North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Not to this extent. I'm interested to see how long Concacaf will let that chant go when the USMNT play at Azteca next week. They let it go until minute 86 at Denver last year. 

Kind of feels like Azteca should be closed to fans next week.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Kind of feels like Azteca should be closed to fans next week.

I feel like they still haven't had their two games behind closed doors either, though I think they are doing that for El Salvador when they should be in the World Cup by then. Trying to stick one of those games on the women's team is still upper bullpucky. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

FC Cincinnati makes it two in a row. A 3-1 victory at The Tickle over Inter Miami.  Brandon Vazquez with a brace for the second straight match and is now the all time leading scorer for FCC.  Inter Miami is as Cincys announcers called them "discombobulated" My only gripe about todays match other than it being a 1pm start time is Luciano Acosta. Today When FCC was awarded a penalty. Brenner (who we pay the big bucks to score easy goals) had just come off the bench. Fresh legs. Acosta started the match tired legs and about to be subbed. Acosta rips the ball from Brenner to take the penalty. Takes so many stutter steps and goes wide. I know Noonan wanted Acosta to take it but Acosta as the captain should have known he was too tired to take it and have Brenner do it instead (he was subbed literally just after he missed). He wanted to take the penalty because his kids were in the stands watching.  IMHO he is a horrible captain on the field (this dates back to last year too). He is selfish and holds onto the ball too long. He thinks he is as good as Messi but he's not even as good as Josef Martinez or Jozy Altidore.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

I saw that missed PK. Happened when Cincinnati was up 2-1 and I was sure Miami was going to tie afterward. The PK was truly terrible and Acosta should be embarrassed.

I'm sad for DeAndre Yedlin. Came back to the US just to be a great player on a terrible team.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

LAFC off to its best start since the magical 2019 season. Great to see Vela back in full force plus the loads of depth LAFC enjoys now. Still miss Rossi, but the LAFC offense clearly hasn't.

Also, it's always a great weekend when LAFC wins and the Galaxy lose. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

LAFC off to its best start since the magical 2019 season. Great to see Vela back in full force plus the loads of depth LAFC enjoys now. Still miss Rossi, but the LAFC offense clearly hasn't.

Also, it's always a great weekend when LAFC wins and the Galaxy lose. 

The Banc was hopping last night. LAFC and the supporters didn't let falling behind 0-1 just 12 minutes into the match curtail team effort or dampen stadium atmosphere. Based upon the buzz on the post-match Metro ride back to Santa Monica, you'd have thought the team had just won a playoff game.

While the play of the 2022 edition of the Black and Gold strikes me as being a bit more frenetic and a bit less polished than that of the 2019 squad (admittedly, through just four matches), I'm loving the team's speed and go-for-broke enthusiasm. Plus, as you mention, the depth is a tremendous resource. Steve Cherundolo's greatest challenge as manager may be finding enough meaningful minutes to keep all of the players - particularly the triumvirate of Carlos Vela, Christian Arango, and Brian Rodriguez - happy. Still, that's a nice problem to have.

To me, the biggest change for LAFC during the early going of this season has been the team's improvement in the defensive third. Maxime Crépeau is exactly the sort of steadying hand in goal that LAFC needed... and his presence has the team's backs playing with far more confidence. 

Early days to be sure, but this certainly looks it's going to be a very entertaining season.   

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-statement-on-report-regarding-portland-timbers-organization-x9057

According to a MLS investigation, Portland didn't try bribing an abused spouse for reporting her husband for abuse. The league still fined the team $25,000 for not reporting the incident to the league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, element7ero said:

RE: Timbers investigation = what a only slap on the wrist fine for REPEATED inexcusable and disgusting behavior by the clubs ownership/leaders. 🤬

I also liked the part where Garber praised Merritt Paulson for building the Timbers from scratch .... never seen a more demonstrably untrue statement. I'll accept that those audio clips were lacking context (not really a great editing job on the lawyer's part) but definitely do not believe that the Timbers GM, who's been very savvy and canny in his work, somehow didn't know the league policies around this. The dream of the 00s Blazers is alive in Portland!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the US Open Cup. 

What is the reasoning behind some teams playing at alternative venues for Open Cup games?  I assume sometimes its due to scheduling conflicts, but the Rowdies advanced to play Orlando City and the match was announced to be played at Osceola County Stadium, home to Orlando City B.

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

What is the reasoning behind some teams playing at alternative venues for Open Cup games?  I assume sometimes its due to scheduling conflicts, but the Rowdies advanced to play Orlando City and the match was announced to be played at Osceola County Stadium, home to Orlando City B.

The use of a smaller stadium costs less in rent for a game that is certain to draw a smaller crowd.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Cheaper to play there. Columbus has played games at Ohio State and Akron's soccer stadiums for the Open Cup. The Akron game was to spread the brand up north. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Seattle scores first, putting them up 4-1 on aggregate in this weird home-and-neutral field series against NYCFC for a spot in the CCL Final. 

Really looking like Seattle's year...

Just booked my tickets to the second leg of the CCL Final! I missed the 2019 MLS Cup in Seattle and didn't want to miss out again.

Fingers crossed for a great result.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Just booked my tickets to the second leg of the CCL Final! I missed the 2019 MLS Cup in Seattle and didn't want to miss out again.

Fingers crossed for a great result.

As long as NYCFC isn't the first MLS team to win Concacaf Champions League I'm happy. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

As long as NYCFC isn't the first MLS team to win Concacaf Champions League I'm happy. 

Woulda been funny, though, to see NYCFC lift the trophy in an empty stadium, their fans still completely unaware of the PATH train.

• LOL 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers