USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

I love them all. The breakers are sexy as hell. Michigan gave me everything I wanted. The Generals, I mean... *chefs kiss*

Begs the question: How did the WFT cøck up their unis so badly?

• Like 1

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Every single one of these uniforms is better than what the Washington Commanders projectile vomited at us. 

3 minutes ago, JQK said:

What did you expect from a Dan Snyder operation? 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

IMO, they missed a chance here to go Navy-Red instead of Red-Navy.  As in - Navy primary jersey, Navy numbers on the white jersey, outlined in red.  It could have been a nautical navy, playing off the "water" as primary.  It would have been the only dark blue in the league (NOLA is royal blue), and really go for a red-white-blue combo (red helmet).  So close......

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Michigan wins

YES! Michigan did the smart thing going full-size helmet logo.  The 1 downside - no number outlines (light blue!).  Plum was a good jersey choice (instead of the champagne).  Contrasting pants help the look.  I hope both pants (home and away) end up being the SAME color.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EJ_Barlik said:

IMO, they missed a chance here to go Navy-Red instead of Red-Navy.  As in - Navy primary jersey, Navy numbers on the white jersey, outlined in red.  It could have been a nautical navy, playing off the "water" as primary.  It would have been the only dark blue in the league (NOLA is royal blue), and really go for a red-white-blue combo (red helmet).  So close......

Except they're the Generals, not the Admirals...

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

4 minutes ago, JQK said:

I love them all. The breakers are sexy as hell. Michigan gave me everything I wanted. The Generals, I mean... *chefs kiss*

It's a good question, but I think it's fair to say that the bar was pretty low with these, as were the expectations. Most NFL redesigns face the opposite and tend to overdo it, making us clamor for simpler looks that don't make the same mistakes.

I think that's a big reason why the USFL uniforms are so well-liked — all they had to do was offer updates on familiar looks and, for the most part, they nailed it. But there are also details on all of these that we'd crucify if they were included in an NFL roll out.  

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Helmet looks fantastic

That’s about it

FL0m2dfVEBMuX8Q?format=jpg&name=large

Missed on a couple things here.  1 - needed the liberty bell alt logo on the sleeves.  2 -Striped side panels????? Ah, no.  On the positive side, I do like the number font and they they didn't go monochrome with either combo.  Good helmet.

The good. 

Michigan- Just beautiful. This uniform is gorgeous. 

New Jersey- It's a simple look that does everything right. 

Birmingham- Another beautiful uniform. My only nitpick is the lack of gold on the pants. 

New Orleans- Nice update of the classic look. And dare I say better? The shoulder waves are take or leave but I love the helmet. 

The ok. 

Tampa Bay- These kind of underwhelmed. I love the OG Bandits unis, even if they were just OSU threads. They still looked great. And Michigan and Birmingham both proved this league is willing to do proper sleeve stripes so...why not? 

It's not a bad uniform, just a bit black heavy. 

Houston- I actually like both colour schemes. They just need to pick one. 

The bad. 

Philadelphia- I get what they were going for but the repeating pattern all over just doesn't work. It's a case where just a bit more restraint would have made it a fantastic uniform. 

Pittsburgh- I just don't like the colours. Simple as that. Purple and orange just don't work for me. 

I'd say this was mostly a win. And again- even the worst uniform unveiled today was better than the Commanders' new unis. 

Also can the USFL and NFL trade the Panthers for the Lions? 

• Like 4

Since no one posted a Maulers graphic to reply to, I'll just say I don't think they are too bad, but I do agree that grey pants and/or a grey helmet might have made a huge difference in the look.  Also, they had a chance to put the secondary logo SOMEWHERE (helmet or the sleeve) and choose not to.  Opportunity missed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I always found that a little odd about the original league. You had Birmingham and Philly (below) essentially sharing color schemes. Same for Tampa and Memphis, Houston and Oklahoma. Makes me wonder whether the league didn't just let owners do as they wanted when it came to branding choices. 

spacer.png

If you spend some time reading about the interactions between USFL owners, you'll find out that it was nothing short of a minor miracle that both teams showed up fully clothed for every game, no matter the color schemes.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

37 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

If you spend some time reading about the interactions between USFL owners, you'll find out that it was nothing short of a minor miracle that both teams showed up fully clothed for every game, no matter the color schemes.

All the more reason why the Gunslingers aren’t a part of this reboot. Given that the OG Gunslingers would’ve folded after the USFL’s final season, that makes sense.  

• Like 1