Infrared41's Best And Worst Presented by BBTV - 2021 Week 11

BBTV

Big thanks for @infrared41 for coming out of semi-retirmenet to pinch hit last week!  I'm now back from a bit of a holiday and here to present another list.

Standard disclaimer: you know what?  F the standard disclaimer.  I think match ups that look good to me look good to me, and ones that look bad to me look bad to me.  I'll try to explain why for each game.

Week 11 is a tough week because there were a lot of solid matchups, but I did my best to filter out the best from the rest.  Here we go.

Best

1. Pittsburgh at Chargers

The Chargers might be getting a little more of their fair share at the top of these lists, but that's what happens when you have great colors that pair exceptionally well with just about every other team's.  Had they worn their yellow pants, there would have been too much of that for this to rank #1, but their white pants made their yellow just enough to look great without over-yellowing the game.  Pittsburgh's black helmets gave just enough contrast in this one to make it a close #1.

ttqpnbtj3dyrd0aejsae.jpg

2.  49ers at Jaguars

Got to watch some of this (10AM PST... how do you guys do this?) and it looked fantastic.  The photo doesn't do it justice, but the brightness of the Jags teal along with their black helmet vs the gold and red of the 49ers looked like a classic.  I'm a fan of the Jags black pants with teal jersey, but the white pants were the best for this particular matchup.

blqvu5miqblmbtuztql7.jpg

3.  Lions at Browns

I still think the Lions mickey-mouse sleeve wordmarks are bush league, but the color clashes worked for me here.  I loved the Browns gray facemask because I think that gray, brown, and orange are a very autumnal combo, and while the gray mask is gone, the Lions gray, when matched against Cleveland's orange and brown, provided that fall flavor.

pos8l68u1w6hwdxbv47u.jpg

Honorable Mentions

Bengals at Raiders

Didn't think I'd like this one, but all the gray, black, and white caused the orange of the Bengals to pop really well.

wlrhqwdxykrgi1f7ouoq.jpg

Packers at Vikings

Would have looked better on natural grass under natural light at Lambeau with the uniforms reversed, but still a good match.

fyxtcyr3qpgdzplldhiv.jpg

What could have been

Texans at Titans

The colors here are just great.  If the Texans had actual professional uniforms and not gimmick-ass sleeve swords and absurd fonts, this could have been a "best".

vzwusyxpypdswza5zp47.jpg

Worst

1.  Saints at Eagles

Had both teams been in their proper uniforms (Saints in gold pants) this one would have been in the best list.  But all black vs all white (especially with the Eagles dark green helmet clashing with the all black) puts this in the worst column.

ztp8w3phtkpvxdtnlxqv.jpg

2.  Cardinals at Seahawks

love the Seahawks mono-navy uniform, but when paired with the Cardinals clown suits, the whole game just looks like an amateur mess.  I think this is the only matchup that could bring the Seahawks uniforms down to this level in my book.

ws4aetcwq8p1uhiyefqx.jpg

3.  Washington at Panthers

Similar to the Eagles vs Saints.  All white vs all black, from teams that would have looked fantastic in their normal looks.  It's not as bad as the Eagles vs Saints because at least Carolina's all-black doesn't clash with their silver helmet, but I loathe the WFT's all white, and this was just a bad match.

jeobhwh1e5uoyukcq9wx.jpg

GO!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Totally agree that Jags 49ers was an excellent looking game. I was there and it took me until the 2nd quarter to realize 'wow, this is a great uniform matchup'. I wasn't expecting it to look so good since I'm not a big fan of the Jags uniforms. 

Chargers Steelers looks awesome, they should all look that good!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Yeah what is it about Seattle's uniform that works so much better than any other monochrome? Their mono-navy is legitimately better than any other combo they have but I could never place why

probably because it was designed from day 1 to be worn that way unlike most other monochromes which are the result of mix-and-matching.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lately I’ve been playing a little game where I look back at how recent matchups compare to how the same matchups would have looked ~5 years ago. For the top four this week alone, the results show staggering evidence for the league being far better off aesthetically than it was not too long ago.

C2-DA32-E1-848-A-450-E-953-A-CEB91545-AC
51-E58-D1-C-ADEB-4951-9-AAD-63-D16685-B7

CB1-F2-D9-A-3-BFF-4-A8-E-85-D9-08-DE72-A
BF23-D250-6-C43-4983-8-E14-047854-A65-DE

This was a really good week for uniform matchups so, I imagine it was difficult to cut down matchups from your best list.  Here are my thoughts

TB-NYG: The Giants color rush uniforms as usual, look awesome and should honestly just become their road uniforms. The ones they have now just have a little too much red for my tastes. I think the Bucs look at their best with the red jersey/white pants combo. The night lights combined with the great color palettes and great uniforms equal an aesthetically pleasing game.

ARI-SEA: I am still surprised the Cardinals have held on to these uniforms for so long when they look incredibly dated. Ditto with the Seahawks but, I know they aren't changing theirs because they won a championship in them. All in all the NFC west outside of the 49ers might be the worst looking division in the NFL.

HOU-TEN: It really sucks that this game was good looking 4 years ago. Now? It is one of the more mediocre ones. For starters, I have the same opinion about the Texans as I do the Columbus Blue Jackets, their uniforms are kind of boring. I think the Texans should either brighten the blue that they are using or put more emphasis on red.  The Titans still look like a bad college team.

CLE-DET: I always enjoy watching the Browns play the Lions. I don't know what it is but, their colors actually work so well together. It's a pity that they don't play each other more often.

This was a really good week for uniform matchups. Personally, although it's a close call, I'd probably put Lions-Browns as my #1. They don't play each other often, and their colors play off of each other wonderfully. Steelers-Chargers was great too, and the colors for 9ers-Jags were beautiful. Packers-Vikings always looks great, I don't know if I could ever leave it off of my "Best" list.

Here's my list for this week:

Best

1. Lions at Browns

2. Steelers at Chargers

3. Packers at Vikings

Honorable Mentions

1. 49ers at Jaguars

2. Cowboys at Chiefs

Worst

1. Saints at Eagles

2. Cardinals at Seahawks

10 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This was a really good week for uniform matchups.

It really was.  My top 2 were no-brainers (to me), it was just a matter of which order.  #3 was tougher.  It was also tough to exclude Ravens vs Bears (Ravens in purple pants made that so much more appealing than it would have been had they been in white or black) but some weeks it's just going to be harder to make the list than others.  It would have been even tougher had the Eagles and Saints worn proper uniforms - they would have earned at least an HM.

Chiefs v Cowboys didn't do anything for me.  It may expose some inconsistencies in my tastes, but that matchup just looked "old".  I despise the mismatched Cowboys uniforms, but they've made the list before and their "classic" look does create some terrific matchups, but when paired with the Chiefs, it just didn't look "classic" to me - it looked "old".  I don't know the right words to express what I'm trying to say, other than not every traditional v traditional matchup is going to make my list, because reasons.

49ers vs Jags, when I glanced up at the TV and saw it, I was instantly like "whoa... that looks great".  I was stunned.  I don't do that often - maybe it's because it's such a rare matchup, or maybe as another poster pointed out, the previous times they met looked like train wrecks thanks to the Jags.

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

Got to watch some of this (10AM PST... how do you guys do this?)

One of the Top 4 biggest things I miss about living on the West Coast. I'd roll out of my bed, meet my Bengals buddy at a bar across the street from my apartment, eat their delicious breakfast burrito, have a bloody mary or two, leave at 1 properly toasted and have enough day left to come down before work on Monday morning. It's the best. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jets-Dolphins is definitely in my bottom 3, probably only above Texans-Titans. Can't stand NY's striping/helmet, and Miami's are so corporate and lifeless that even their best combo is a solid meh for me (not that W/A/A is close to being their best combo). Game looked even worse on the broadcast cameras. Bonus pic at the bottom of a player getting his ballerina tutu torn apart

USATSI_17208189-e1637695909258.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

prfxig4ehpomkobrlhbj.jpg

32 and 75 look like such dufuses.  Dolphins 52 too.  75 looks like a complete slob.  Can't believe nobody stops these guys before they leave the locker room to tell them how ridiculous they look.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, BBTV said:

Standard disclaimer: you know what?  F the standard disclaimer.  I think match ups that look good to me look good to me, and ones that look bad to me look bad to me. 

I should have done that after the very first week I did this thing.

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Chiefs v Cowboys didn't do anything for me.  

I meant to originally put Cowboys-Chiefs in my Honorable Mentions (it’s updated now). The Cowboys inconsistencies do bug me, for sure, but I thought their multiple blues played well off of the Chiefs red & gold.

I used to think the Cowboys should just simplify to navy & silver across the board, but now I’m not as sure what they should do. There’s something just inherently “classic” at this point about the Cowboys royal numbers on the white jersey. I guess it’s just been part of their brand for so long that it’d feel wrong to see it go.

I think if the Cowboys went with a dark royal,  steel blue (similar to their pants color now), and white, they would look great. I think that could fix their inconsistencies, and their classic white uniform wouldn’t be altered too much. (Steel blue pants and helmet, white and royal jerseys and socks)

On 11/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, BBTV said:

ttqpnbtj3dyrd0aejsae.jpg

What the hell is 24 doing there just standing around while the ball carrier is still charging forward just steps in front of him?  Shouldn't he at least pretend to be playing football?

2 minutes ago, lgbaseball8 said:

I think if the Cowboys went with a dark royal,  steel blue (similar to their pants color now), and white, they would look great. I think that could fix their inconsistencies, and their classic white uniform wouldn’t be altered too much. (Steel blue pants and helmet, white and royal jerseys and socks)

Ditch the black trim on the sleeve stripes too.  Totally unnecessary.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:13 PM, Bathysphere said:

Lately I’ve been playing a little game where I look back at how recent matchups compare to how the same matchups would have looked ~5 years ago. For the top four this week alone, the results show staggering evidence for the league being far better off aesthetically than it was not too long ago.

CB1-F2-D9-A-3-BFF-4-A8-E-85-D9-08-DE72-A

This post made me realize how old these Lions uniforms are. This is their fifth (!?!) season. Time flies.

Archived