans:  Really disappointed here.  In my mind this version of the wave helmet is just not anywhere near as good as the original.   I think that going with the lighter blue as the main color and having greater difference in tone between the two  blues would have helped.  The sleeve waves don't work for me at all.    Just overall downgrade over origninals.  I give it  a C. 

Philadelphia:  Basically on point, but not a huge fan of the striping, especially on the helmet where it seems entirely gratuitious.  B, maybe B-.  

Overall, they did a good job of modernizing, but I think a few misses along the way.    As someone currently obsessed with the USFL (see my thread in the concepts board)  I was hoping for more. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The original Breakers uniform is one of my all time favorite uniforms... ever.  These are pretty nice, but I would've preferred the sky blue as the main jersey color, and the royal as secondary/trim. 

Still nice, tho.

Same here.  I, too, was hoping for the lighter blue but when I saw the coach's shirt, I figured the writing was on the wall.

My rankings and impressions:

1. NJ - Total old-school, adding the stars on the shoulder. Nice shout-out to the OG.

2. Mich - Terrific update of an iconic look. Glad they didn't try to reinvent the wheel (hello, Rams?). But - are there two tones of pants? 

3. NO - Wish the helmet matched the curves of the logo (sleeves too). 

4. Bir - Nice mix of the old (basically the uniform) and the new (logo). 

5. TB - I get what they're doing, I think. Stripe pattern on helmet is nice. 

6. PHI - Wow, went with yellow instead of gold. Probably the biggest "redesign."

7. Pit - Wish they had used the gray pants and darker purple. Too much orange on the home. 

8. Hou - Why two grays? Why side panels? This is a Nike-level redesign.

• Like 1

Lot's of good designs here. 

The Breakers actual jerseys are in some way close to a concept I did for a breakers team, so it's pretty cool seeing how that would look in real life.

I'd say USFL Breakers did a better job then me with the helmet, and sleeve pattern for sure, but I'll stick with the pants and socks on my concept.

FL0ldUzVEBIvS6D?format=jpg&name=900x900

SD_H1.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

That was the original USFL for you.  What's more is Memphis, Chicago and Arizona also used red.

I always found that a little odd about the original league. You had Birmingham and Philly (below) essentially sharing color schemes. Same for Tampa and Memphis, Houston and Oklahoma. Makes me wonder whether the league didn't just let owners do as they wanted when it came to branding choices. 

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I always found that a little odd about the original league. You had Birmingham and Philly (below) essentially sharing color schemes. Same for Tampa and Memphis, Houston and Oklahoma. Makes me wonder whether the league didn't just let owners do as they wanted when it came to branding choices. 

spacer.png

I think this was a case of manufacturers not wanting to rock the boat like they are fine doing today. If adidas or Nike made the uniforms back then, they'd still look like they do in that picture. 

35 minutes ago, ralphz said:

8. Hou - Why two grays? Why side panels? This is a Nike-level redesign.

Nike would have added a gradient pattern. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png

Yep.  I always wondered if Philly and Birm were influenced by the 49ers' SB victory right when the league was being founded as the color schemes were pretty much the same.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Still a better uniform than the Commanders...

I want to agree with this. The only thing I have against it are the side panels. Which, should be moved to the the sleeves. Ironically, the Stars’ striping fits well with the Commanders identity more so than the Stars.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I want to agree with this. The only thing I have against it are the side panels. Which, should be moved to the the sleeves. Ironically, the Stars’ striping fits well with the Commanders identity more so than the Stars.

I've never been that opposed to side panels in theory personally. But just in general, as soon as I saw this I though the numbers and the uniformity between home/away was instantly better than Washington while having a similar color scheme. 

1.  Stars  - they fixed everything I disliked about the original look. 

2.  Panthers - Beautiful update that is pretty true to the original.

3.  Breakers - The original was a hard act to follow and while it's very nice, some tweaks could still make it the best set.

4.  Bandits -  All four of these tie in my book, being sensible updates that stayed true to the originals while still being fresh.  All are very solid and a very pleasant surprise in how well tradition was honored.

4.  Stallions

4.  Generals

4.  Gamblers

8.  Maulers - Absolute dumpster fire.  I would send the whole look back and make them start over.  The logo is weak.  The dropping of gray was a downgrade.  They look like the old Euro League Galaxy or the offspring of the AAF Apollos.  Not sure why they decided to deviate so far from the original look; purple, gray and orange was such a unique look and the old unis were prefect.  The only things missing from this trainwreck are gradients and piping.

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

There's an odd heaviness to that Tampa set. Way too many black outlines and shadows on the numbers. Even the alt-logo on the sleeve seems too heavily outlined in black. The red sleeve and neck treatments on the white uniform somehow add to this effect. I'd rather see the white jersey simplified to match the red one, even if it means making it more plain.

The original Bandits were far more subtle in how they employed black. These road jerseys worked really well with black numbers. 

spacer.png

Disagree on all points.  But just my opinion.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

6 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Non-video look at Tampa Bay:

Personally, I think these are top-2 in the league.  The stripe on the uniform top continues on to the pants, which is what HAS to be the case IF you go there.  Nothing too radical with the numbers, the block shadow minimized the black.  And I personally think the tertiary logo on the sleeve is perfect as a foil to the main logo.  Also appreciate that they went grey/silver pants to match the silver helmet for both sets.  No monochrome here - good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nuordr said:

Houston Gamblers: 

https://fb.watch/beaHufIMCG/

spacer.png

I hope it's just the lighting here, but I am not liking the 2 different pants greys.  If there wanna go charcoal, I'm good with all that.  But these promos don't show the secondary logo on the uniforms (the "football H").  Mis-matched side panels don't work for me.  And I hope they didn't borrow TB's pants for this promo...that would just be ..... wrong.