MLS Kits 2022

VampyrRabbit

Just now, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Pink perhaps, after the Rose City?

That would be my second guess, and there were quite a few fans thinking the same back in the Spring when Paulson was dropping hints. He has said in the past that the Rose City theme would come back at some point, so a pink Rose City-themed kit wouldn’t shock me. Only reason I’m leaning more towards yellow is that he said it’s a color that hasn’t really been featured as the primary color before, which leads me to believe it’s a color that HAS been used but not in a prominent way. Yellow seems to fit that bill, but again pink wouldn’t shock me at all.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

It had (rather mercifully) slipped my mind that Columbus Crew came up with a new logo and that 2022 will be the first time they will play with an unpleasant looking C inside a shoddy outline of the Ohio state flag.  Along with The Revs and Chicago Fire, that's 3 teams that will be playing with a new Emblem on their chests.

10 minutes ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

It had (rather mercifully) slipped my mind that Columbus Crew came up with a new logo and that 2022 will be the first time they will play with an unpleasant looking C inside a shoddy outline of the Ohio state flag.  Along with The Revs and Chicago Fire, that's 3 teams that will be playing with a new Emblem on their chests.

I still don’t know how they thought the C logo is an upgrade over what was already a decent crest compared to the rest of the league.

New England = massive W

Chicago = massive W

Columbus = massive L

• Like 5

I've been hoping for a yellow Timbers kit since day one. Can't go wrong with an athletic gold/yellow kit with their usual dark green trim, even if it's simple.

My other reasonable pitches/hopes are as follows:

• give me a new Revs kit with a red sash to match the new logo. don't care about the shorts color as long as they aren't navy.
  • Philly bringing back the center stripe, but instead of metallic gold, make it light blue and yellow to match the Philly flag (and the wild success of their '21 away)
  • Vancouver and SKC stop using the same away kit all the time 
  • Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I still don’t know how they thought the C logo is an upgrade over what was already a decent crest compared to the rest of the league.

The only plausible explanation is that the new ownership felt the need to make the team their own, so to speak, by leaving the old logo in the Precourt years. (And, lest we forget, that they even changed the name of the team for about 10 days). I guess that's not as bad as letting the stadium rot and refusing to stock the toilet paper, or whatever Precourt did, but still a total unforced error and dumb ego move to squander a pretty decent reservoir of goodwill. The 2015-20 Columbus roundel is my favorite MLS96 update that doesn't totally nuke its own history, and it's a real shame to lose it for a stupid carabiner.

• Like 4

I hope D.C. United does something similar to the 2016-17 kits. Doesn't need to have tonal stripes on the front, but the red Adidas stripes made this the best set they've ever had IMO.

DC United 2017 Home KitCapital concerns: Five big questions for DC United in 2017 | MLSSoccer.com

SN: I like Charlotte's set, but was hoping they'd wear black socks with blue stripes.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

18 hours ago, Digby said:

The only plausible explanation is that the new ownership felt the need to make the team their own, so to speak, by leaving the old logo in the Precourt years. (And, lest we forget, that they even changed the name of the team for about 10 days). I guess that's not as bad as letting the stadium rot and refusing to stock the toilet paper, or whatever Precourt did, but still a total unforced error and dumb ego move to squander a pretty decent reservoir of goodwill. The 2015-20 Columbus roundel is my favorite MLS96 update that doesn't totally nuke its own history, and it's a real shame to lose it for a stupid carabiner.

The Save the Crew logo is miles better than the roundel and parsecs beyond the new logo. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/10/2021 at 5:39 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I hope D.C. United does something similar to the 2016-17 kits. Doesn't need to have tonal stripes on the front, but the red Adidas stripes made this the best set they've ever had IMO.

DC United 2017 Home KitCapital concerns: Five big questions for DC United in 2017 | MLSSoccer.com

SN: I like Charlotte's set, but was hoping they'd wear black socks with blue stripes.

I wish Adidas kept the side stripes, but they've gone exclusively to using the three stripes on the shoulders now. I'm a league where everyone has the same kit maker it broke up the sameness of the uniforms. 

6 hours ago, TheSquirrel said:

I believe that the Revolution, who don’t really have a standard pattern, will put a sash on the new home kit due to the sash on the logo.

I like that look for them. Teams having a constant design on each kit is always a good thing. Phila having the center stripe and FC Dallas embracing hoops would break up teams having looks that melt together during matches. I also hope more teams start getting third kits. Home teams shouldn't have to change their uniforms because both of the visitors kits are too close to their home uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2021-12-10 at 10:39 PM, Digby said:

I've been hoping for a yellow Timbers kit since day one. Can't go wrong with an athletic gold/yellow kit with their usual dark green trim, even if it's simple.

My other reasonable pitches/hopes are as follows:

• give me a new Revs kit with a red sash to match the new logo. don't care about the shorts color as long as they aren't navy.
  • Philly bringing back the center stripe, but instead of metallic gold, make it light blue and yellow to match the Philly flag (and the wild success of their '21 away)
  • Vancouver and SKC stop using the same away kit all the time 

YMMV, but have to remind you of the Norwich City "Bird S*** Kit" (though Canaries fans grew to love that outfit).

As for Vancouver and Kansas, I think that with the hooped home kits, those two sides are going to try something different this year.

15 minutes ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

YMMV, but have to remind you of the Norwich City "Bird S*** Kit" (though Canaries fans grew to love that outfit).

Portland has stayed pretty conservative in its design elements ever since going away from the neon-green days, so I'm not too worried about that. Easy enough to just not use a design print that looks like bird :censored:. Just athletic gold with dark green for things like the collar, cuffs and Adidas stripes is all you need; I think when using a colorway that's pretty unusual for MLS that you have more leeway for a "boring" design.

Also occurred to me: what about gray? Sort of like that Blazers grayscale jersey from last year or whenever it was. Some kind of gray Portland rain clouds theme. Not what I'd bet on but seems like a sorta reasonable idea.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

Portland has stayed pretty conservative in its design elements ever since going away from the neon-green days, so I'm not too worried about that. Easy enough to just not use a design print that looks like bird :censored:. Just athletic gold with dark green for things like the collar, cuffs and Adidas stripes is all you need; I think when using a colorway that's pretty unusual for MLS that you have more leeway for a "boring" design.

Also occurred to me: what about gray? Sort of like that Blazers grayscale jersey from last year or whenever it was. Some kind of gray Portland rain clouds theme. Not what I'd bet on but seems like a sorta reasonable idea.

Grey doesn't fit the team though. Athletic or mustard gold would stand out a lot more than grey would from their green kit. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Grey doesn't fit the team though. Athletic or mustard gold would stand out a lot more than grey would from their green kit. 

I guess I could maybe see it being gray, but in his hinting Paulson has said it’s a color that hasn’t been used as the primary color before, and also that it’s “true to the club/team”. I think gray would be a little bit of a stretch there on both of those hints, but we’ll see. Far from the least likely color IMO, but I’m still not sure it’s all that likely. I’m sticking to yellow/athletic gold as my guess, but it wouldn’t shock me at all if it was pink as a new version of the “Rose City reds”.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Given that the Revolution Pro Shop at Gillette had extremely low stock of the white secondary jerseys at the end of the season (the home navy tops sold out), I for one would not be shocked if the the Revs debuted both new primary and secondary kits next season, especially with the rebrand effort.

The pro shop was not replenishing their supplies, which is either due to issues with the supply chain (not unheard of) or with the intention of ensuring the current supply is gone before the new stuff comes in.

patriotssignature.png

17 minutes ago, Beantown77 said:

Given that the Revolution Pro Shop at Gillette had extremely low stock of the white secondary jerseys at the end of the season (the home navy tops sold out), I for one would not be shocked if the the Revs debuted both new primary and secondary kits next season, especially with the rebrand effort.

The pro shop was not replenishing their supplies, which is either due to issues with the supply chain (not unheard of) or with the intention of ensuring the current supply is gone before the new stuff comes in.

Columbus had that issue with both the new grey and black jerseys. I'd expect them to still keep anything released last year and just slap the new logo on top of them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Beantown77 said:

the CEO said to the Athletic or someone that they’re keeping the secondary jersey, just with the new logo. So the pro shop was probably just jettisoning ANYTHING with the crayon flag to make room for new stock. Too bad because the secondary jersey sucks and you should probably go all-in on your color scheme when unveiling a rebrand, but what do I know!