MLS Kits 2022

VampyrRabbit

2 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Interesting thought, when do the teams gets the 3rd jerseys? If they sold 100,000 (or whatever the number) in the 2021 season, do they receive the jersey for the 2022 season, or the 2023 season, since the turnaround for the jerseys are 2ish years? Or do they meet with each team prior to the season when they brought back 3rds (or made that decision) about what they would want it to look like? I would be interested in that process, because otherwise they could keep the old jersey (home/away) that gets replaced and use it as a 3rd.

I think it's dumb that they have to sell a certain amount to get a third kit. Especially when Portland and Seattle have two dark kits, having a third light kit would make life easier. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2022-01-10 at 6:38 PM, GriffinM6 said:

That's a pretty sweet sticker. Maybe the use of green will also entice them to use some Olympic themed colors in the kit as well...

Atlanta 1996 – Emblem - theolympicdesign – Olympic Design Webseite!

Green with Gold logos and gold, violet, blue, hot pink and red trim on the sleeves would be a really nice colour combo for Atlanta.

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it's dumb that they have to sell a certain amount to get a third kit. Especially when Portland and Seattle have two dark kits, having a third light kit would make life easier. 

I don't know, I think it's kind of smart, at least in theory. I'd hope this would incentivize teams to create looks that most consumers actually want to buy rather than chasing novelty trends. 

But I suppose it would favor newcomers like Austin, whose fan base are buying kits for the first time, rather than veteran clubs, whose fanbase probably already owns several versions from years past. Nevertheless, a rule like this would force them to raise the bar. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately MLS and Adidas have taken the position that third kits aren't there to prevent clashes, they're there to make more money. Curious what the break even is there. Or maybe have more third kits but make them only available to the public as authentics or something, presumably a smaller and more premium inventory would be easier to break even on? Was somebody losing money in the early/mid-10s when Portland, Seattle, Galaxy, even Chicago had third kits?

• Like 5

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

31 minutes ago, Digby said:

Unfortunately MLS and Adidas have taken the position that third kits aren't there to prevent clashes, they're there to make more money. Curious what the break even is there. Or maybe have more third kits but make them only available to the public as authentics or something, presumably a smaller and more premium inventory would be easier to break even on? Was somebody losing money in the early/mid-10s when Portland, Seattle, Galaxy, even Chicago had third kits?

I think it has to do with the fact that, in relation to other soccer/football leagues, the MLS is rather small in its market share. They probably don't make enough in jersey sales to warrant a third kit for every team, unlike larger leagues with larger followings, even amongst their smaller teams.

Would a third jersey with every team increase jersey sales? Maybe. But I don't think there really is enough "franchise" players that are instantly recognizable in MLS to give them much motivation to do it.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

7 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Took them long enough to embrace Pink as their primary kit color. Not sure why they didn't do so from the start.

Also, I must have missed this, but did Inter Miami settle their lawsuit with Inter Milan or is that still ongoing?

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, WBeltz said:

Interesting thought, when do the teams gets the 3rd jerseys? If they sold 100,000 (or whatever the number) in the 2021 season, do they receive the jersey for the 2022 season, or the 2023 season, since the turnaround for the jerseys are 2ish years? Or do they meet with each team prior to the season when they brought back 3rds (or made that decision) about what they would want it to look like? I would be interested in that process, because otherwise they could keep the old jersey (home/away) that gets replaced and use it as a 3rd.

It would probably be 2023 if they qualified in 2021

10 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

Took them long enough to embrace Pink as their primary kit color. Not sure why they didn't do so from the start.

Also, I must have missed this, but did Inter Miami settle their lawsuit with Inter Milan or is that still ongoing?

Still ongoing, as far as I'm aware.

13 hours ago, BryanSmalls said:

Like @VampyrRabbitDesign said I believe it's still on going. The NA soccer thread in the sports thread would have blown up over that.

In case they end up losing the lawsuit and have to change their name, I wonder if they'd be allowed to call themselves Global Miami instead? Global is literally a synonym for international, and the word global is the same in both English and Spanish. Or would swapping in the word Global still be some sort of infringement?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 2022-01-20 at 3:32 AM, 4_tattoos said:

In case they end up losing the lawsuit and have to change their name, I wonder if they'd be allowed to call themselves Global Miami instead? Global is literally a synonym for international, and the word global is the same in both English and Spanish. Or would swapping in the word Global still be some sort of infringement?

I guess that would be fine.  And in the case of being barred from being called Inter, they could always have the MLS dust off the old Fusion name.

And on the subject of OG MLS Names, the Energy Drink boys are again going to be wearing Metrostars colours on the road.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:38 PM, GriffinM6 said:

That's a pretty sweet sticker. Maybe the use of green will also entice them to use some Olympic themed colors in the kit as well...

Atlanta 1996 – Emblem - theolympicdesign – Olympic Design Webseite!

I fully expect we'll see a "Centennial Kit" within the next 5 years. Forest Green Base, gold logo/ads, and a Pink/Blue/Purple adidas stripe would be my dream for that. 

• Like 1
Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Obviously it being pink is a huge plus, and I personally am always a big fan of collars, but it still feels disappointing. They’ve been using a heartbeat pattern on their recent social media graphics, and it seems like a real missed opportunity to not incorporate that into the design of the shirt. 

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I'd assume it's an image of the replica. The adi stripes, logo and Inter Miami logos are all stitched on. Whereas authentic is the plastic badges, etc. 

So still reason to believe it could have a pattern on the authentic.  

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner