CFL 2022

GDAWG

Among a lot of other things; covid killed this expansion. 

The CFL will keep saying they are committed to this project and that's probably the right thing to say but the small amount of government funding that was offered was pulled back essentially making this dead.

Never say never for the future but I think the current incarnation of the league is what we can expect for a long time. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Should the CFL go to a single table with no divisions?

-16 game schedule

-play every team twice (home & away)

-top 5 teams make playoffs

First round

#5 at #4

Semi-finals

4/5 winner at #1

#3 at #2

Grey Cup

Semi-final winners

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, EskimoAldus said:

Should the CFL go to a single table with no divisions?

-16 game schedule

-play every team twice (home & away)

-top 5 teams make playoffs

First round

#5 at #4

Semi-finals

4/5 winner at #1

#3 at #2

Grey Cup

Semi-final winners

Not giving up the two extra weeks of the regular season. 

If they ever get a tenth team I could see them going round Robin home and away against all 9 other teams. But still would split the playoffs east and west.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

American here, casual fan at best but watch the league when I can - especially the playoffs. 

I was on the CFL subreddit last night after the Grey Cup, and something I saw brought up a few times is the way the league markets itself. I'm aware of the league having front office issues, and overall a lot of my Canadian friends follow their NFL teams than the Lions (which, no disrespect to BC - i'm just friends with people from Surrey). I work in sports marketing, so I have a few takes, but don't want to make assumptions based on personal preferences.

Is it a crowded sports market? Is it the NFL becoming easier to watch abroad? Is it marketing towards a niche group of people and not succeeding growing the game? More importantly, what would you do differently?

Ultimately, I have a soft spot for the league and want it to succeed. Hoping to make it up to Vancouver for a game at some point