North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

MLS expansion side St. Louis City SC this morning named longtime NY Red Bulls assistant Bradley Carnell as the franchise's first-ever head coach. LINK

I can see the value in an expansion side picking a head coach this far in advance — you want someone to help build the foundation. But it has to be a challenge to find someone who doesn't mind sitting out a year. The first team won't take the pitch until March 2023. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

MLS expansion side St. Louis City SC this morning named longtime NY Red Bulls assistant Bradley Carnell as the franchise's first-ever head coach. LINK

I can see the value in an expansion side picking a head coach this far in advance — you want someone to help build the foundation. But it has to be a challenge to find someone who doesn't mind sitting out a year. The first team won't take the pitch until March 2023. 

Though I personally had no knowledge of Carnell prior to the rumors that St. Louis City SC was interested in him, I'm excited for the hire. International experience but has been in MLS for his coaching career, and even had a taste of a head coaching job as an interim in NY.  He also apparently was being considered for an assistant position at Manchester United (or perhaps even turned it down for the possibility of being a HC in MLS). Seems like a pretty good resume to me. Now we'll just have to see how he does coaching a brand new roster in a year.

EDIT: Apparently he'd already committed to StL City prior to Manchester United calling.

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

NYCFC will play their CONCACAF Champions League game at Bank of America (LAFC) because . . . Officially, it's because they play the LA Galaxy 4 days later. The amount of fans and media backing them up on this is appalling. 

https://www.nycfcsoccernews.com/news/nycfc-to-play-concacaf-cl-game-at-red-bull-arena-2599

The two baseball stadiums aren't approved by Concacaf and Red Bull is replacing it's grass. but let's force other teams to build new stadiums instead of the team with the most money available to it. 

This one is the most annoying, dude you're a professional journalist and you supposedly support NYCFC? Granted it doesn't matter since Yankee Stadium isn't approved. But Talon, Gillette Stadium and Audi Field are and none will have games at that time either. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If your field can't meet the bar for approval set by Concacaf itself...

New England is playing against Cavaly from Haiti, but they've just scheduled both legs for Foxboro due to the whole situation in Haiti. Wonder if it'll just be closed-door for the first leg where Cavaly is "home"; two Tuesdays in February at Gillette Stadium is going to be a tough ask, attendance-wise.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

If your field can't meet the bar for approval set by Concacaf itself...

New England is playing against Cavaly from Haiti, but they've just scheduled both legs for Foxboro due to the whole situation in Haiti. Wonder if it'll just be closed-door for the first leg where Cavaly is "home"; two Tuesdays in February at Gillette Stadium is going to be a tough ask, attendance-wise.

NYCFC's opponent's home game of the leg is in Costa Rica instead of their home stadium as well.  It's crappy all around, but some people painting this as a "player health" issue instead of  a "your stadium is a baseball stadium and shouldn't be used for soccer" argument is pathetic. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Is there really anywhere in NYC proper that the team can build a soccer specific stadium?

There's got to be space somewhere. Heck, they've been building fields all over NYC, granted it's easy to lay down a court as opposed to a stadium with seating and everything else needed. But I think part of the problem that the Yankees and City Group are running into, which I think has happened with the Revolution previously as well, is that when someone hears they want to build somewhere they try to make them pay out the wazoo for those sites. NYCFC has also trapped themselves by saying they are New York's true team, so if they move outside of the 5 boroughs they lose a bit of face. The most annoying bit as a Crew fan though, is that if they (MLS and others)didn't push to get Lower.com Field built, the team may have been moved to Austin like Precourt wanted to originally. MLS has made a big fuss of getting teams to build stadiums in downtown areas but that has not been something they've pressed NYCFC to do. I'm sure they understand how hard it is to get that done in New York, but I also think that if they were serious about helping their teams, MLS should be getting involved on this. MLB, NFL and NBA would be doing that for their teams, MLS should be too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I mean, I don't know where you all think they should look. The new Yankee Stadium itself was a tortured, forever process, and ask the NFL how their efforts went. There's no obvious solution here... that's why New York City is what it is, and not Orlando or Austin or Commerce City, CO. (Also why it's a hilarious own goal that the Bronx site got derailed by a Yankees/city unrelated squabble over parking, but I digress.) Willets Point seems logical and promising for them at least.

The difficulty does not absolve the team of finding better solutions in the meantime, however. I do like the idea of teams with less-than-ideal stadium situations to use the early-round Cup games to travel a bit, but I was thinking more USOC than CCL (like when the Revs used to play at Harvard or Providence). I was also thinking, you know, to do so in your territory and not across the country.

Shame that NYCFC won a title to legitimize this whole fiasco, right when it seemed like the cracks were beginning to show. 

Also this deal Insigne is getting from Toronto FC is nuts. In a different time this would sink entire leagues! 

A few other stars have moved to MLS at around the same point in their career as Insigne, but there’s no doubt that his contract with TFC is unparalleled. According to what sources told The Athletic last week, TFC is set to pay Insigne roughly $15 million per year in salary. Beckham got an option to purchase a future expansion team for $25 million as extra compensation when he signed with the LA Galaxy in 2007, but Insigne will have far and away the largest salary in league history, about double the previous high set by Ibrahimovic in 2019. In fact, Insigne’s annual salary will likely be more than the payroll for all but a handful of MLS clubs in 2022. According to data published by the MLS Players Association in October, only six MLS teams — TFC, LA, Atlanta, Miami, LAFC and NYCFC — paid at least $15 million to their entire squads in 2021. That total probably won’t increase by more than a few teams this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Is there really anywhere in NYC proper that the team can build a soccer specific stadium?

What about all those parking lots near the Harlem River not far from Yankee Stadium?

Also plenty of space on Randalls.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

26 minutes ago, tigers said:

Also plenty of space on Randalls.

Not anymore. Icahn Stadium is a 5000-seat track-and-field stadium that is built on the site of the former Downing Stadium, where the Cosmos used to play before they blew up with Pele and moved to Giants Stadium.  And the taking of park land in Randalls Island for a soccer stadium would be out of the question.

Anyway, the issue with Randalls Island is not the space but the access. That island is served by no subways, and by only one bus line. Access by subway is an absolute must for any NYCFC stadium. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Not anymore. Icahn Stadium is a 5000-seat track-and-field stadium that is built on the site of the former Downing Stadium, where the Cosmos used to play before they blew up with Pele and moved to Giants Stadium.  And the taking of park land in Randalls Island for a soccer stadium would be out of the question.

Anyway, the issue with Randalls Island is not the space but the access. That island is served by no subways, and by only one bus line. Access by subway is an absolute must for any NYCFC stadium. 

There's a track in Astoria it's two minutes walk.

There's already a training facility as well.

Plenty of parking, a train line goes passed it, build a station.

Can't they put on buses to go to areas where they have access to the subway?

It's not hard to plan instead of chopping things down.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Hearing that some of the MLS Next Pro League teams announced to start in 2022 might wait until next year. FC Cincinnati in particular has said while they are prepared  to field a team in 2022, they are weighing on whether or not to push back to 2023

Signature intentionally left blank