NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ATL/KC/QC/HFD added, Series Complete!)

vtgco

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

I think the star version is my favorite too, looks a lot less dull than the others. The wild look good as well, I might prefer the red jersey there

Okay, good to know the Star version is a good route to take!

12 hours ago, Blindsay said:

I actually want the star version of the Knights Jersey, also can I see a red-circa 2000 version of the Sabres?

I've never been a fan of the Goathead era Sabres branding, but it certainly can be done in this style! I can't help myself from removing some of the bajillion shadow/highlight colors on the swords, though:

DHZh25l.png

16 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The no hem stripe version of the Knights is my fave - looks all business. The Flying V version works a treat too.

For MN, I prefer the red, the contrast between the colours feels more in your face than the black and green. Would be interested in seeing if a version with white shoulders and trees, a green M and main back, and a havest gold star (from the roundel logo) would work.

Yeah, the older North Stars colors reference works too, assuming those trees can read as snow-covered:

CbWJzxK.png

Thanks for that suggestion!

However, the comment about the contrast on the black and green version led to me to a potential fix for it:

ew2hUjC.png

I know I've kinda done this idea before, but I went with a more explicit Aurora Borealis vibe for this jersey. It's not at as true to the Wild and/or North Stars branding, but the contrast should be better now!

And for the Habs, a design that I imagine could be described as simultaneously too blasphemous and too safe...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hRF1033.png

Montreal gets the red cross representing the City flag and the Mount Royal cross, but with an added blue stripe to maintain the Canadiens-ness of it... Maybe it's got Icelandic vibes more than anything, though : P

The fleur-de-lys, thistle, pine, shamrock, and rose from the flag appear above the player name.

Thank you for your continuing feedback!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (MTL added)

I wanted to do at least one map somehow, and I thought that it worked really well for New Jersey:

6OfFlBP.png

The tail idea from @jaytavo305 feels like it ought to stand on its own, so it'll get its own version shortly.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (MTL & NJ added)

Happy New Year, folks!

On 12/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, jaytavo305 said:

I love the last group, everything from the new Wild updates to the devils set look great! As a Jersey guy I approve of a sweater with a giant state outline on it! Excited to see that tail design 

Glad the state map version gets a local's seal of approval!

Here's my take that tail idea of yours:

nt91yZG.png

So we have an asymmetrical hem stripe on the back for the tail, but I couldn't quite get it take up enough of the front, so I brought in another pointy Satanic prop, a pitchfork!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (NJv2 added)
On 1/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, jaytavo305 said:

That looks great! Not sure which one I prefer, they're both really awesome. 

Glad both pass the test! Thanks again for the inspiration for v2.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

The pitchfork & tail version looks great, but I think the New Jersey map design is the winner.  The map idea is awesome, and I like how you incorporated both black and green.

I'm definitely proud of the color balancing on v1! Thank you for the kind words.

Next up is a slightly silly one for Nashville:

vjemc3K.png

Love the team's IRL use of a string pattern, so why not throw in the whole guitar?

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (NSH added)
6 hours ago, vtgco said:

Glad both pass the test! Thanks again for the inspiration for v2.

I'm definitely proud of the color balancing on v1! Thank you for the kind words.

Next up is a slightly silly one for Nashville:

vjemc3K.png

Love the team's IRL use of a string pattern, so why not throw in the whole guitar?

Now THAT is what they should have done for the stadium series

On 1/3/2022 at 11:54 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

Now THAT is what they should have done for the stadium series

Thank you! Glad it has "good Stadium Series jersey" vibes :)

I'm feeling very indecisive for the Islanders, so I'll let you lovely folks decide!

f0JGNBY.png

This version came first, and is a Fisherman jersey homage, though it's meant to feel a bit more calm and oceanic than '90s-tastic.

I wasn't super happy with it, so I tried something else inspired by that jersey's Lighthouse shoulder patch... But I can't decide on the color hierarchy to use!

PQ4ldQ1.png

7o0oVp3.png

I guess if I wanted to unify these two into a set I'd ditch the pants stripes, but I'm curious which looks better to people.

Anyways, between these three takes (and @StevenGrant94's outstanding idea that low-key beat me at my own game here) there are lots of options to choose from! Which is your favorite?

C&C appreciated!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (NYIv1 & v2 added)

The blue lighthouse version. Everything on that version just clicks more for me than the Fisherman or the orange version of the Lighthouse design. I think a white lighthouse jersey with a blue beam and an orange and blue lighthouse could work.

Dude 🤣 that fisherman inspired one is so sick. I agree that a white lighthouse jersey could ultimately be the winner, but all 3 of these are so cool. I really like the Isles branding, the lighthouse and fisherman stripe along with the colors always look really clean. I love all 3 of these options, and I really think the white one could pop and look amazing.

On 1/5/2022 at 6:30 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The blue lighthouse version. Everything on that version just clicks more for me than the Fisherman or the orange version of the Lighthouse design. I think a white lighthouse jersey with a blue beam and an orange and blue lighthouse could work.

I think at this point, after having posted it and everything, that I feel best about that blue one (except for the pants, still trying to figure that out!)

22 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

Dude 🤣 that fisherman inspired one is so sick. I agree that a white lighthouse jersey could ultimately be the winner, but all 3 of these are so cool. I really like the Isles branding, the lighthouse and fisherman stripe along with the colors always look really clean. I love all 3 of these options, and I really think the white one could pop and look amazing.

Okay, it's good to hear that my wave one works too! Yeah, the Isles have some good colors and brand elements! I was gonna go with Fisherman-era navy at first, but the royal looks a lot better for this team IMO!

Anyways, here's the best of my recolorations for a white lighthouse jersey; I'm pretty happy with it:

XBVDisW.png

I wasn't crazy about the blue beam idea, but you can see it and the rest of my recoloration attempts here!

Thanks for the help with this one!

And from the other side of the city, here's the Rangers:

I1iqUZU.png

Here's an ever-so-slightly Art-Deco nod to the Empire State Building. I love the Rangers' Stadium Series jersey, so I went with navy, and that especially beautiful N.Y. shield logo appears on the helmet and pants.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (NYR added)
On 1/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, chcarlson23 said:

So does each sock for the Rangers match the side it’s on? So one red and one blue?

Yeah, that's the idea! I figure that, with a solid blue helmet and solid red pants, that's the best way to keep it balanced.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, jaytavo305 said:

Really cool for the rangers as well. I think personally my favorite of the islanders white ones is option A, but they all look awesome. 

Thank you! Yeah, I guess option A feels the most cohesive/structured color-wise (especially the pants!)

Next up is Ottawa!

5DGq2Bj.png

I don't know why the Senators' latest update involved dropping the Silver Seven barber-pole angle altogether, but maybe they could restore the old-timey look in a futuristic way with this idea!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (OTT added)
23 hours ago, vtgco said:

I don't know why the Senators' latest update

That's all you really needed to say. 😄

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived