North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

New York City FC are the MLS Cup Champions for 2021. Will capturing the league title do anything to advance the club's efforts to get a soccer-specific stadium built in the Big Apple?  Expansion side Charlotte FC - Major League Soccer's 28th side - is set to take the pitch in the new year. MLS NEXT Pro - a new professional league providing a link between MLS NEXT and MLS first teams - is set to launch.  What other developments will 2022 bring to the pro soccer scene in the United States and Canada?  

• Like 1

Exactly how big is NYCFC's fanbase?

On one hand I feel the club could justifiably have a stadium built within the same capacity range as the latest ones to come into the league.

On the other hand, I think a soccer specific stadium in New York City proper could realistically be made to hold 40K+ if certain events were contractually obligated to take place there every year (US national teams playing x number of friendlies, elimination round Gold Cup matches, friendlies featuring big overseas clubs, world cup qualifiers, etc)

The question is whether or not anyone could justify NYCFC being the primary tenant of a 40K+ stadium? I'm not sure. As of right now only Seattle & Atlanta has shown they could realistically pull those numbers on a regular basis. Although an argument could be made that Portland could too if their stadium was bigger. Not to mention Met Life Stadium probably has contracts for all those events I mentioned for the foreseeable future.

We'll see what happens.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

41 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

New York is so weird. I was in Manhattan last weekend when NYCFC clinched the championship game. You wouldn't know it just walking around; no one had on NYCFC gear, I didn't see it on any TVs passing by, no posters or banners,  etc.

But it's also New York. If just 1 percent of the city cares, that's still a lot of people.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

New York is so weird. I was in Manhattan last weekend when NYCFC clinched the championship game. You wouldn't know it just walking around; no one had on NYCFC gear, I didn't see it on any TVs passing by, no posters or banners,  etc.

But it's also New York. If just 1 percent of the city cares, that's still a lot of people.

If it's any indication, the Hammerstein Ballroom was sold out for the watch party. 

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

On one hand I feel the club could justifiably have a stadium built within the same capacity range as the latest ones to come into the league.

On the other hand, I think a soccer specific stadium in New York City proper could realistically be made to hold 40K+ if certain events were contractually obligated to take place there every year (US national teams playing x number of friendlies, elimination round Gold Cup matches, friendlies featuring big overseas clubs, world cup qualifiers, etc)

The question is whether or not anyone could justify NYCFC being the primary tenant of a 40K+ stadium? I'm not sure. As of right now only Seattle & Atlanta has shown they could realistically pull those numbers on a regular basis. Although an argument could be made that Portland could too if their stadium was bigger. Not to mention Met Life Stadium probably has contracts for all those events I mentioned for the foreseeable future.

We'll see what happens.

I'm not sure that's a gap that needs to be filled, honestly. MetLife will always get the CONCACAF final type matches. USSF appears less than eager to put games in the NY market these days (at least for the men's team), and already has Red Bull Arena and Rentschler Field in their rotation for when they do. Any stadium for NYCFC really needs to stand its own with their games alone, and if you're doing that, seems best to keep it in the low 20k's like all the other SSS venues.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, tigers said:

Penalties.

What a great way to win a Grand Final.

Better than college football's new overtime.  If they haven't won it in 120 minutes, why keep dragging it out. I'd love them to use the original MLS Shootout rules though.

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Better than college football's new overtime.  If they haven't won it in 120 minutes, why keep dragging it out. I'd love them to use the original MLS Shootout rules though.

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

Penalty shootouts, whatever way you do them is fine in the regular season but not for Championship deciders.

It's akin to wining the world cup by penalties.

• Like 2

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:11 PM, Digby said:

USSF appears less than eager to put games in the NY market these days (at least for the men's team), and already has... Rentschler Field in their rotation for when they do.

Considering Rentschler Field as in "the NY market" is a stretch. A site in Fairfield County? Sure. A stadium in East Hartford, Connecticut? No. 

9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Considering Rentschler Field as in "the NY market" is a stretch. A site in Fairfield County? Sure. A stadium in East Hartford, Connecticut? No. 

hm9ikgngsunswao2enb2.jpg

Kidding! I'm kidding. Really, no, it's not the New York market per se, but USSF schedules matches there as much or more than New York-area stadia given cheap rent and being proximate to both New York and Boston. For the purposes of this conversation, that's just another reason why I wouldn't assume any USSF games if I were building an NYCFC stadium, especially since USSF will be loathe to give up that NY/NE crossroads location given that they've abandoned Foxboro as an option.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers