Revisiting the XSL (7/20, Racing Club Daytona)

thebutkiker

So, another year has passed and the previous series is left to the past. This is a redux of the XSL, featuring a new presentation mode and several logo changes, along with the use of FIFA Kit Creator for the kits. I hope you don't mind me posting about this again.

This is the XSL. For background, this was a concept league inspired by the creation of the XFL. I wanted to branch away from the MLS and design my own North American league with the inclusion of a Mexican team. The logo of the league was inspired by that of the NBA and MLB. The team names will be explained in their own posts.

Map of the OG20

GQhjDMa.png

As you can see, there are a few redesigns, and a replacement of a Canadian team. Newfoundland Celtic has been replaced by Saskatchewan United, and Charlotte has been renamed to Royal SC Charlotte.  For teams that have been redesigned, they include the Colorado 14ers, Racing Club Daytona, Toronto Marlborough, Montreal Wanderers, and DCFC. The first division to explore will be the Northeast Division, with our first team being the Boston Rovers. 

spacer.png

BOSTON ROVERS F.C.

The United Soccer Association was a professional league that only played for one season in 1967 before merging with the NPSL to form the iconic NASL. During their sole season, they imported teams from Europe and South America and outfitted them with a local team name. One of these teams were the Shamrock Rovers from Dublin, Ireland. The local name they used wasn't far off the original: the Boston Shamrock Rovers, or just Boston Rovers for short. They played their games at Manning Field in Lynn. In this alternate universe, the club stayed alive thanks to the local Irish fan support. Weston Adams continued to own the team as they joined several local soccer leagues throughout the years. After several years of dominance in the Football Alliance of New England, they accepted the invitation to join the XSL. They played their inaugural season at Nickerson Field until the construction of their new stadium across the railroad tracks was built for the second season in the Northeast Division.

spacer.png

Their logo emulates that of the original Shamrock Rovers with a few minor changes. The main logo resembles that of a police badge and the banner on the bottom stays, showcasing the name of the historic club.

spacer.png

Boston is outfitted by Nike, as their shirt sponsor is Samuel Adams and their sleeve sponsor is Draft Kings. Their home resembles the iconic hoops of the Rovers while the away is a darker green with a special pattern that shows the uniqueness of the club.

The next club to be featured will be DCFC.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (1/20, Boston Rovers FC)

DCFC

200 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence ushered in the celebration of the Bicentennial in the United States. There were several events, celebrations, and much more to be done to usher in the festivities of 1975 through 1976. One of these ways to celebrate the Bicentennial was the creation of a soccer club in the nation's capital. With the popularity of the NASL, many more people in the nation were becoming interested in the world's game. In DC, the Washington Diplomats represented the city in the NASL. Two fans of the club, George Ross, and his friend, Howard Kemp, formed the District of Columbia Football Club in early 1976 to celebrate the Bicentennial. They were a semi-pro club that played their games at Greene Stadium on the Howard University campus. After the fold of the Diplomats and the league itself, soccer wouldn't become popular again in DC until the 1994 World Cup, when several matches were played at RFK Stadium. Unfortunately for the club, they would not be able to join the young MLS and remained a semi-pro club until the introduction of the XSL. They now play their matches at Audi Field, the state-of-the-art soccer-specific stadium at Buzzard Point.

spacer.png

Their logo showcases the distinctive shape of Washington, DC. The initial of the club are showcased, also resembling the four quadrants of the district. In the bottom right, the flag of the city is seen with the two bars and the three stars. The color takes the red from the flag.

spacer.png

DCFC is outfitted by Kappa, and their shirt sponsor is Marriott, while their sleeve sponsor is CAVA. Their home kit is all white featuring the red bars of the flag while the home is all red with a white sash and a black shadow, with a slight digital camo pattern showing the city's connection to the military.

The next club to be featured will be the Montreal Wanderers.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (2/20, DCFC)

Shamrock Rovers had a similar shield shape to the one you've used (which I'm sure is the one from the current Everton logo) in some of their earlier crests and the pattern you've used for the  change kit is one that both Wolfsburg and Kaizer Chiefs have used this season. I'm not going to bet against the pattern showing up for one of the 3 teams that Nike supply in the J - League next year too. Kind of goes against a pattern that is supposed to show off how special the club is.

The DCFC logo is a lot better, I like the concept and how you've incorporated the flag into the logo, a lot better than DC united did with their logo.

MONTRÉAL WANDERERS CF

Your eyes do not deceive you. This club is named after the 4-time Stanley Cup winners, the Montreal Wanderers hockey team that existed from 1903-1918. This club was formed nearly 90 years from when the original hockey club was formed. It was formed by Nolan Strachan, a descendent of the original owner of the Wanderers, in late 1992 to commemorate the club, and to introduce a classic European football name into North America. Strachan didn't want to introduce another hockey club into the Montreal market, and wanted to try soccer instead to compete with the newly-formed Montreal Impact who played in the APSL. The competition would not last long as the Wanderers would play their first few seasons in a semi-pro league in Quebec. This would last until 1998 with the formation of the Canadian Professional Soccer League, later the Canadian Soccer League. The club left the league after financial troubles almost made the club dissolve in 2011. They would be saved by a new owner, and would then play in the newly-formed semi-pro PLSQ in 2012. Montreal were one of the original clubs invited to join the XSL in the 2019 season. Originally, the club played at Percival Molson Stadium, but later moved to several pitches around the city. With the joining of the team to the XSL, they moved their play to Stade Saputo next to the Montreal Olympic Stadium.

spacer.png

The logo features an octagonal shaped badge, with an M in front of a W to symbolize the initials of the club. The flower logo of the city is featured at the top with the name of the club on the bottom. The colors are red like the original team and silver.

spacer.png

Montreal is outfitted by Le Coq Sportif, while their shirt sponsor is BMO, and their sleeve sponsor is GoodFood Market. Their home kit features red and silver stripes while the away kit is all black with shiny stripes with red highlights of the logos to symbolize the 'Sin City' moniker.

The next club to be featured will be Paumanok AFC.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (3/20, Montreal Wanderers)

PAUMANOK AFC

Paumanok, the Native American's name for Long Island. It means "land of tribute." Though there have been several spellings, this is the one that's stuck. The club was formed on Long Island in 1957 by Englishman, Travis Fraser, after he moved there and was quite bored with the lack of footy. He had made many a friend with the Native Americans who still inhabited the island, and thus named the club in their honor. He attached Association Football Club, AFC, on the end, as he did not want to confuse the club with football but refused to call it soccer. He still managed to confuse others who thought it was an American Football Club. The club played originally as an amateur club but joined the NASL briefly in the 70s. After it's demise, they played again in the LISFL up until the formation of the XSL in 2019, where the club was invited to play with several other clubs. Paumanok played all over Nassau County, not finding a home stadium until the creation of the XSL, where they settled at Mitchel Field. The team plan to renovate the field to a soccer-specific stadium that will hold a capacity of 18,000.

spacer.png

The logo resembles that of a dreamcatcher, a symbol of Native American culture. It contains the Native thunderbird in the top half with a ball in the bottom, with a yellow background with black stripes.

spacer.png

Paumanok is outfitted by Under Armour, while their shirt sponsor is AVIS and their sleeve sponsor is Nathan's. Their home kit features a yellow stripe down the middle of a black base, as the logos sit in the center of the jersey. The sleeves and side panels are also yellow. The away kit is all white with a fading black and yellow stripe down the middle, drawing inspiration from an old Vitesse kit.

The next and final team of the Northeast Division to be featured will be Toronto Marlborough AC.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (4/20, Paumanok AFC)

TORONTO MARLBOROUGH AC

Named after the Duke of Marlborough, this club was formed in 1903 by a group of Toronto sportsmen. In this alternate universe, the team formed an association football team alongside the hockey team that started in 1904. The club played in amateur and semi-pro competitions in Ontario for the majority of its history until the formation of the Canadian Professional Soccer League in 1998, where they joined alongside the Montreal Wanderers. In this alternate timeline, only the hockey team moved to Hamilton, leaving only the soccer team in Toronto, where they would play in Varsity Stadium, alongside the Argos and several other soccer teams that played in the Six. They struck a deal with the Maple Leafs as an associate club to continue using their imagery even with the move of the hockey team. In 2013, the club would join League1 Ontario until the formation of the XSL in 2019, where they were one of four Canadian teams invited to join the league. Their nickname are the Marlies, same as the junior ice hockey team. Their current home stadium is BMO Field.

spacer.png

Their logo keeps the crown and maple leaf from the logo from the 80s, but add a roundel featuring the name of the team with silver highlights.

spacer.png

Toronto are outfitted by New Balance, while their front sponsor is Tim Horton's and their sleeve sponsor is OVO. Their home and away kits are opposites of each other, and take inspiration from the Marlborough hockey jerseys with the stripe at the waist and stripe at the shoulders.

Next up is the Southeast Division. The first club to be featured will be Royal SC Charlotte.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (5/20, Toronto Marlborough AC)

I like what you have here! My personal favorite is DCFC. I will say though, not the biggest fan of "Royal SC Charlotte" as a name, because there's only one thing SC stands for in the Carolinas, and it ain't Soccer Club. Charlotte has a hard enough time with national recognition, let's not try and confuse people on what Carolina it's in.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, QCS said:

I like what you have here! My personal favorite is DCFC. I will say though, not the biggest fan of "Royal SC Charlotte" as a name, because there's only one thing SC stands for in the Carolinas, and it ain't Soccer Club. Charlotte has a hard enough time with national recognition, let's not try and confuse people on what Carolina it's in.

That's fair. Didn't realize that. To be clear the full name is Royal Sporting Club Charlotte, but I can just shorten it to Royal FC Charlotte or just Royal Charlotte if the SC is a little bothersome. I can totally understand if it is.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, thebutkiker said:

That's fair. Didn't realize that. To be clear the full name is Royal Sporting Club Charlotte, but I can just shorten it to Royal FC Charlotte or just Royal Charlotte if the SC is a little bothersome. I can totally understand if it is.

I like FC, that works for me. Looking forward to the concept!

ROYAL FC CHARLOTTE

Unlike other certain teams that use the Royal name, this club's name is inspired by the royal roots of the city. As most people know, the city is named after the former Queen of Great Britain, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. To use the Royal name that so many clubs of the world use, the founder of the club, John Gonzales, decided that Charlotte was a perfect fit. The club was created in 1996 after the creation of the MLS as soccer boomed in the US. The team played in the NPSL and other semi-pro leagues and after many failed bids to join the MLS, they received an invitation to join the XSL in 2019. The team initially played at Bank of America Stadium but moved to a newly-renovated and expanded American Legion Memorial Stadium across the city.

spacer.png

The logo features a lion rampant on a longer shield badge with the full name of the club and a soccer ball below the lion. A crown adorns the top of the badge to show the royal roots of the city. The colors take inspiration from the two major colleges in North Carolina, UNC and Duke.

spacer.png

Charlotte are outfitted by Jordan through Nike due to it being the home state of Jordan himself. The main sponsor is Ally while the sleeve sponsor is Food Lion. The home kit features the dark and light blue hoops with white intersections and a faded gradient checker pattern to represent the racing history of the city. The away features an off-white kit with light and dark blue speckles with a collar and a light blue shoulder stripe.

The next team to be featured will be Racing Club Daytona.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (6/20, Royal FC Charlotte)

Very solid! I like the logo a lot, not big on the colors though. Yeah, Charlotte, UNC, and Duke are all in NC, but it feels like a copout to just use UNC/Duke blue. Try and use a more "Charlotte" scheme - either blue and gold or perhaps purple and gold. I love the kit design as well, it's just the colors that are disappointing.

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Very solid! I like the logo a lot, not big on the colors though. Yeah, Charlotte, UNC, and Duke are all in NC, but it feels like a copout to just use UNC/Duke blue. Try and use a more "Charlotte" scheme - either blue and gold or perhaps purple and gold. I love the kit design as well, it's just the colors that are disappointing.

Sorry about the color scheme. I try to understand the local flavor of every team and I'm doomed to get some aspects wrong. If I were to do blue and gold, do you have certain shades you'd like instead?

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, thebutkiker said:

Sorry about the color scheme. I try to understand the local flavor of every team and I'm doomed to get some aspects wrong. If I were to do blue and gold, do you have certain shades you'd like instead?

I've always liked the KC Royals' shades, but perhaps even UCLA's blue and metallic gold? Otherwise I think everything else is stellar, just that small change I'd make. Looking forward to the rest of the series!

RACING CLUB DAYTONA

Racing Club Daytona was started in 1956 during the construction of Daytona Motor Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida by those working on the speedway after shifts working on the job site. The name was inspired by the multiple Racing Clubs from around the world, but particularly Racing Club in Avellaneda, Argentina. It was formally made a team in 1959 by then-CEO of NASCAR, Bill France Sr with the opening of Daytona Motor Speedway, and chose to emulate it's identity from that of the checkered flag. The club played against several other teams, particularly the Florida teams in the NASL from the late 60s to early 80s, but would not join the league itself. It played in several other semi-pro leagues until the formation of the XSL. The team played on several pitches until the construction of Daytona Stadium in 1987. They played their inaugural season there while the 18,000-capacity Bill France Sr Stadium was under construction.

spacer.png

The logo is a badge that features four quadrants, one with the initials of the club, one with the established year of the club, and the other two featuring the checkered flag that the club identifies itself with. The C in the initials also features a soccer ball or a rim of a stock car.

spacer.png

Daytona are outfitted by Adidas, while their main sponsor is Costa del Mar, and their sleeve sponsor is Daytona Motor Speedway. Their home kit features the iconic checkered pattern seen in the flag and on many other club identifies. Their away kit is inspired by the Dodge Daytona, with the color coming from "Charger Red" from the official catalog for the car. It features a white stripe on the middle with "Daytona" in all caps, showing the white stripe that was also featured on the car itself. It also contains what I call the "legacy logo" which is a fauxback logo I made for the club. You can see it here:

spacer.png

The next club to be featured will be Atlanta Forest FC.

spacer.png

• thebutkiker changed the title to Revisiting the XSL (7/20, Racing Club Daytona)
2 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The "Legacy" logo for RCD looks a lot more modern than the one used on the home shirt. It also looks very similar to the current logo of Sturm Graz.

Fair but it's a fauxback so I'll give it a pass. Also yes, it was heavily inspired by that logo :)

spacer.png

Archived