NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ATL/KC/QC/HFD added, Series Complete!)

vtgco

On 1/10/2022 at 3:02 PM, -kj said:

That's all you really needed to say. 😄

I mean, I at least know why they ditched that 3D Senator logo... :P

Here's Philadelphia:

80mFA88.png

So this one is inspired by the teal and black unused '90s Flyers jersey uncovered by icethetics. I originally had an orange and black recreation of that jersey prepared for the series, but I'm not feeling very happy with it, so instead I pivoted to make it look like the Liberty Bell.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (PHI added)
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And moving on to the in-state rivals:

rjjGoF8.png

Inspired by the Steelers' '60s jersey, it's the Golden Triangle surrounded by the blue & white checkboard of the city seal. Perhaps this is too close to the Sabres (or even the original Flying V), but I'm happy with it... If you have an alternate idea for something more distinct, though, I'd be happy to hear it!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (PHI & PIT added)
2 hours ago, vtgco said:

rjjGoF8.png

Inspired by the Steelers' '60s jersey, it's the Golden Triangle surrounded by the blue & white checkboard of the city seal. Perhaps this is too close to the Sabres (or even the original Flying V), but I'm happy with it... If you have an alternate idea for something more distinct, though, I'd be happy to hear it!

In a parallel world, where the Pens are the ones coming up with the Flying-V and the Canucks stay normal even with the switch to black, red, and gold.

Speaking of which, can you make a set for me to see? Please?

15 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

In a parallel world, where the Pens are the ones coming up with the Flying-V and the Canucks stay normal even with the switch to black, red, and gold.

Speaking of which, can you make a set for me to see? Please?

I don't think the Penguins were black & yellow by that time; so it would've been an especially big change for them! Also, I'm not crazy about trying to make the Stick in Rink work as a primary logo in black/red/yellow, though I think there are other ways for that '70s Canucks change to work a bit more orthodoxly...

Anyways, here's a quick away jersey for you:

G7Slhny.png

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

rjjGoF8.png

Really like this look, but the sleeves feel a little incomplete. Maybe put the checkerboard pattern underneath the sleeve stripes?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 1/14/2022 at 1:20 PM, GriffinM6 said:

Really like this look, but the sleeves feel a little incomplete. Maybe put the checkerboard pattern underneath the sleeve stripes?

Thanks for the suggestion! I think it looked a bit better on top of the sleeve stripes, and then full cuffs felt more appropriate, and then yellow pants felt suitable :P

3JHOZrc.png

FpRob0l.png

On 1/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, jaytavo305 said:

Good lord that Philly unused teal set is absolutely ridiculous. Hahaha. I like both PA teams, but I agree that maybe the checkerboard on the sleeves could be a nice touch to tie it all in.

Yeah that jersey's kinda silly, and that giant alt logo didn't match the style of the primary logo at all... But I suppose it looked better *with* teal than my attempt at making it without ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's my hometown team; still excited to make it to a game at some point:

pCpL4b3.png

This one places a tentacle in the shape of the wave from the upper left of the Seattle city flag. Also, I think the Kraken totally missed out by not going with beveled numbers IRL to go with their beveled logo...

If you're wondering about the sleeve patch, it's my sloppy first draft at an Inaugural Season logo.

I wasn't crazy about the real one they went with; the waves felt a bit sloppy and the composition of the shield felt a bit uninteresting.

Anyways, my idea was to go with a depiction of the arena's iconic roof:

nRzbHvK.png

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (SEA added)
1 hour ago, vtgco said:

Here's my hometown team; still excited to make it to a game at some point:

pCpL4b3.png

This one places a tentacle in the shape of the wave from the upper left of the Seattle city flag. Also, I think the Kraken totally missed out by not going with beveled numbers IRL to go with their beveled logo...

If you're wondering about the sleeve patch, it's my sloppy first draft at an Inaugural Season logo.

I wasn't crazy about the real one they went with; the waves felt a bit sloppy and the composition of the shield felt a bit uninteresting.

Anyways, my idea was to go with a depiction of the arena's iconic roof:

nRzbHvK.png

Absolutely LOVE this color scheme! WAY better than the real ones!!! And those numbers are just a sparkle from an emerald jewel! 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:21 AM, jgamarra2511 said:

Absolutely LOVE this color scheme! WAY better than the real ones!!! And those numbers are just a sparkle from an emerald jewel! 

Thank you! As a Seattle guy, I was bummed they didn't try just a bit harder to get some green in there, and that they went with straight red rather than salmon, so I couldn't help but make those minor adjustments!

Next up is San Jose:

bPaGyZV.png

The Sharks get a design inspired by their diamond-shaped alt logo.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (SJ added)
On 1/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, vtgco said:

Thank you! As a Seattle guy, I was bummed they didn't try just a bit harder to get some green in there, and that they went with straight red rather than salmon, so I couldn't help but make those minor adjustments!

Next up is San Jose:

bPaGyZV.png

The Sharks get a design inspired by their diamond-shaped alt logo.

Ngl (This isn't your fault btw) Not a fan of the sharks using orange as a primary color seeing as they only using it in like 2-3% of their logo.

6 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Ngl (This isn't your fault btw) Not a fan of the sharks using orange as a primary color seeing as they only using it in like 2-3% of their logo.

I'm of the opinion that the solution to this problem is for the Sharks to go with more of it in their logo!

A white jersey works okay, too, I guess:

gonA6lM.png

21 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Pens set with the sleeve stripes are brilliant.

The patch for Kraken looks right on the money, and I do like the Green and Salmon Pink in the colour scheme.

Thank you; glad to hear that I've gone in the right direction on that Kraken patch!

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (STL added)
15 hours ago, vtgco said:

I'm of the opinion that the solution to this problem is for the Sharks to go with more of it in their logo!

A white jersey works okay, too, I guess:

gonA6lM.png

That looks way too much like the Mighty Ducks' white jerseys, IMHO.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The orange you've used for SJ looks more like an Old Gold to me, but that's almost certainly because I'm from England and it's close to a shade that Wolves used. It looks really good though and fits.

I would be interested in seeing STL with the Trumpet design in their current colours.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:49 AM, jaytavo305 said:

Now that's awesome. 🤣

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

That looks way too much like the Mighty Ducks' white jerseys, IMHO.

Yeah, the orange/yellow base is my preference for this jersey over the white... If neither of those appeal to you, I guess one more color I could do is black/dark gray, sorta Stealth jersey style?

1jeftsZ.png

Though I'll say that San Jose wore a white and teal jersey before Anaheim did, and AFAIK neither have worn teal pants... I've thought it was kinda odd the Ducks chose to go with Sharks teal + Kings purple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The orange you've used for SJ looks more like an Old Gold to me, but that's almost certainly because I'm from England and it's close to a shade that Wolves used. It looks really good though and fits.

I would be interested in seeing STL with the Trumpet design in their current colours.

Glad that color fits for San Jose! I like that it's like Wolverhampton and it sits somewhere on the blurry orange/yellow line; after all, gold makes sense for the Golden State.

Here's a navy version of the trumpet jersey; I brightened up the royal color a bit to make it feel less somber: a5nsTyx.png

I suppose this basic idea is pretty obvious; it was one of the first ideas I had for the series:

iwLVPyR.png

Royal blue makes way for Electric Blue, and the gradient shoutout to the Devil Rays was me feeling like an otherwise simple design needed an extra touch.

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (TB added)
2 hours ago, vtgco said:

Though I'll say that San Jose wore a white and teal jersey before Anaheim did,

Well, my concern wasn't just about the color. It was the combination of the color (white base with teal-dominant striping) and the fact that it has angular striping. Those two together automatically invite comparisons to that Anaheim jersey.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived