NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ATL/KC/QC/HFD added, Series Complete!)

vtgco

A2bUTx1.png

Hey there, everyone, here's a quick (and possibly polarizing) NHL series!

I'm sure you're all familiar with the controversial Vancouver Canucks Flying V jerseys. Personally, I've always kinda liked them! I think the black ones were a really well-designed jersey that pushed boundaries without being over-the-top. (The yellow ones, not so much...) 

Anyways, some of the recent Stadium Series jerseys feel like spiritual successors, of sorts. Though they haven't been particularly well executed (cough cough LA Kings, cough cough Tampa Bay), I can appreciate the ambition to try something a bit new... And I appreciate that they aren't meant to overwrite the teams' traditional jerseys—they're just one-off alternate jerseys!

In that spirit, I've tried to create an alternate jersey for every NHL team in the vein of the Flying V... A bit out there, hopefully without getting caricaturishly ugly (like the infamous Blues jersey, Wild Wing, or Burger King). Unlike the Canucks' change in the 70s, they won't involve a total brand change; I want them to feel somewhat "in character" for the team's existing brands.

Hardcore traditionalists, please suspend just a little bit of disbelief (but not more than a little bit, when restraint is especially needed...) Buckle up and enjoy!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First up are Anaheim and Arizona!

59NrBUO.png

E98fzj9.png

The Ducks get their webbed-foot D logo slightly tweaked to work as an A.

The Coyotes get a Monument Valley-inspired look with a crescent-moon collar thing.

Also, I won't be doing new logos for the teams, but I figured this would be a good place to share my Kachina-fied version of Arizona's old alternate logo, for use anywhere in the Coyotes' new uniform set:

ecgh2Mc.png

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ANA & AZ added)
1 hour ago, vtgco said:

First up are Anaheim and Arizona!

59NrBUO.png

E98fzj9.png

The Ducks get their webbed-foot D logo slightly tweaked to work as an A.

The Coyotes get a Monument Valley-inspired look with a crescent-moon collar thing.

These are incredible. Looking forward to the rest

On 12/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, CRDesigns said:

These are incredible. Looking forward to the rest

Thank you! More will be coming shortly!

On 12/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, -kj said:

These are insane.  I'm in.

A coyote howling at the moon on the top of the mesa would be pretty cool.

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's a quick attempt at that...

OFkZ1Rr.png

Pg6aJDy.png

At least on this first attempt, the subtlety of a sublimated coyote silhouette felt more at home on this jersey than red/orange, but sand-colored is also somewhat decent. I also don't think my silhouette gels with the full-body Kachina logo, so I replaced the logo on the helmet with the Moon logo.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (BOS & BUF added)
On 12/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, Lights Out said:

That Sabres concept is brilliant and would honestly work well as the basis for a full-time uniform set.

Thank you! While it wouldn't be my preference for the full set, it could work, assuming gold swords are acceptable and not too Minecrafty or lightsaber-y : P

NAUy6Yj.png

On 12/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, scottyeagle said:

Yeah, that Sabres jersey is insanely good. The Bruins also give me a leather-helmet football vibe that I really like as well. Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us!

Glad you like the Bruins; I hadn't thought of it, but you're totally right, it's got some Chicago Bears helmet vibes! Anyways, here's more leather-helmet vibes for you:

9lCfwCx.png

On 12/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

These are straight fire. I agree with the general concensus that the Sabres jersey is the best here, but everything else looks really good too.

Glad you like it so far!

Thank you for all the encouragement so far!

Moving on to Carolina and Calgary!

SlbE4tu.png

SdrSqWn.png

Carolina gets an H made of hurricane signal flags, which has been done before in this logo by @Ti-Nick, but AFAIK it's never been a jersey.

Calgary's flame design is lovingly ripped from the old Atlanta Flames logo (RIP). According to Inkscape's filter, the red and yellow seem to have enough brightness contrast for red-green color blindness, but I'm willing to add white somewhere if it would help.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (CAR & CGY added)

This is fantastic! I was expecting sort of a lazy copy paste series where you just fill in the original template of the flying V's with the new team's colors, but these are so creative and fun. These are so out of the box I love it. Favorites so far are definitely the sabres, flames, and the old time Bruins. That flames one is really special, would love to see it in red or white as well. I totally agree that the sabres could be a full time set too, its subtle enough to pass, yet incredibly unique. I'm very excited to see what you have for my NJ Devils, I was thinking maybe incorporating the devil tail somehow??? 

7 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

This is fantastic! I was expecting sort of a lazy copy paste series where you just fill in the original template of the flying V's with the new team's colors, but these are so creative and fun. These are so out of the box I love it. Favorites so far are definitely the sabres, flames, and the old time Bruins. That flames one is really special, would love to see it in red or white as well. I totally agree that the sabres could be a full time set too, its subtle enough to pass, yet incredibly unique. I'm very excited to see what you have for my NJ Devils, I was thinking maybe incorporating the devil tail somehow??? 

Thanks! I'm glad the series is surpassing your expectation :P 

I wasn't sure what would be a good name for the series, so if anyone has any ideas that might avoid giving off copy-paste-the-Flying-V impressions, I'd appreciate it!

A tail is a really great idea for the Devils! I'll see if I can incorporate into what I had planned for them, and if not, maybe I'll try it as a second version.

7 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

its subtle enough to pass

Really appreciate this remark; I'm glad there's some subtlety / reserved-ness coming through on these loud designs!

Anyways, here's Calgary in white and red for you:

VJkypaE.png

nHUm3x3.png

Next is a very civic pair; they're the first of that vein but won't be the last:

IbrcTeF.png

mpsCQS6.png

Chicago's is based on their 2019 Winter Classic '30s throwbacks and the Municipal Device of Chicago.

Columbus's is based on the Ohio Flag, has a stylized and sublimated Ohio silhouette, and pollutes the team's beautiful alternate colors with their boring primary colors.  Oh well :P

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (CHI & CLB added)
16 hours ago, vtgco said:

I wasn't sure what would be a good name for the series, so if anyone has any ideas that might avoid giving off copy-paste-the-Flying-V impressions, I'd appreciate it!

A tail is a really great idea for the Devils! I'll see if I can incorporate into what I had planned for them, and if not, maybe I'll try it as a second version.

Really appreciate this remark; I'm glad there's some subtlety / reserved-ness coming through on these loud designs!

VJkypaE.png

nHUm3x3.png

That red flames jersey is spectacular.... love the Sabres one as well. 

On 12/16/2021 at 3:05 AM, vtgco said:

Moving on to Carolina and Calgary!

SlbE4tu.png

SdrSqWn.png

Carolina gets an H made of hurricane signal flags, which has been done before in this logo by @Ti-Nick, but AFAIK it's never been a jersey.

Calgary's flame design is lovingly ripped from the old Atlanta Flames logo (RIP). According to Inkscape's filter, the red and yellow seem to have enough brightness contrast for red-green color blindness, but I'm willing to add white somewhere if it would help.

Both of these would work as well. I love the H with the Hurricanes jersey; feels like a slight nod to Hartford Whalers as well

ZUH86xc.png

On 12/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, vtgco said:

VJkypaE.png

nHUm3x3.png

These should just be in Calgarys regular rotation

ZUH86xc.png

3 hours ago, johne9109 said:

These should just be in Calgarys regular rotation

Thank you; I'd like to think that one of these would be a better alternate than the awkward holdover alternate they have :P

3 hours ago, johne9109 said:

Both of these would work as well. I love the H with the Hurricanes jersey; feels like a slight nod to Hartford Whalers as well

I guess you're right about the negative space letter H; that reference was unintentional. I guess I'd prefer a subtle nod over Carolina using the full Whalers uniform, which should stay in Hartford!

4 hours ago, johne9109 said:

This Sabres uni would be a great Stadium Series

Thanks, Stadium Series jerseys (for better or worse) have been an inspiration for these concepts, so I'm glad these uniforms feel like they'd fit in!

On 12/17/2021 at 7:42 AM, Karnage84 said:

That red flames jersey is spectacular.... love the Sabres one as well. 

Glad you like them!

Just some edits to Colorado's Stadium Series jersey, which had a really good idea but not the best execution:

aIHHqMt.png

And Dallas's old star uniform gets a bevel-tastic update to fit with their modern branding:

G0n01qi.png

Suggestions on improving the back of this jersey would be appreciated.

Archived